PDA

View Full Version : Should clocks tick in planes?

ushawk1
06-21-2005, 12:52 PM
I have noticed that all the aircraft in the IL2 series have ticking clocks. In those days the clocks would have been mechanical or electric, and the second hand would sweep, not tick like a quartz. Even today in some military aircraft there is still the old five day clock, that you have to wind. I have a few of them myself I got from A-10's and Blackhawks. I am sure the makers the game are aware of this, but why not go with a sweep second hand?

LEXX_Luthor
06-21-2005, 01:58 PM
A really fascinating post. Maybe ticks are easier to mod, or they save fractional fps.

um, don't worry about it, you know, enjoy the Dogfight. Its a neat topic though. Thanks.

I wish all planes had a Pilot Watch modded in the (empty) cockpit seat, for planes that don't have a cockpit clock. Look down to see the time.

Wellcome to Forgotten Board

x6BL_Brando
06-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Actually no. Mechanical clocks of the period often had their seconds hand on an escapement, and that hand clicked across at every second. Likewise the minutes hand, with only the hour hand being driven (almost) directly by the uncoiling mainspring. It's a simple matter of gearing.

The earliest electric clocks were in fact electro-mechanical. The electric motor only replaced the mainspring - the escapement movement was still used to regulate the raw input from the motor.

You're correct in that suggesting that a few a/c had the more modern type, but the technology wasn't fully implemented before the end of the conflict.

Taylortony
06-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Correct the pointers do click in real life on them.. nice touch ingame is it is set to your pc time so is correct and allows you to see how log you have been playing, pity they didnt have an alarm facility http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Wilburnator
06-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Mechanical clocks tick. Surprise.

SeaFireLIV
06-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Amazing the subjects that get queried here. Anyway, I too am impressed by the clock detail and use it quite often in flight.

han freak solo
06-22-2005, 06:24 AM
Hey, people. Please, please, please, don't talk Oleg and crew to get rid of the clock ticking!!

It's the only thing I get to listen to when the Me-163 runs out of fuel!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif