PDA

View Full Version : No point

Avont29
08-03-2006, 02:04 PM
theres us tno point, i keep getting killed, i try to evade them as long as i can, but when i die and refly or bial and refly i just do the same thig over again...get targets, get shot, bail or die
i've gotten one kill out of the 2 days i've been playing and thats cause that plane was already damaged. im not getting any better, just keep getting killed

Avont29
08-03-2006, 02:04 PM
theres us tno point, i keep getting killed, i try to evade them as long as i can, but when i die and refly or bial and refly i just do the same thig over again...get targets, get shot, bail or die
i've gotten one kill out of the 2 days i've been playing and thats cause that plane was already damaged. im not getting any better, just keep getting killed

triad773
08-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Persistance. Practice, and more practice. That's one of the things that makes this sim so cool... it's depth, challenges, and variety.

If you stay with it I think you will be glad you did http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Maybe play with the difficulty settings to maybe get a handle on things and set them back to more difficult?

~S~

Dtools4fools
08-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Myabe chage your joystick settings as well. And shoot at close range, not far.
Try drones first, set a Quick Mission up with some empty weapons enemy planes...nobody will shoot back then...

Friendly_flyer
08-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Join a friend and fly wingman for each other, do a few co-ops or join a squadron. Teamwork was what made or broke the day back then, and it applies to this game as well.

danjama
08-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Maybe this isnt the game for you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

PBNA-Boosher
08-03-2006, 02:57 PM
You're most likely being too reckless. Download Hardball's Aircraft viewer and look at the stats of your plane and your opponents. Weigh those stats against your situation: Altitude above the enemy, amount of flak guns, range of your weapons, and most importantly, SPEED/Energy. If most of these situations favor you, you're good to go for an attack, if not, turn your tail and speed home.

Practicing gunnery wouldn't go amiss either. The 1 burst kill/cripple is VERY effective, especially when it's 1 on a lot.

TC_Stele
08-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I recommend this online Pilot's Guide to Online Combat "In Pursuit."

http://web.comhem.se/~u85627360/ (http://web.comhem.se/%7Eu85627360/)

Believe me, Avont29, we've all been there. Some of us are still there LOL. Just takes patience and dedication.

WB_Outlaw
08-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Took me months to get to the point where I could usually get 1 kill an hour online.

--Outlaw.

Taylortony
08-03-2006, 03:18 PM
what plane are you flying some are more forgiving than others, have you got your stick yet? you will get there and your first kill is something to savour, give it a little time padawn......... it will come, trust us we have all been there.............. might be an idea if someone will fly with you in a one to one to give you some tips http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Avont29
08-03-2006, 04:04 PM
well, yes im sticking with this game.

i think maybe its the weight, everytime i fly i would have like 2 really big size bombs or drop tanks, which come to think about it , i think it might be affected my takeoff

Avont29
08-03-2006, 04:05 PM
i like flying with the corsair, and spitfire, by the way can you download planes and import them into IL2 like cfs3?

danjama
08-03-2006, 04:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Avont29:
by the way can you download planes and import them into IL2 like cfs3? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no

Bearcat99
08-03-2006, 04:21 PM
This is no instant success sim... it takes time. Patience young Padewan.... patience....

Tully__
08-03-2006, 05:40 PM
This is not at all like most games. It takes many days (for some players many weeks) to begin to get basic competence in combat. Excellence will take months to years. It's the same for all of us.

Avont29
08-03-2006, 05:49 PM
ok http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

i wonder if this game could help me fly better in Battlefield 1942 :|

DIRTY-MAC
08-03-2006, 06:00 PM
first get rid of all the bombs and stuff and go for default loadout and 50% of fuel, try out the LA5FN or Bf109G2 are among the most steady and forgiving planes,
they dont mind you yanking and banking them alot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif good luck

russ.nl
08-03-2006, 06:23 PM
So.... what's the problem? You're almost there http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

GBrutus
08-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Just to back up what everyone else said. Find an aircraft you are comfortable flying and stick with it. Learn all of it's abilities/traits and then you can begin to think about tactics and teaming up with a wingman. You'll hear people harping on about it like a seriously sh@gged record but gaining a height/energy advantage over your opponent is all it's about. It doesn't really matter if your gunnery skills aren't up to scratch yet, keep your height advantage and you dictate the fight. You'll fine tune the rest of your skills in time.

As far as I'm concerned, the starting out point is one of the most fun aspects of this sim. You'll get frustrated at times but gradually you'll pick things up. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

mortoma1958
08-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Learn the strengths of your plane and the weaknesses of the enemy plane/s. I just did a offline mission in the MC-205 and I ended up against two AI Yak-9Ds. We were at low level and they could run me down and out accelerate me easily, not to mention out turn me. But I found out I could substantially outclimb them above 3,000 meters, so I took advantage of it. I got above them and dove down on them guns blazing. Repeated process until both were grease spots on the ground. This just goes to show you there is usually a way to beat the enemy. You will learn if you keep practicing!!!! Be patient to learn and patient in each individual battle/dogfight.
If I would have been impatient and in a hurry to kill the Yaks, they would have killed me. Take your time and you will be the one who flies home and lands his plane after a long engagement.

VW-IceFire
08-03-2006, 10:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Avont29:
i like flying with the corsair, and spitfire, by the way can you download planes and import them into IL2 like cfs3? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What are your stragies with these planes? Do you tend to stall and loose control often? Do you often miss with your first shots on an enemy? Do you tend to fly low to the ground while in combat?

All of these things can conspire against you. You may also simply be having a bad day or week. Put it down for a few days and come back to it with a clear mind. We all have those days....I'm in a phase right now. I get into fighter combat and my shooting accuracy is just horrible...I'm doing all the right things but its just not my day or week. Next week I'll fly like **** but shoot well scoring hits on every target I attack.

Don't worry too much.

-HH- Beebop
08-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Don't fret about it. After a couple of days I was lucky to be able to take off the IL-2 which is one of the most stable planes in the game. This is the closest thing to a realistic WWII prop sim available. It was meant to be hard, like real flying.
It will come. Real pilots are given very easy to fly and forgiving trainers at first. As suggested above, choose a forgiving plane to learn the basics in. Then move to the more difficult planes, which may be your real favorites. Study some of the guides suggested above too. There's a wealth of information there that, due to the sims realism, can be applied to the game.
As for your shooting, remember, it took "only" five kills to be an ace. That right there tells you how difficult it was in real life. There weren't that many aces compared to the total number of pilots.
You can get there though. Several of our squad members become double and triple aces in a few hours of play. all it takes is a little paitence and practice, practice, practice.
You've come to the right place to learn though. There area lot of members who will be more than happy to help you out with any questions you have.

Finally, it was suggested that you might want to join a squadron. This is a great way to learn to fly and shoot. Most squadrons offer training and it's a great way to meet people who love the game. If you aren't sure about a squadron just yet, you might want to look into Joint Ops (http://www.joint-ops.com/joil2fb/default.asp). It's not a squadron but they take people with little or no experience and teach you from the ground up how to fly and shoot.

Good luck! See you in the virtual skies.

Avont29
08-04-2006, 06:10 AM
ok, thanks, you guys have been really helpful.

also is there a guide to learn the ranking system? i'd like to know what im looking at when i press the s key, which im pretty sure brings up the scores, and i don't know what im lookinG at aside from the names.

carguy_
08-04-2006, 07:03 AM
Did not read other replies.

My personal advice is always when you see that you are not getting progress you must change the methods.

Sticking to one plane works very well but you should fly your enemy planes to find how they handle.Frustration you get when flying them makes you remember their disadvantges.

stathem
08-04-2006, 07:12 AM
ok, thanks, you guys have been really helpful.

also is there a guide to learn the ranking system? i'd like to know what im looking at when i press the s key, which im pretty sure brings up the scores, and i don't know what im lookinG at aside from the names. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a ranking, it's just a list of people on hte server. You will always be top, server host will be second, then the list proceeds according to some chronological order of joining.

I can't recall exactly what it gives, not having played in a while, but it's something like

ping, (in white?) name, aircraft type player is flying, callsign (the no. or letters on the side of your aircraft), current points accrued since joining server.

F6_Ace
08-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Just thank your lucky stars that you are not 19 and a real life WW2 pilot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Advice? Go on a server and see who is good. Ask them if you can fly with them for a little while (tell them you won't get in their way and that you'll just follow them about and stick to them like sh*t to a blanket)

You'll probably find that they get a lot of altitude before they get near a combat area. You 'll probably find that they are communicating often. You'll probably find that they pick and choose fights. You'll probably find that they've noticed things that you haven't and have taken action automatically while you are still wondering what is going on.

It's called experience and it comes with time.

rnzoli
08-04-2006, 07:47 AM
^ I wonder how come: an F6 ace doesn't recommend using F6 more often? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Crash_Moses
08-04-2006, 08:09 AM
The Dauntless is a wonderful plane to learn to fly in...I think I even have some Texan skins laying around here somewhere.

If you're lucky your instructors won't let you fly anything else...at least...that's what happened to me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

F6_Ace
08-04-2006, 08:18 AM
He could use F6 but then he'd be just gaming.

I'd rather my new padawan start off in externals off servers so at least he'll think he isn't playing on an XBOX http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

joopy1974
08-04-2006, 08:31 AM
S!

I would agree with most of the suggestions in this thread. But a couple of guys mentioned the most important one; TEAMWORK! Get on comms (I use TeamSpeak) and group up with some guys.

F6_Ace's suggestion is a great one. Wing with someone who's willing to show you the ropes. You can either follow them or fly lead and have them cover you. They will let you know what your strong/weak points are and point out any mistakes that you made. Or, better yet, get with a whole group of guys, sit back and learn. You will pick up their lingo and tactics quickly. Before long, you'll be a part of the group, pulling your own weight, just like everyone else.

I'm not sure what you're preferences are, in terms of settings, but if you like "Full Switch" (some call it full difficulty) check out the Zekes vs. Wildcats and Spits vs. 109s servers, which can be found on HyperLobby. There are tons of great pilots there who would be willing to help you out and take you under their wing.

S!

4H_Joop

Avont29
08-04-2006, 06:30 PM
hey again, umm, how do i have someone fly with me or how do i fly with someone else? is there somehow i view thheir cockpit or something, or do you mean i follow them and watch them shoot other people. i don't think i can do that, cause i;ll get shot

also i just got my headset, and i downloaded and installed TeamSpeak, how do i work that with a server? i need to join server from TeamSpeak right?

TeufelHund84
08-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Do you veterans think it's safe to say that doing all this practice online instead of against AI is better?

In my eyes, fighting against the AI in almost every capacity is very discouraging to new players and should be reserved for those that have at least some experience. The simplified FM is what drives me bonkers the most.

Xiolablu3
08-04-2006, 08:48 PM
WHat servers are you flying on?

DOnt go straight to full real, you will get swamped and not have a good time.

You need to try the servers with more relaxed settings, so that you are not overwhelmed.

Send me a Private topic if you want some help.

Dont worry about people saying you need to start on full difficulty servers, whether they play on full difficulty or not, they are still playing a computer game, but some of them try not to admit it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Professor_1942
08-04-2006, 09:13 PM
ok http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

i wonder if this game could help me fly better in Battlefield 1942 :| </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A mediocre pilot in IL2 (like me) can easily dominate in BF1942, and BF2 is a complete joke (I never died in that game and eventually always got kicked for 'cheating'). So yes, it helps.

joopy1974
08-05-2006, 12:02 PM
hey again, umm, how do i have someone fly with me or how do i fly with someone else? is there somehow i view thheir cockpit or something, or do you mean i follow them and watch them shoot other people. i don't think i can do that, cause i;ll get shot

also i just got my headset, and i downloaded and installed TeamSpeak, how do i work that with a server? i need to join server from TeamSpeak right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

S!

First off, figure out which online server you want to fly on. This is assuming, of course, that you wish to fly online. Pick servers with settings that you prefer. Don't let anyone here in this Zoo tell you any different. This is your choice and it is determined by your own comfort level.

Next, find out what the TeamSpeak IP is for that particular server. Many online servers also run their own TS server. They should give you that information in the mission screen and most players that are playing on that server will have that info, as well. There may also be a password for the TS server. TS servers are usually broken down to channels. For example Blue, Red, Blue Fighters, Red bombers, etc. Cick on the header of the appropriate channel and you can communicate with your mates on that channel. You should be able to see who is on the channel, as soon as you connect to the TS server.

As for flying with someone, yes, you will have to fly with them and watch them shoot, or vice versa. Don't worry about getting shot down. It's going to happen. But you will find that, with time, it will happen less often. Also, when you are flying with a partner(s) you will have more eyes scanning the sky than just your own. This will drastically reduce the chances of being caught unaware.

Whether or not to practice online or off is another decision that is solely yours. There are pros and cons to both. I like to do both, depending on what I am practicing or testing. You'll get the feel for that eventually, too.

Don't be discouraged. The learning curve is large here. Try to learn from every mistake and remember that even the best get shot down sometimes and you can't win them all.

S!

4H_Joop