PDA

View Full Version : Desomnds History? revealed in revelations

M8sT3r AsSASs1n
06-13-2011, 08:22 AM
So I just want to through out there that I had hoped and asked what people thought if ACB would elaborate on desmonds history on "The Farm" and most people seemd to think it a dumb idea. So i just kind of wanted to say booyaah because thats seems to be exactly what they are going to do in Revelations. Thoughts, theories, smack talk what does everyone think??!!!

GeneralTrumbo
06-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by nkchit08:
So I just want to through out there that I had hoped and asked what people thought if ACB would elaborate on desmonds history on "The Farm" and most people seemd to think it a dumb idea. So i just kind of wanted to say booyaah because thats seems to be exactly what they are going to do in Revelations. Thoughts, theories, smack talk what does everyone think??!!!

Can't wait! Bring on the Desmond!

samward
06-13-2011, 08:28 AM
I have wanted this from the start. Really excited!!!!

phil.llllll
06-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Desmond has always been in some serious need of character. I hope they they use the time with him to flesh him out in a meaningful way. We'll see.

masterfenix2009
06-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by phil.llllll:
Desmond has always been in some serious need of character. I hope they they use the time with him to flesh him out in a meaningful way. We'll see. What do you mean more character? To me he seems to have alot of personality.

iN3krO
06-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Desmond has always been in some serious need of character. I hope they they use the time with him to flesh him out in a meaningful way. We'll see.

I hope we can find something better than what we had with ezio (a simple revenge)...

cless711
06-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by GeneralTrumbo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nkchit08:

Can't wait! Bring on the Desmond! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed :P

M4ST3R0fPUPPi3S
06-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by assassino151:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phil.llllll:
Desmond has always been in some serious need of character. I hope they they use the time with him to flesh him out in a meaningful way. We'll see. What do you mean more character? To me he seems to have alot of personality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But when playing the game, most people find it difficult to connect with Desmond, he needs more depth and backstory, we as players need to immerse ourselves in Desmonds own life before AC3, otherwise that game will feel plain and average because we cannot feel like we are Desmond.
Ezio on the other hand is the character that a majority of fans can connect with because we've seen him grow up, we know almost everything about him from experience, he has story and depth.

xx-pyro
06-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Very excited for more Desmond, definitely want to know more about his back story.

Eh, a quick question if anyone can answer- In AC1 when Vidic first captures Desmond, Desmond says "I'm not an Assassin, not anymore."

Why does he say "not anymore"? Was he previously an assassin or am I missing something painfully obvious.

phil.llllll
06-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by xx-pyro:
Very excited for more Desmond, definitely want to know more about his back story.

Eh, a quick question if anyone can answer- In AC1 when Vidic first captures Desmond, Desmond says "I'm not an Assassin, not anymore."

Why does he say "not anymore"? Was he previously an assassin or am I missing something painfully obvious.

Because he escaped from the farm and because he thought they were all crazy.

iN3krO
06-13-2011, 04:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xx-pyro:

Because he escaped from the farm and because he thought they were all crazy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also he thought templars didn't exist in now-a-days and thought that he should not prepare for a war that the doesn't believe in...

phil.llllll
06-13-2011, 04:09 PM
What do you mean more character? To me he seems to have alot of personality.

He has some personality for sure (brotherhood fleshed this out some more) but mostly he's a blank slate. For instance in AC1 he mostly asks general questions and never talks much about himself or his personal side. There were some good bits, like, for example, when he freaks out when he realizes they're going to kill him soon or his talk with Lucy about his past but it was always very thin.

I think they purposely did it this way so the player could sort of fill his shoes for him. What the player feels as they're going about Abstergo, uncovering memories of the past and snooping around reading emails, is in a way supposed to reflect what Desmond feels.

Not to mention his Ancestors are supposed to directly reflect him as well (e.g. as Alta´r is growing and making discoveries Desmond is as well).

So in that way, he's a blank slate, given most of his character through his ancestors and having the player fill in the rest.

Now that he's alone in ACR, it's a perfect opportunity to really see him grow as his own character in way that only he owns. I really hope they don't screw it up - I don't have much faith in the writer considering his past two works.

xx-pyro
06-13-2011, 04:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xx-pyro:

Because he escaped from the farm and because he thought they were all crazy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I understand, and it's been a thorn in my side for years so if you could explain I would appreciate it greatly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also, while on this topic Vidic also says that things like the Animus were gifts from "Those Who Came Before," so as Minerva seems to be directly helping Assassins, Juno hating on all of mankind, will Jupiter be the TWOCB that supports Templars?

phil.llllll
06-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by xx-pyro:

I'm not sure I understand, and it's been a thorn in my side for years so if you could explain I would appreciate it greatly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also, while on this topic Vidic also says that things like the Animus were gifts from "Those Who Came Before," so as Minerva seems to be directly helping Assassins, Juno hating on all of mankind, will Jupiter be the TWOCB that supports Templars?

Desmond ran away from the farm, the assassin community where he grew up, for a number of reasons (they never let him leave and he thought they were crazy, etc..). Therefore, after that, I'm sure he didn't consider himself an Assassin anymore.

As for the gifts part, the PoEs obey whoever holds them. The knowledge then, indirectly came from TWCB.

masterfenix2009
06-13-2011, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by assassino151:
What do you mean more character? To me he seems to have alot of personality.

He has some personality for sure (brotherhood fleshed this out some more) but mostly he's a blank slate. For instance in AC1 he mostly asks general questions and never talks much about himself or his personal side. There were some good bits, like, for example, when he freaks out when he realizes they're going to kill him soon or his talk with Lucy about his past but it was always very thin.

I think they purposely did it this way so the player could sort of fill his shoes for him. What the player feels as they're going about Abstergo, uncovering memories of the past and snooping around reading emails, is in a way supposed to reflect what Desmond feels.

Not to mention his Ancestors are supposed to directly reflect him as well (e.g. as Alta´r is growing and making discoveries Desmond is as well).

So in that way, he's a blank slate, given most of his character through his ancestors and having the player fill in the rest.

Now that he's alone in ACR, it's a perfect opportunity to really see him grow as his own character in way that only he owns. I really hope they don't screw it up - I don't have much faith in the writer considering his past two works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> So you mean more back-story? I have faith in the writing in the games they haven't dissapointed me yet.

phil.llllll
06-13-2011, 04:41 PM
So you mean more back-story? I have faith in the writing in the games they haven't dissapointed me yet.

Yes but not just backstory - which I hope they show instead of just a few lines about it. Actual character growth in a meaningful way (I hope they make good use of the revelations tag).

And I've been disappointed in a lot of ways by the writing since AC1 (major plot holes, lame conspiracy stuff, and no real focus on the creed). We'll see though.

masterfenix2009
06-13-2011, 04:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by assassino151:
So you mean more back-story? I have faith in the writing in the games they haven't dissapointed me yet.

Yes but not just backstory - which I hope they show instead of just a few lines about it. Actual character growth in a meaningful way (I hope they make good use of the revelations tag).

And I've been disappointed in a lot of ways by the writing since AC1 (major plot holes, lame conspiracy stuff, and no real focus on the creed). We'll see though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Can you PM me the major plot holes. I've not seen many. I disagree about the conspiracy being lame. Though I am not dissapointed by it, the creed should have more emphasis.

ILLusioNaire
06-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Desmond has character, but he lacks because, as was said, we don't know much about his past, and, for that matter, not much about his inner-self. If we knew what he went though before, more of us could relate to what kind of assassin he is.

He's different from Ezio because he isn't driven by revenge. He's also different from our experience with Altair since he's not near as prideful and led to prove himself. Once we find out where he comes from and what he's been through we'll be able to identify with his feelings a lot more. And, character, as we've seen with Ezio can also be developed. By going through certain things as Desmond and experiencing his adventures we'll certainly enjoy him more and more, as long as they make things interesting-Ubisoft.