PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Campaign and your Heroic Wingmen

BWaltteri
02-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Hello!

I am rather new to this forum, but I have read these messages for a long time already and I didn't found a topic about Dynamic Campaign wingmen.

My question is how great wingmen you have had in your squadron?

I have had few men who achieved 70 or more kills but then they either died, were wounded or were transferred to Flight School.

Once my wingman shoot down 6 enemy fighters - that was pretty cool.

Then I had another wingman who during the campaign shot down 3 times an enemy ace.

- I also wonder are some wingmen by nature more talented than others, or am I only dreaming?

Uncle_Stranger
02-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Hey there!

AI wingmen impress you?
From my experience they are frustrating as a buffon whom is overdosed with speed.
Kill stealers, shoulder shooters, don't cover your back even if ordered to, sometimes decide to go on their own... do you have all night?

But I'm glad that you find them helpfull.

And yes, you are right. There are four different skill levels for AI:
Rookie, regular, veteran and I pwn you from 1000 meters in your head.

BWaltteri
02-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Well, the wingmen are my pets, or plants - if you learn their methods (or algorhythms) they they may turn out to be useful.

PBNA-Boosher
02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
If I'm flying a cannon armed aircraft then my wingmen are generally okay. But if my aircraft has only MG's, particularly if it's an aircraft like the I-16 type 18, Mc.200, etc..., then they're kill stealing sons of b*tches that ought to be put down. I'll flame a Bf-109 or a P-40 only to find that instead of chasing the four planes tailing me, my wingies go straight for the bogey I'd just flamed.

BWaltteri
02-21-2008, 10:58 AM
I don't complain about stealing kills because the wingmen get better once you allow them few kills.

I wondered about that when I encontered an enemy ace, the Ace was a snack for the wingman with 40 kills.

SeaFireLIV
02-21-2008, 10:59 AM
I play DCG and it comes and goes with them. My wingmen have a tougher life cos they`re Russian at the start of the war so they have inferior planes. usually, the best will get 4-5 kills before he`s hot down and killed. Problem is, the Axis AI increase skill at a greater rate and lose fewer Aces. It takes a miraculous lucky wingman to achive kills in double figures at the moment. I was quite please when i saw one wingman in a crappy lagg shoot down 3 He111s alone! That was a rare one.

The Russians are always overwhelmed so getting even good cover is tough.

The ratio will improve as more capable planes are introduced.

The AI do come in 4 flavours and improve over time if they live long enough. the wingman you got getting 70 kills must`ve been an Ace when he joined.

BWaltteri
02-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Yes, there was a 39 kill ace in the squadron when I started.

But this guy came as a rookie.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/Enrico_Zapata/screenshots/Il2screenshot.jpg

cawimmer430
02-21-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm doing a Seafire pilot career in the Pacific now and I'm racking up kill after kill (Zero's burn so easily). There was a guy in my flight squad called "Langford" who was quite the hotshot with over 40 kills. He was killed in the last mission, I saw it happen.

Langford, me and another guy just took off from our carrier and were heading towards Iwo Jima I believe when we're bounced by two N1KJ's. The lead George scores a direct hit on Langford's Seafire and she blows up in midair. Our leading ace, dead. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I did get the George who did it, but it took a lot of MG and cannon ammo! The N1KJ is one tough Japanese bird! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

LW_lcarp
02-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Had one hotshot AI wingy that scored 23 kills.

After Id flame a Zeke or a hyabusha(sp) he would fly past me and shoot the plane while it was spinning out of control.

Now that angered me to no end as he did it so many times so after one mission we were flying back to base I has them rejoin formation.

We get back to base I tell my flight to RTB at 100 meters and all three in my flight took to landing their planes into the middle of the jungle.

And that was the end of that AI ace. I jumped up from my chair and gave a hoot that scared everyone in the house.

BWaltteri
02-22-2008, 02:50 AM
I knew there are some. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I remember reading somewhere that it may be even more important in Il-2 to save the wingmen than to complete the mission. This however is only true in the Dynamic Campaign.

Haigotron
02-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey caw, nothing like seeing one of the best of your team die in front of your eyes...happened to me to, on the easter front...I still have nightmares....

Covino
02-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I've found, the most important thing is keeping your squadmates alive and giving them kills. Sometimes I drag cons for wingmen to take out. Other times I order them around, only entering combat to clear their tails.
It's tough with a bunch of novices at first but they do become very good and can fend for themselves. My only AI complaint is that they can spend all their ammo shooting at a point one foot behind the enemy.

qlc1
02-23-2008, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Covino:
I've found, the most important thing is keeping your squadmates alive and giving them kills. Sometimes I drag cons for wingmen to take out. Other times I order them around, only entering combat to clear their tails.
It's tough with a bunch of novices at first but they do become very good and can fend for themselves. My only AI complaint is that they can spend all their ammo shooting at a point one foot behind the enemy.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
might be my imagination,but i think ai gunners learn too.

BWaltteri
02-24-2008, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Covino:

If I get the mission of shooting enemy transporters down, I try to give wingmen as much of them as is possible. Once my rookie wingman shot down 4 transporters.

When a wingman becomes an ace he can may be able to shoot enemy down right from the head-on pass. The certain quality in some particular wingmen has left me wonder do some of them have innate intrinsic quality, that makes them superaces in the long run.

Or it may be that I have played too much football manager games before Il-2.