PDA

View Full Version : new video of Shockwave's Battle of Britain 2

Owlsphone
03-29-2005, 08:29 PM
http://www.gamershell.com/news/21144.html

Get it there.

Can't say I'm too impressed by the graphics, but gameplay is what really matters right?
The smoke and explosions do look fantastic though.

Owlsphone
03-29-2005, 08:29 PM
http://www.gamershell.com/news/21144.html

Get it there.

Can't say I'm too impressed by the graphics, but gameplay is what really matters right?
The smoke and explosions do look fantastic though.

diomedes33
03-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Looked like it was a couple years old to me. I also got a very arcade feel from it. Planes didn't move right.

Il-2 series has really spoiled me.

pourshot
03-29-2005, 10:04 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

altstiff
03-29-2005, 10:56 PM
i was a fan of the original and even Mig Ally. The orignial BOB had a great tactical side to it where you didn't even have to fly.

I'm a bit of a skeptic with this as shockwave has done alot of stuff for Msfs if I'm not mistaken, most of it rubbish.....

Troll2k
03-29-2005, 11:56 PM
I read in one of the forums that all they did was upgrade the graphics.They are still using the 3 year old engine.Reminds me of Secret Weapons over Normandy.

anarchy52
03-30-2005, 02:11 AM
Beats the cr@p out of PF in explosions/vapor/smoke graphics, but I have a feeling that's about it.

Well, we can hope, but let's be realistic...this game probably isn't Il-2 killer

LeadSpitter_
03-30-2005, 02:14 AM
looks fun, hopefully the 4.0 patch will blow it away.

Also they said it might not even have multiplayer which is a big no buy. With those graphics it should have massive multiplayer like wwiiol or at least airwarrior.

I think cfs3 looks so much better the only thing that looks nice is the impact explosion, il2 fb pf should add those in. along with new bomb explosion effects and ac secondary explosions

Covino
03-30-2005, 06:50 AM
Shockwave also bought the B-17: The Mighty Eight Source Code from Atari and are going to release an updated version.

Why don't they start being original and making their own games instead of buying out classics (that are only a couple years old anyway) and reselling them?

VW-IceFire
03-30-2005, 06:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Covino:
Shockwave also bought the B-17: The Mighty Eight Source Code from Atari and are going to release an updated version.

Why don't they start being original and making their own games instead of buying out classics (that are only a couple years old anyway) and reselling them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Its cheaper. And sims are expensive.

ploughman
03-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Jeezus.That site almost gave a brain fever. Was it flashing and strobing for anyone else, I just managed to navigate to the download button and activated it before my frontal lobes went into melt down.

I'm off to lay me down in a darkened room. http://area3d.net/images/smilies/53.gif

See you in 26.4 mega bytes

stubby
03-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Il2 is a stud no doubt about that. BOBII offers a different vibe. For one, everything about it terms of air fields, officer names, fighter command, etc.. is historically correct. You get two flavors - flying as a pilot or strategic planning. Graphically, it probably wont' approach the splendor of Il2 but the game is being recoded in a directX 9c environment. Bottom line - it's a different type of sim. For me and all the books I've read of late regarding the real Battle of Britain, I'm looking forward to it. I'm a hard core fanboi of Il2 but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate other sims. It definetly won't many folks cup of tea especially since there's little to no online content. Those folks craving a rich and detailed offline experience will be rewarded. For one, BoBII will be coded such that AI can't see you through clouds or mist. Il2 of course has the all seeing AI. There's pros and cons to everything. SO, I'll get it and I'll either like or I won't. Most likely, I'll like it based on what I've read and the impressions of folks that have been involved in the testing.

TacticalYak3
03-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Looking forward to this game also. However, will definitely wait until I see some favourable gamer reviews.

Liked the exposions, clouds and ground texturing.

The immersion was good. The comms was just another remainder how sterile IL-2's stock ones are. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Difficult to determine actual in-game play, but it appeared that no AA was used by the gaming PC. And there were some low fps. Thinking this game may be difficult to play with good framerates, especially given the grand scope they are trying to obtain.

That AI bomber squadron almost seemed to be flying as if modelled as one aircraft (common in RTS gaming). I hope not.

Looking forward to its release.

TactS!

crazyivan1970
03-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Are you guys for real? LOL There is nothing to compare. Not even close in any aspect. I`ll give you explosions... but even that they "look" better they still not even close to COD/UO for example. Those are explosions... this - not sure what it is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

This game reminds me of FA3.0 for some reason. Which is like 2001.

nealn
03-30-2005, 12:33 PM
I would agree with Stubby. (Very well said by the way) Obviously we all love the IL2 FB series or we would not be here, but all sims have their strong and weak points. The fact that another company is making (or remaking ha ha) a WW2 flight sim can only be good for the whole community. Like Stubby I am a big BOB fan and will probably buy it as the immersion and tactical aspect offers something a bit different, and it would be nice to see huge formations of planes without huge hits on my fps. At hte very least it may keep me ocuppied untill Oleg releases his version of BOB in 2000??????

Neal

Badsight.
03-30-2005, 09:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Are you guys for real? LOL There is nothing to compare. Not even close in any aspect. I`ll give you explosions... but even that they "look" better they still not even close to COD/UO for example. Those are explosions... this - not sure what it is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

This game reminds me of FA3.0 for some reason. Which is like 2001. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>this new version of Rowans boB is totally single player , no multiplayer at all

but thats besides the point , the thing the old version of Rowans BoB has Totally over IL2 or FB/PF is . . . . . immersion

its a engaging game , the missions & campaigns totally own FB/PF , this is the biggest thing lacking in FB (that & AI)

BaldieJr
03-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Looks kinda dated to me.

marcocomparato
03-30-2005, 10:40 PM
i am so ****ed confused about this.

Shockwave is who? is this Rowan's BoB2? is that another game?? what is the game called BoB2 at GMXmedia website?? wtf

and what the hell is with the 1C title choice of BoB when there are others named the same? are they really going to name it the same?

ytareh
03-31-2005, 04:57 AM
(typing nervously as got 3 day ban the last time I discussed this and other 'rival products'...)I just watched that video and must say Im not impressed at whats meant to be a 2005 release.I actually got the original game just yesterday and Im not 'getting into it' in a big way.People complain about PF sound but guns in this sound like atari lasers or something ,although engines are ok...What else puts me off?Well the throttle has to be mapped to the joystick twist while the rudder has to be mapped to the joystick throttle/slider(makes flying 'interesting'!)In general this does not seem to be a game to just jump into-hard to map keys in general...Is there even a manual on the disk?I dont wanna spend ages watching tutorial videos .....

TacticalYak3
03-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Fair comments. I personally have no attachment to this other upcoming game, nor have I played the original.

What does interest me, especially as one who also enjoys strategy gaming, is the strategic element and a potentially stronger offline experience.

I really don't feel this is a rival, or at least it has not been designed to steal gamers off the Internet realm.

As for immersion, that's where I believe so many IL-2 fans feel let down by the current IL-2 series.

There's a hard to describe lack of polish in the IL-2 series. Be it from the rather simplistic interface, poor/limited voice actors, non-photographic awards, to more important elements like wind noise, and other environmental effects (shouldn't we see flocks of birds up in the sky - ok frame rate killer I guess). Where's the music and other sound effects?

Both the availability of campaigns and online missions, as well as the quality/functionality of missions is lacking.

Of course the community has certainly addressed most of these issues very well. Indeed I thoroughly enjoy the IL-2 experience, and Maddox Games deserves a lot of praise. Notwithstanding, the "polish" that is seen in other games is missing in IL-2, isn't it mates?

Besides, I think CrazyIvan’s Friday COOP Nights are too much fun to worry about so called rivals in any event. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TactS!

archermav
03-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Ytareh,

My friend, if you have just bought the original Rowans Bob then you need to get yourself over to www.bob-ma.org (http://www.bob-ma.org).
There you will find the latest patch and help with the control set up.

Any questions?. No , good, see you on the Bob web site.

TheGozr
03-31-2005, 02:38 PM
I don't know about you but the video is not good.
The scenes are always to far to hide the lack of good graphics a la CSF3.