PDA

View Full Version : Did they miss an entire combat region?

DRB_Hookech0
11-02-2004, 09:48 AM
is it me or did they completly miss the whole eastern Solomons combat area? I would have thought that the reduction of fortress Rabal would be of keen interest for a pacific air war simulator. Heck there you could have major air battles and sea battles in and around Empress Augusta Bay region. From mid 43 thru early 44, this wasa hot bed of action.

DRB_Hookech0
11-02-2004, 09:48 AM
is it me or did they completly miss the whole eastern Solomons combat area? I would have thought that the reduction of fortress Rabal would be of keen interest for a pacific air war simulator. Heck there you could have major air battles and sea battles in and around Empress Augusta Bay region. From mid 43 thru early 44, this wasa hot bed of action.

Snow_Wolf_
11-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Yea they missing that part the NG map does not even have the Lae airfield which the Japanese operated during the war

LEXX_Luthor
11-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Ya, a little more New Guinea map extension and we would have Rabaul. Can't figure this out, other than they may use it as offering for Addon Pac or something. There is at least one (1) airfield on the islands off the northeast of New Guinea map, so we can pretend that's Rabaul. FB people have highly developed imaginations over the years... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

...its also "closer" to New Guinea for those needing quicker combat...

Stiglr
11-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Given the vast size of the combat areas, they were BOUND to miss something. You could restrict PF to just the Solomons and not cover it adequately with IL-2 style maps.

Target:Rabaul (http://www.targetware.net) has a 1:1 scale map that spans from Lae all the way to Guadalcanal (!!), but big as that map is, it's not fully complete: no Nadzab, no Wewak, no Hollandia... and of course, no Truk Island, no Iwo Jima or Japan, no Hawaii, no Midway, no Dutch East Indies, no Phillipines (which could itself consume an entire Targetware sized map), no CBI. Caveat: yet; Targetware could eventually expand to these areas.

Give 'em a break on the maps until after you break out an atlas and have a look.

DRB_Hookech0
11-02-2004, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Give 'em a break on the maps until after you break out an atlas and have a look. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude I know how to read a map and a scale. I just figured they should have included Bougainville and New Ireland and New Britain along with the Guadalcanal map to complete the set is all. Heck, just the eastern half of Bougainville and the southern ends of New Britian/Ireland would be grand as this was the main operations area of the time. Dont get all huffy, I was just questioning their campaign selections is all.

Some are pretty poor for game playing is all. Historiclly they are signifigant but really...how many times do you want to have to try to defend Wake with Buffaloes and early Wildcats? once?

Dont get me wrong....I am loving this game. I'm just missing this one combat area is all

Mr_Nakajima
11-02-2004, 01:06 PM
From the headlines page I believe that patch (which will of course be ready in two weeks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) includes new maps. Maps plural that is. So don't despair yet, hopefully we will get Rabaul.