PDA

View Full Version : What type of server????

OC77th-Stone
09-16-2005, 11:57 PM
OK, after spending big bucks on a 40 slot server, and lots of hours on map building, getting frustrated with little reponse to our server...
What is everyone's favorite settings to play in Hyper Lobby?
OC77th is currently running Limited icons, cockpit on and no externals....Using il2 Server commander and tracking stats.
Give me some feedback
S!

CD_kp84yb
09-17-2005, 02:01 AM
I have been on your server a few times, and i like the settings you run, I use the same settings.
I stopped with my dedicated server on hyperlobby, cos what settings (full switch,lower switch) or planeset or map you use there is not much activity,
Hahaha i read in the forums ppl complain about the 262 banned(not on mine, fantasy planes and planes that where not used are) so i set up a scripted on with only jetplanes (262, He162 and P80 ok i know its against my history settings ) and guess what . No soul is interested.
Looks like there are to many servers on hyperlobby, thats why i want to host on Ubi but the stubborn Ubi wont change the routerissue.
And ppl want the uber big guns planes, there is no interest in mid or early war planes.
I only run the server when some of my squad or friends ask for it.

Btw i flew on a Biplane server yesterday and i loved it, but same prob here only 5 or 6 in

regards

xTHRUDx
09-17-2005, 02:19 AM
server preference order by most is:
1. good ping
if yes, then
2. amount of players present
if enough, then
3.server settings
if acceptable, then join

it's hard to build a patronage on a server.
sometimes friends and i set idle on a server to make appear have to people playing. once people start to join, others will join. it's like looking up and pointing at nothing, one looks up to see what the other is looking at and another comes by to see what the other 2 are looking at, etc. the next thing you know everyone is looking up. it's up to you, the server admin, to keep their attention once it's there.

rnzoli
09-17-2005, 11:51 AM
More than anything, it's about building a good community, a group of regular visitors. That will pull in the occasional crowd as well.

To build the community, maps, pings, difficulty settings DON'T matter, in fact. On my server I have recurring people with bad pings, people that hate the current map, and newbees despite full switch settings with death suspension.

Start building that community by being on your own server, and helping every new visitor to have fun (whatever way you define it).You have to be there, sometimes alone for a long time, and then nurture the newcomers, look after their questions, help them to gain something every time they come, sometimes even allow them to win the fights so that they revisit again, perhaps with their friends. This is the way to gain recognition, IMO.

rnzoli
09-17-2005, 12:03 PM
I just want to add a funny comment. I was expecting on my low-end 6-slot server about 2-3 people that I can play with or against.

Well, it goes idle for most of the time. But when people start to join in busy hours, it gets full in a matter of minutes. Several times I could not access and play on my server... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Of course I had the urge to kick someone easily from the console, but refrained from it. This is part of the community building stuff.