PDA

View Full Version : How come?

siemerh
11-21-2003, 07:49 AM
I Teledahn, when I am standing at the gun looking out to sea, as the sun rotates I can see the shadows and light shift but as the sun passes over the water there is no reflection. How come?
Bud

Where it written?

siemerh
11-21-2003, 07:49 AM
I Teledahn, when I am standing at the gun looking out to sea, as the sun rotates I can see the shadows and light shift but as the sun passes over the water there is no reflection. How come?
Bud

Where it written?

CosimoDeMedici
11-21-2003, 10:30 AM
I think the programmers were real lazy with their solar effects in Uru Prime. Not only is there no reflection, but the "sun" looks like an ugly plate in the sky.

In another thread, someone posted a Uru Live screen of a beach, and that looked like it had some proper solar effects. Someone clearly went back and reworked the sun for the sake of realism.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by siemerh:
Bud

Where it written?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moleculor
11-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Actually, the misty plate of pale light they call a sun in that age is that way by design.

The Dn'i had been living underground without natural sunlight for eight THOUSAND years by the time that age was written. Their eyes were very sensitive. In fact, they had sunglasses made for everyone to use when visiting the brighter ages (as some ages -needed- to be brighter to have the 'garden' feel with lush plant and animal life).

CosimoDeMedici
11-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Right!

And Uru Live will be opened once it has been made "safe" by the DRC.

Srikandi
11-21-2003, 06:39 PM
"Lazy" is a bit unfair. In what game have you seen real-time reflection for moving objects lately?

That involves ray-tracing, which is something you aren't going to see in 3D animation for a while. Takes too long. So you won't see your avatar reflected in the pools either.

The refraction and reflection you saw in earlier Myst games could be rendered overnight, not in a 30th of a second.

CosimoDeMedici
11-21-2003, 11:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Srikandi:
"Lazy" is a bit unfair. In what game have you seen real-time reflection for moving objects lately?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it's unfair...and I only meant it as a relative term. There is so much attention paid to detail in Uru, that I felt the "sun" looked a little rushed in comparison to the rest of the excellent graphics. Also, as I said earlier, I've seen an Uru Live screenshot floating around of a beach that shows a much more realistic sun and, IIRC, solar reflection off the water.

As far as other games that show some reflection? What about Morrowind? Unreal? Onimusha? Seems like there are quite a few...but maybe you were referring to a different kind of reflection than I was.

In any case...I don't think I'm complaining, just observing.

Srikandi
11-22-2003, 03:17 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to sound argumentative. I agree that the Teledahn sun itself could have looked better. Reflection is a different matter, though.

Don't know about Unreal and Onimusha, but in Morrowind you will only see static objects (landscape) reflected in the water. Never your character, or a creature. As for the beach screenie, does the sun move in that location? Some Uru locations have passing time, others don't... if it's always sunset at the beach, you can use a "reflection map" to give the appearance of a reflection.

Personally, I'd love to have a wall mirror in my Relto, but alas I think it can't be done. Have to make do with the one in the closet. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif