PDA

View Full Version : Ever play chicken with a destroyer - and win?!

bigvette
03-19-2005, 10:50 AM
So there I was staring down a oncoming destroyer coming straight at me, and I'll be darned if I'm moving out of the way! Needless to say, the bottom of his keel just nicked by bridge and sent my sub oscillating as high as 90 degrees, the insde command room view was awesome!

Well, my vessel ended up taking some damage, in fact the bridge was destroyed, but when I looked back on the free camera mode, I must have torn a Titanic-like hole underneath the water line, because she was making a b-line for the bottom and I never fied a shot!

Hey, anything can happen, and this sim is one of the best I have ever seen in all my years of gaming going back to 1988!

bigvette
03-19-2005, 10:50 AM
So there I was staring down a oncoming destroyer coming straight at me, and I'll be darned if I'm moving out of the way! Needless to say, the bottom of his keel just nicked by bridge and sent my sub oscillating as high as 90 degrees, the insde command room view was awesome!

Well, my vessel ended up taking some damage, in fact the bridge was destroyed, but when I looked back on the free camera mode, I must have torn a Titanic-like hole underneath the water line, because she was making a b-line for the bottom and I never fied a shot!

Hey, anything can happen, and this sim is one of the best I have ever seen in all my years of gaming going back to 1988!

soviet_warlord
03-19-2005, 11:03 AM
actually, the Titanic sunk in over two hours, after having a series of small holes strung along its port bow. I would say it was more of a... ummm.... nuclear bomb :P Its not often that destroyers sink in seconds lol!

finchOU
03-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Ramming effect needs to me fixed....Neal @ subsims stated that the U-boat wins like 4/5's of the time ramming things......not realistic

gravee01
03-19-2005, 11:22 AM
I had a similar experience in the Scapa Flow scenario. 3 destroyers sunk. 1 by torpedo. 2 by my deadly conning tower while at a shallow depth.

I heard one member of my crew celebrating after sinking a destroyer after it collided with my conning tower.

G