PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion for forests

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 02:02 AM
I like the large forest areas when im looking down on them, but they are hard to see when you are flying twords them at ground level, and often result in a crash.

Would it be possible to "outline" the forests with 3D tree models? or would this be too taxing on most peoples systems. Perhaps just an option for this in the settings

Thanks!

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 02:02 AM
I like the large forest areas when im looking down on them, but they are hard to see when you are flying twords them at ground level, and often result in a crash.

Would it be possible to "outline" the forests with 3D tree models? or would this be too taxing on most peoples systems. Perhaps just an option for this in the settings

Thanks!

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 02:06 AM
It shouldnt be too bad on even low end systems. A single texture with the tree on it that is repeated over and over again along the perimeter of the forest...

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 04:03 AM
yes i recommended this a while back. its not completely necessary, but it sure would save a lot of heartache.

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 06:13 AM
and so did i

"Bump"

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Sounds like a great idea. These forests look awful from down low.

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 10:32 AM
I support this

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Better forests would be nice. Russian trees were not constructed of several layers of this horizontal discs... i don't care what kind of historic evidence you have to prove otherwise /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 11:03 AM
nah they are, thats why the germans lost, they ran into forest and came out other side as salamy /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 12:30 PM
what are you doing at that height?

there's nothing of interest at that low altitude, climb instead of hovering 2 inches over the ground!

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Just kidding, actually it's not a bad idea, but plz, make option so we can enable/disable at will.

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 12:49 PM
YES! I'm not flying in a lillypad pond! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

-Bill

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 01:55 PM
It would be really nice!! The ground looks really empty
without trees. The problem is framerate so trees
should be very simple.

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 03:16 PM
Eventhough the textures on trees are not large and are repeated on each tree, it's the number of added trees (which are objects in the end) that will create more load onto the CPU. Keep in mind that each object, including trees can be destroyed therefore their "destruction status", so to speak, is always checked by the CPU... hence, more calculations and more CPU load.

I think what would be a better solution is to instead of placing current 3D tree objects, to make a single 2D texture which will have texture of forest looking from the side. This texture should be applied along the forests area and should be indestructable. This would be neglible on the CPU load would get the desired effect.

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Yes 1RAAF_edin, that's a good idea and I was thinking in the same direction. Plus, making the trees a 2D texture means they will be seen from the side but not from above, so we can still maintain the rather nice look IMHO of forests from up high.

No.1RAAF_edin wrote:
- Eventhough the textures on trees are not large and
- are repeated on each tree, it's the number of added
- trees (which are objects in the end) that will
- create more load onto the CPU. Keep in mind that
- each object, including trees can be destroyed
- therefore their "destruction status", so to speak,
- is always checked by the CPU... hence, more
- calculations and more CPU load.
-
- I think what would be a better solution is to
- instead of placing current 3D tree objects, to make