PDA

View Full Version : Is it Starforce 3 then?

timat13flers
03-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Starforce3 F***S up motion cappture on my PC. If this game uses it then it's a no-go. What a shame after waiting so long for this. I have a 6800GT, so it probably wouldn't have worked properly anyway, what with the driver issues. The developers should make it CLEAR what protection this game uses, as a lot of people have problems with Starforce. Trying to find out what protection this game uses is like looking for the holy grail! It's only a game for Christ's sake!

timat13flers
03-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Starforce3 F***S up motion cappture on my PC. If this game uses it then it's a no-go. What a shame after waiting so long for this. I have a 6800GT, so it probably wouldn't have worked properly anyway, what with the driver issues. The developers should make it CLEAR what protection this game uses, as a lot of people have problems with Starforce. Trying to find out what protection this game uses is like looking for the holy grail! It's only a game for Christ's sake!

kilrathi36
03-12-2005, 07:02 AM
It doesn't look like it. However, if it is then this is horrible choice, many games using starforce 3 have a history of getting very negative response from public in all aspects.

Antrodemus
03-12-2005, 11:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The developers should make it CLEAR what protection this game uses... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beyond stating on the game box, what exactly do you expect them to do? They could come to the forum and say for sure one way or the other, but they haven't, so why don't you wait 'til it's released, then head down to your local retailer and read the box? In other words, stop losing the plot, thus :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Trying to find out what protection this game uses is like looking for the holy grail! It's only a game for Christ's sake! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You answered your own question - it's only a game. Chill.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...many games using starforce 3 have a history of getting very negative response from public in all aspects. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Partly true, however, most "negative responses" aren't responses to the protection, but rather to the interminable, uninformed garbage that gets spread around the 'net on an hourly basis.

If you were to conduct a survey, where every single person who complains about SF were to prove what they say, chances are 50% would have to admit to never having had any problem, but they "read it somewhere", so it must be true. 35% would have to admit to using virtual drive software while running an "affected" game, and the remainder might have a genuine reason. Such is the way of paranoid BS & the internet... sadly, they go blissfully hand-in-hand.

A.

KiwiVenge
03-12-2005, 11:52 AM
I was (and still am) on the anti starforce bandwagon. Thing is, there will be a multitude of ways of beating it. Look around out there, people are loading starforce protected games and managing to block the install of starforce at the outset. It can and will be beat. So for those of us that don't mind loading it onto our pcs, they can go for it, for those that don't, no worries you wont have to.
I am happy to see that game manufacturers have to be careful about what other programs they send us on the game disks. People are keeping an eye on it.

nstutt
03-12-2005, 11:59 AM
My first point is: the fact that the developers have not stated that Starforce is not used would tend to suggest that it is, and that they are remaining quiet so as not to damage their potential sales. That seems obvious to me at least. Considering the amount of discussion and controversy surrounding Starforce and whether it is present in this game Im sure that they would have stated the case if they were not planning to use it.

My second point is: no one seems to know for sure what Starforce is and what it does exactly. Theres so many spy programs around these days that another one should be too much of a worry. I wont give up a great game for just this reason.

My third point is: it wont probably be stated on the box at all in the UK at least. The requirement of an internet connection isnt stated very clearly on Halflife 2 and its got them into serious problems with the german courts. But in the Uk the courts are less efficient. So the fact is many of us just wont know until the first few people actually install and play the game. It probably wont be on the box though.

My fourth point is: if Starforce prevents my computer from working correctly I will bring the game back for a refund. That will be Ubisofts and the developer loss which may happen to quite an extent if Starforce is as bad as some people say it is. But it will also be my loss as I wont be able to play a game I am looking forward to. That will make me personally rather upset with Ubisoft and I may even feel like boycotting future Ubisoft titles altogether. Much as I have already decided to do with EA titles for other reasons obvious to anyone who takes an interest in the games press.

My fifth and final point is: I really hope this is all blowing things out of proportion and I install the game and it works fine, doesnt crash my computer or slow it down and I enjoy a great game.

It would be the first time Ive been looking forward to a game only to find I was badly disappointed for some reason though - I hope it doesnt happen hear. We'll all know it six days wont we!

Nats

timat13flers
03-12-2005, 12:46 PM
I can tell you exactly what Starforce 3 does to my system. My Video Capture equipment doesn't work properly, with several frames being lost every few seconds. I have to re-install Windows. Video Capture is an integral part of what I use my PC for. Yes, I could go and buy a couple of quality Hard Drive Caddies and another hard drive, and have a games Caddy and Capture Caddy, but why should I? No, for me SH3+Starforce=No purchase. I can hear many of you saying 'why should we give a S**T?', and of course you're right. I hope the game is great and that you all enjoy it. I'm just pointing out that for me, Starforce is not an inconvenience, it's a system F***ER.

Mashiki_a
03-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Yes?
ftp://ftp.ubi.com/de/support/SH3/Forum/Install_preview/image007.jpg

Antrodemus
03-12-2005, 12:56 PM
timat13flers,

Then you have a genuine cause for complaint...

Have you contacted Starforce themselves about this?

A.

BlitzPig_Rivet
03-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Haven't we finished with this one yet? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Ok, I downloaded GTR Demo2 specifically because it has Starforce protection.

I installed it. I am now playing the demo quite happily without the two Starforce drivers installed.

The drivers show up in Device Manager under Non-Plug and Play Drivers, but you won't find them on my machine. It can be done.

http://www.poprivet.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Forums/S-Force.jpg

All happy now?

Antrodemus
03-12-2005, 02:34 PM
"Happy" about what? That you managed to somehow disable starforce drivers, yet continue to use the software it was intended to protect? You do realise you're more or less bragging about cracking the game? Is this something we should applaud? Forgive me, but I'm finding it hard to not be cynical about this.

A.

KiwiVenge
03-12-2005, 02:36 PM
That, or he is reassuring people that if starforce does give them problems it will be solve able.
Take your pick
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Antrodemus
03-12-2005, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...it will be solve able. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By cracking the game?

A.

KiwiVenge
03-12-2005, 02:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antrodemus:
timat13flers,

Then you have a genuine cause for complaint...

Have you contacted Starforce themselves about this?

A. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I e-mailed them myself a week or so ago trying to get some info. I have yet to get a response.
Besides, all this is moot if we find out SH3 does not even use starforce.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

KiwiVenge
03-12-2005, 02:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antrodemus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...it will be solve able. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By cracking the game?

A. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, if I bought a game (which I have) and some program piggy backed onto and screwed up my computer (has not happened to me) and prevented me playing the game (has yet to happen to me) I legally purchased (which I did) then yes, I would do whatever I could to fix/adjust/crack the game so I could play it.

walsh2509
03-12-2005, 02:54 PM
I am no techie on the PC, but whatever it is this Starforce software looks to cause some problems with your PC.

I don't care that it might only mess up 2 or 3 files or operations, I am not taking any chances with my PC.

I will wait and see what if any problems this software might cause!

BlitzPig_Rivet
03-12-2005, 03:11 PM
There are quite a few people in this forum who do have real concerns about Starforce and are willing to cancel their orders or simply not buy the game if this is the chosen protection. It doesn't bother me to that extent.

1) I am not bragging about anything.
2) I have not made public the information on how to bypass Starforce.
3) I have in no way tampered with the demo file or files there-in that I downloaded from the official site. The file is intact, I have just not installed Starforce. That being the case, I haven't "cracked" anything.
4) I have simply shown that with a little research people have the choice on whether to let the drivers install or not.
5) No, I'm not looking for applause. In fact it's something I wouldn't normally choose to do.

KiwiVenge is right that I am only trying to re-assure people that it's not a problem.

Lastly, it's no use anyone asking me how I did it. The answer won't be a sensible one, and information of that nature is probably against forum rules anyway, not least if that forum is run by the publishers of the game in question.

Darnitz
03-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Starforce is easy to bypass, just do a little diggin' on Google.

Antrodemus
03-12-2005, 03:14 PM
If ever proof was needed that all this rumour-starting & scaremongering can potentially harm sales, walsh2509 just proved it. He's now thinking twice about buying SHIII, based on what he's read here from the naysayers.

Nice one.

A.

KiwiVenge
03-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Chill pill necessary.
Starforce causing problems is not a 'rumor' nor is it scare mongering as you call it.
It happens to a small minority of people. Thats a fact.
So blaming those who have had problems with it for the negative response of other's who are concerned about it happening to them is silly.
Which is excatly why BlitzPig_Rivet posted what he did, that there is nothing to worry about.
But then, you did not like him saying that either.

Antrodemus
03-12-2005, 03:32 PM
No chill pill required here...

FYI - this "fix" is, quite simply, a way of circumventing the copy-protection. If you don't see that as a potential problem, then I give up.

Who am I "blaming" for the negative responses of others? Only one person in this thread has actually had a problem with Starforce, outwith the usual, "Oooh, I don't like the sound of this, therefore I'm not buying the game".

I see this **** all over gaming forums right now - one or two people start the rumour-mill about SF, and before you know it, half the bloody forum populace is threatening to boycott sales of the game. How on Earth can that be seen as positive action? If you genuinely have a technical issue with Starforce, by all means vent it in the proper direction. If you simply don't like the idea of it, please consider that your words may have a detrimental effect on the livelihoods of the very people who are trying to bring your long-awaited simulation to the shop shelves.

A.

hauitsme
03-12-2005, 03:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Antrodemus:
If you don't see that as a potential problem, then I give up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What problem? I applaud him for doing it. I wish I had the knowhow myself. Over the years I've HAD to repurchase numerous games that went bad, only because I was unable to back them up. If a game goes bad, why should anyone have to buy it again?

KiwiVenge
03-12-2005, 03:45 PM
"FYI - this "fix" is, quite simply, a way of circumventing the copy-protection. If you don't see that as a potential problem, then I give up."

I agree it is a problem, thats my whole point. We should not have to beat the copy protection, but apparently some will need to. If i need to, I will.
If people see one legit complaint about starforce and decide to be careful, then that is their choice. Are you suggesting everyone says nothing negative (no matter how true) so we do not impact the sales?
Give me a break, that would be the same as telling us that only posts that are positive about SH3 are allowed.
I agree, there are a ton of people out there talking this topic to death. Persoanlly I am tired of serious discussions of starforce myself (although is fun to joke about it, as per wishing the SF curse on people and such).
But hey, not going to be told not to talk about it either.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Dominicrigg
03-12-2005, 03:46 PM
lol look at it like natural selection.

Those people stupid enough to buy into the rumours and not get the game miss out. This game is just not for them anyway.

Those who wait to see themselves buy the game and have lots of fun, end of story really.

Antro i wouldnt bother trying to diffuse the rumours, the people who listen will never believe you unless you make your version more dramatic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ps those of you creating this **** and rumours i think when you get the game and it works perfectly you should come back here and give a public apology, to those you scared, to the makers of the game and to us you annoyed the **** out of. Though i doubt you will have the balls to do so. If starforce screws your computer i will gladly do the same for you.

KiwiVenge
03-12-2005, 03:50 PM
And furthermore

rofl

If these threads were left to just the 'scaremongers' and 'rumor starters' posters then they would slide their way off the bottom of the board way faster and get less exposure.
hehehehe

Edit Re: Dom's Edit (no bump this way lol) I am careful to re state over and over again that i do not even know if SF is on SH3, let alone whether it will even do anything bad to _my_ machine.

kilrathi36
03-12-2005, 05:06 PM
There is no proof version uses starforce, all preview versions often use extra protection such as starforce but the retail version might not.

JG27_Arklight
03-12-2005, 05:10 PM
They could include Syphillis, the Clap, AND Starforce and I would still buy it.

cherbert
03-12-2005, 05:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:
They could include Syphillis, the Clap, AND Starforce and I would still buy it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At last a true fan!!

I agree.. They can have my credit card number a DNA sample and I give them full permission to install Starforce 4 Beta 12 on my my PC and I shall still be buying this gem of a game!!

BlitzPig_Rivet
03-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Right! I am not a one man crusade against SF.

It is not even certain that SF will be the product employed. We will only know that in a few days time.

It is not even certain that SF is the root cause of the majority of problems people have experienced. How well people maintain their machines (if they do at all) is their choice entirely.

It is not my fault that through the numerous posts and threads here, people appear to have forgotten what the original issue was about, and it wasn't copy protection as such.

I just contributed to an earlier discussion (when it was a discussion) and posted some links to further information which was appreciated by some.

I am certainly not trying to hurt SH3 sales, quite the opposite. In fact there may be those who will be quite happy when I say that as soon as SH3drops into my mail box, I'll be far too occupied to post much here.

If all this sounds as though I'm trying to defend myself against comments that may or may not be directed at me, nothing could be further from the truth. Frankly, I don't give a d@mnhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I wish the dev team and UBI all the success in the world with SH3.

People will always make decisions based on information good or bad (and there is a lot of both) but primarily they will, for the most part, side with the group who tell them what they want to hear. That's human nature.

Stick that in your tubes and fire it.http://www.poprivet.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Forums/munching_out.gif

timat13flers
03-13-2005, 03:30 AM
I know very few people have problems with Starforce. Indeed, until I started video capture I had not experienced any problems either. I am not trying to scare anyone into not buying the game. Starforce does work without any problems on 98% of machines. It just so happens that certain tasks and hardware configurations can cause problems for a select few, namely me. Someone had scanned this game and detected Starforce. Whether Starforce will be used on all regions or not I don't know, and it remains to be seen whether the US version is Starforce also.

It's ironic that the sales at GAME (UK) for recent Codemasters games (Using Starforce) have ALL been significantly lower than expected. I suspect that a game a schoolboy can copy for his mate is an enticing prospect, where as an uncopyable game will not get that sale. 1 sale is better than none isn't it? Of course Piracy is wrong, but it is a fact of the media world. The makers of Doom3, Sims2 and other high profile titles know this, and that's why they don't uses Starforce! Why do you think that Nintendo Gamecube has been a poor seller compared to the XBOX? They both have fantastic games, but you can chip an XBOX and play copied games. The same reason that the Nintendo DS will kill the superior PSP. Because soon there will be a Flashpack for the DS enabling you to download all the games.

I don't condone Piracy. I would say that 90% of the games I own are originals, which I suspect is a lot higher than most people. People do tend to be leniant with the truth though. There are Forums full of Bullsh***rs, ranting on about how wrong piracy is, when all the time their machine doesn't have a single piece of original software installed on it!