PDA

View Full Version : Radar

KiwiVenge
04-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Just got the radar upgrade. How do I use it?

KiwiVenge
04-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Just got the radar upgrade. How do I use it?

quillan
04-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Ok, here's the screenshot I took of the radar panel in the radio office. The captions I put on it are the tooltips that appear when you hold your pointer over one of the knobs.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/44/44709/pages/617979/Radarscreen.jpg

Ok, radar on/off is exactly that. It turns the radar on and off. Switch range changes from close range to long range. Sweep/focus and the Target range dial I don't know about, since I haven't been able to get it to work yet.

Now, as best as I can tell, you cannot run the radar yourself fully, like you can the hydrophones. I've heard people say the numbers in the display are bearings. They aren't. Those are ranges. The numbers on the left are the close range increments, those on the right are the long range increment, both in hundreds of meters. So, at short range, the minimum is 300 meters and the max is 4500. If you switch to long range you can pick up targets up to 15000 meters, but the minimum range jumps to 1000 meters. The only way I've been able to get anything manually is to man the station, and then tell the radar man to do a sweep. If he detects something, the display in the ocilloscope will show a spike to either side. Where it spikes shows the range to the contact. It doesn't stay up very long. If you were fully manning the station, you'd be able to turn the wheel, and adjust until the spike was at the largest point, then read the bearing from the numbers on the wheel, but that's not working.

As a practical matter, I just let the radioman handle it. The game says the FuMO 29 gives coverage of 10 degrees to each side of the bow. The tech pages at uboat.net said it gave 60 degrees total coverage. I don't know if the game models a larger coverage than it says, but it does pick up contacts beyond visual range, providing you switch it to long range. When the radio man picks up a contact, the contacts show up, fully identified, on the nav map. They won't stay very long, just a few seconds, but you can find their position, course, speed category (slow, medium, etc) and heading if you are quick with the tools.

KiwiVenge
04-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the in depth reply!
That was very good of you to put in hew effort.
By the sounds of it it is best just to leave it to the crew to do it.
Is it detectable?
Do I have to turn it on if I leave it to the crew to do the work?

quillan
04-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Yes, it's detectable, but I'm not 100% sure how it works. With a real radar system, it sends out pulses. You can have the radar on, but on idle, sending out no energy that could be detected. I'm not sure how the game models this. You see, IT WON'T STAY OFF! I can turn it off, or order the radioman to turn it off, and it goes off. But, the moment I leave the station, it's back on again. I suspect that's a minor flaw in the game, and it's only really radiating when you've commanded the radio man to make a sweep or continuous sweeps. Again, this is something that really deserves some indepth explanation from the developers.

Aragorn87
04-09-2005, 10:55 PM
I often hear using radar in the later part of the war will get you killed by a DD quickly as they will detect it, so when do i know when to use it and when to not? A radar detector would be better i guess? although im not sure if anything other than military vessels had it at the time..so

KiwiVenge
04-09-2005, 11:13 PM
A less than ideal (politest way I could put it lol) manual creates issues like this. Gives you that 'who knows will use it and see' kind of attitude. Which is annoying in a game where tactics and knowing what you are doing can be the difference of failure or success.
And again, thanks for the info guys.

Bubblehead1948
04-10-2005, 12:49 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif As documented in "Iron Coffins" some U-Boats were equipped with a radar detector as early as 43. The first ones were a bastardized affair that was brought up to the conning tower and rigged up. It was capable of notifying the deck crew if the sub was being painted. Little else.

quillan
04-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Update: Thanks to a post by Maj_Death in another thread, I've sorta figured out the rest of it. As long as the switch is in SWEEP mode, the big knob rotates all the way around constantly. Even though the FuMO29 has highly limited coverage, the default behavior is making a 360 degree sweep. If you switch that to FOCUS mode, you can click on the wheel, at about the 4 and 8 o'clock positions, to rotate it manually. When you get a hit, there will be a spike in the display, the range will read out on the little numbers left of the display, and you can read the bearing by looking at the top of the wheel. Unfortunately, the range only seems to stay up there as long as the contact does. I wish there was an easier way to control it. Here's another screenshot:
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/44/44709/pages/617979/Radar3.jpg

blue_76
04-10-2005, 03:26 PM
well, for now i suppose we can use the "-" button to put the game in pause and get the bearing.

clarencedonath
10-12-2005, 04:47 PM
I was looking for an explanation of the radar switches available and found no mention of them in the Community Manual. I then searched the forum, and found this thread with Guillan's excellent dissertation on the subject! Guillan, please add this information to the Community Manual!

paulhager
10-13-2005, 01:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by quillan:
Update: Thanks to a post by Maj_Death in another thread, I've sorta figured out the rest of it. As long as the switch is in SWEEP mode, the big knob rotates all the way around constantly. Even though the FuMO29 has highly limited coverage, the default behavior is making a 360 degree sweep. If you switch that to FOCUS mode, you can click on the wheel, at about the 4 and 8 o'clock positions, to rotate it manually. When you get a hit, there will be a spike in the display, the range will read out on the little numbers left of the display, and you can read the bearing by looking at the top of the wheel. Unfortunately, the range only seems to stay up there as long as the contact does. I wish there was an easier way to control it. Here's another screenshot:
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/44/44709/pages/617979/Radar3.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This all makes sense. However, I haven't been able to get it to work. Tried it with known targets and bearings and nothing happened. I was looking for an oscilloscope spike and a range to show up but it never did. If I could get that I'd be happy -- then I could use it exactly the way I use the sonar.

Incidentally, is the sonar broken on the VII-C? I've used it successfully for sound only attacks with Type IX's and Type XXI's. The Type VIIC seems to give erroneous distance data. When I compare it with my visual, it's often off substantially. With the other boats I sometimes used the sonar as a check on the visual ranges. Using the sonar makes the scope almost a crutch.