PDA

View Full Version : Altair's Attitude (semi-spoiler)

Bipolar Matt
08-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Out of respect for those who haven't or don't want to see the Gamescon video, I won't post anything specific. However, it's seems like they're tossing consistency right out the window with Altair's storyline.

First...he uses an assassination technique supposedly not invented until some time later. However, I am willing to overlook this.

Since this segment takes place before the events of AC1, it seems that Altair's attitude takes a major turn south after this. Though younger, he is clearly more mature, wiser and in tune with the assassin's creed at this point in his life. Something (probably these events) must really go to his head in order to get the arrogant, pompous rogue assassin we know at the start of AC1.

This is fine if it is accounted for properly in the story. It's also true that we only saw a portion of this Altair segment; perhaps we'll have our explanation when we play the rest of it in the final game.

RzaRecta357
08-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Anyway hit the search button or just read a few topics cause there are 100 of these.

He merely writes the techniques down in the codex not saying HE JUST LEARNED them.

Also, he's 17 and living with Al Muahlim. He isn't a master assassin or the number 1 ranked yet. So he isn't a cocky bastard yet.

Questions answered.

Calvarok
08-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Actually, he's 19.

And yes, as said above, he was not a jerk until 6 years later.

I love how all these people are posting topics like this. Who actually seriously thinks that Ubisoft wouldn't check with the existing canon before adding ANYTHING storywise into the game?

Who actually thinks that the people whose jobs are to know the story would actually just forget entirely that Altair was a jerk in AC1?

roostersrule2
08-26-2011, 08:29 PM
with the first thing he probabaly learned that move but just didnt write it down or stopped using it probably not the best thing for ubisoft to do though and after these events altair became al mualims favourite assassin which cause you to become a cocky bastard

Xanatos2007
08-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
Who actually seriously thinks that Ubisoft wouldn't check with the existing canon before adding ANYTHING storywise into the game?

Who actually thinks that the people whose jobs are to know the story would actually just forget entirely that Altair was a jerk in AC1?
*raises hand*

SupremeCaptain
08-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
Anyway hit the search button or just read a few topics cause there are 100 of these.

He merely writes the techniques down in the codex not saying HE JUST LEARNED them.

Then why, in the Codex, does he mention them as NEW?

Calvarok
08-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
Who actually seriously thinks that Ubisoft wouldn't check with the existing canon before adding ANYTHING storywise into the game?

*raises hand* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Please be joking.

Xanatos2007
08-26-2011, 10:56 PM
It's quite obvious they're just making this <STRIKE>shi-</STRIKE> stuff up as they go along. Ever since Patrice Desilets left and Corey May is no longer the lead scriptwriter you can notice the huge difference between AC1 and most of AC2 onwards.

Calvarok
08-26-2011, 11:11 PM
It's quite obvious they're just making this <STRIKE>shi-</STRIKE> stuff up as they go along. Ever since Patrice Desilets left and Corey May is no longer the lead scriptwriter you can notice the huge difference between AC1 and most of AC2 onwards.
Lol, Patrice was still here during the development of Brotherhood. So he obviously has nothing to do with the script changing.

But the lead writer has changed and will change every game. Corey May wrote only AC2, if I'm not mistaken, and they got a different guy to write ACB, and now they have Darby writing Revelations.

Regardless, since Altair is referenced as being a good assassin before getting a swelled head in AC1, and since Alexandre has said that Altair is actually 17 in the gamescom gameplay, we can both agree on the fact that they didn't make the part in dispute in this topic ups as they went along, right?

Darby said in a recent interview that they have the Assassin's Creed story 80% finished, so to some extent they are making it up as they go along. But I don't feel like it's the actual main plot that they make up, it's the small things like "we want Ezio to go on a soul-searching mission near Altair's turf, and learn how he, Desmond, and Altair are connected. Let's fill in the details of that!", and then Revelations' story is born.

Of course, I don't have any proof of that being the case, although it's certainly sounded like they've had "Ezio goes to Constantinople and does stuff, then learns X story point involving Altair/Desmond" mapped out for a long time, from all the story interviews I've read from Darby.

If you want to be a negative nancy, go ahead.

Assassin's Creed's overarching story hasn't dissapointed me yet. Brotherhood's Ezio story wasn't as good as the ones before it, but it was written by a different author than the Revelations one, and I still enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Call of Duty 24: Modern F*** Sh** Up 5's story.

(I may be exaggerating how many CoDs there are slightly. : P)

kriegerdesgottes
08-26-2011, 11:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

*raises hand* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, that made me laugh.

Panfaun
08-27-2011, 01:41 AM
Actually, he's 19.

I love how all these people are posting topics like this. Who actually seriously thinks that Ubisoft wouldn't check with the existing canon before adding ANYTHING storywise into the game?

Lol, so the guy who helped make the damn game can't get Altair's age right? He said he was seventeen, oh well. It's how he becomes a jerk, then a ******, then a lonely ****** that then gets redeemed is what I can't wait to see.

Calvarok
08-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Panfaun:
Actually, he's 19.

Lol, so the guy who helped make the damn game can't get Altair's age right? He said he was seventeen, oh well. It's how he becomes a jerk, then a ******, then a lonely ****** that then gets redeemed is what I can't wait to see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You know what, I don't even remember where I assumed he was 19 from. I'm sorry, I didn't pick up on Alexandre saying he was 17 till I re-watched the livestream. I'm pretty sure Alexandre is correct, and it makes more sense that this is 9 years before AC1, not just 6. that would explain why Al Mualim looks so much younger. I think that Alexandre is right, he generally never slips up. I don't know why I thought it was 19.

eagleforlife1
08-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by SupremeCaptain:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RzaRecta357:

Then why, in the Codex, does he mention them as NEW? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were new to the Assassins that he was describing them to but not to him.

LightRey
08-27-2011, 05:18 AM
The thing I find most annoying about this thread is that it assumes that Alta´r needs to have known how to do stuff in order to do them in his memory. Just to be clear, if Desmond would've liked to walk in a particular, really weird way that Alta´r never used or knew how to do, he could do that. As long as it doesn't contradict the actions Alta´r did or would've done too much it wouldn't desynchronize Desmond. This is basically just the same kind of action. It's just something both Desmond and Ezio knew how to do and it directly involves killing the target, so it wouldn't cause a desynchronization of any kind.

Panfaun
08-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
The thing I find most annoying about this thread is that it assumes that Alta´r needs to have known how to do stuff in order to do them in his memory. Just to be clear, if Desmond would've liked to walk in a particular, really weird way that Alta´r never used or knew how to do, he could do that. As long as it doesn't contradict the actions Alta´r did or would've done too much it wouldn't desynchronize Desmond. This is basically just the same kind of action. It's just something both Desmond and Ezio knew how to do and it directly involves killing the target, so it wouldn't cause a desynchronization of any kind.

While this is true, it's also known that Desmond could do none of the stuff Altair did in the first game. All of it was done through the guy who knew what and how to do it. He didn't know how to parkour, fight with a sword, or any other stuff because he was confined to what they know. So far, this has never been broken in any games.

Instead of getting someone to teach those new parkour moves, they'd just show a window on the bottom right or get that annoying as hell teacher to do proclaim how terrible his students are. But he's for combat only.

comes down to if he knew them at all, there's no reason for the game to not have told us.

So for right now, I'm just waiting for a solid reason for why these weren't present in the original game. Until then, I'm knocking the reasoning behind this down to easier gameplay.

swiftkinfe
08-27-2011, 08:22 AM
They didn't think of them until AC2.

Yes because Ubisoft would limit the Altair gameplay so much just for people to get a nostalgia wang.Whats to say about bloodlines then?It's not like pulling a guy over a ledge is new.Would you wait until your opponent left for the other side of the building and risk getting wounded or pull him over the edge.

SixKeys
08-27-2011, 09:37 AM
I can't wait for the b****fest here when people find out Alta´r can swim in Revelations. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif "But he didn't know how to do that in AC1!"

In the instruction manual for AC2, there's a note from Rebecca or Lucy where they say the Animus 2.0 has fixed the "glitch" that made it seem like Alta´r couldn't swim. Who's to say that couldn't be the case with his fast climbing or air assassination skills? He always knew how to do them, but the Animus 1.0 had limited capacities to properly simulate them. With the upgraded Animus, we will see Alta´r's skills as they truly were.

PKSteeve
08-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by SixKeys:
I can't wait for the b****fest here when people find out Alta´r can swim in Revelations. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif "But he didn't know how to do that in AC1!"

In the instruction manual for AC2, there's a note from Rebecca or Lucy where they say the Animus 2.0 has fixed the "glitch" that made it seem like Alta´r couldn't swim. Who's to say that couldn't be the case with his fast climbing or air assassination skills? He always knew how to do them, but the Animus 1.0 had limited capacities to properly simulate them. With the upgraded Animus, we will see Alta´r's skills as they truly were.

I like this ^ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Calvarok
08-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Panfaun:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

While this is true, it's also known that Desmond could do none of the stuff Altair did in the first game. All of it was done through the guy who knew what and how to do it. He didn't know how to parkour, fight with a sword, or any other stuff because he was confined to what they know. So far, this has never been broken in any games.

Instead of getting someone to teach those new parkour moves, they'd just show a window on the bottom right or get that annoying as hell teacher to do proclaim how terrible his students are. But he's for combat only.

comes down to if he knew them at all, there's no reason for the game to not have told us.

So for right now, I'm just waiting for a solid reason for why these weren't present in the original game. Until then, I'm knocking the reasoning behind this down to easier gameplay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The only reason that you're going to get is "No animus 2.0 in the first game".

You can accept it, or deny it, but whatever the case is, Altair was able to do a ledge grab at 17. That is offical canon now.

LightRey
08-28-2011, 12:45 AM
The only reason that you're going to get is "No animus 2.0 in the first game".

You can accept it, or deny it, but whatever the case is, Altair was able to do a ledge grab at 17. That is offical canon now.
Why would ledge grabbing be an issue? Alta´r could already use it at the beginning of AC1 and could use it again as soon as he got the gloves back.

Calvarok
08-28-2011, 12:58 AM
*Ledge grab assassination.

Also, re-reading the post I quoted, it appears as if the person is expecting the developers to warp space and time with a reason that is only possible if the first game was changed.

Guys, they just wanted Altair to be able to do it. It doesn't matter what rationalization they used, if it makes any degree of sense within the AC universe (which the animus 2.0 explanation does) it's ALL you're going to get. Gameplay should ALWAYS come first. At some point it doesn't matter how good their reason for the retcon is. If this were a book series, then it would be stupid, but it's not. It's a game, and it HAS to change. Sorry, but it's true.

RzaRecta357
08-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Anyway, the way he writes it in the codex he says he's merely describing it. It doesn't say he just learned it and penned it up quick.

That, and gameplay reasons.

Either way, get over it.

Calvarok
08-28-2011, 01:18 AM
OR, just don't use the ledge assassinate/fast climb/air assassination/hiding spot takedown.

You don't even have to acknowledge it.

RzaRecta357
08-28-2011, 01:22 AM
OR, just don't use the ledge assassinate/fast climb/air assassination/hiding spot takedown.

You don't even have to acknowledge it.

Exactly.

And what's the big deal anyway guys? You're pulling a guy off a ledge. It being in the codex was nothing more than a cheesy way to give players a new skill to keep them interested which was their plan throughout that game.