PDA

View Full Version : Fixed my strange video freeze/sound loop

Typ356
11-10-2004, 02:36 PM
In case it helps someone else... I've had this weird video freeze accompanied by a sound loop crash with a lot of games lately. All processor/graphic intensive, such as Far cry, Battlefront or recently Pacific fighters...

I installed Motherboard monitor, which not only measures temperatures but logs them to a file so you can go after a crash see the escalating temps ! Invariably, my PC (Athlon XP 2100) was more likely to crash when running above 50C. While not that hot by athlon standard, it was a serious correlation...

I bought a Cooler master Aero 7+ or something similar, a weird contraption that does not look like a conventional CPU fan and comes with a huge heat sink and a dial to play with fan speed. Put it on yesterday with Silver compound. I've played 3h of PF without a crash (impossible before). The temps never exceeded 40C, 30C at idle !!! That's with the fan at 1/2 speed. At full speed (noisy) the CPU was cooler than my motherboard !!! Anyway - problem solved ! I highly recommend that funny looking cooler for you guys with the sound/graphic freeze !

Typ356
11-10-2004, 02:36 PM
In case it helps someone else... I've had this weird video freeze accompanied by a sound loop crash with a lot of games lately. All processor/graphic intensive, such as Far cry, Battlefront or recently Pacific fighters...

I installed Motherboard monitor, which not only measures temperatures but logs them to a file so you can go after a crash see the escalating temps ! Invariably, my PC (Athlon XP 2100) was more likely to crash when running above 50C. While not that hot by athlon standard, it was a serious correlation...

I bought a Cooler master Aero 7+ or something similar, a weird contraption that does not look like a conventional CPU fan and comes with a huge heat sink and a dial to play with fan speed. Put it on yesterday with Silver compound. I've played 3h of PF without a crash (impossible before). The temps never exceeded 40C, 30C at idle !!! That's with the fan at 1/2 speed. At full speed (noisy) the CPU was cooler than my motherboard !!! Anyway - problem solved ! I highly recommend that funny looking cooler for you guys with the sound/graphic freeze !

steve_v
11-10-2004, 02:51 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/553.gif