PDA

View Full Version : Thank goodness for IL-2 and PF

KarayaEine
12-13-2004, 07:02 AM
I recently had the chance to try a dedicated gaming system (X-Box) and tried a variety of games (Medal of Honor, Incredibles, Defender, misc sporting games, etc.) and I must say I was greatly disappointed. It was impossible to get any fine measure of control to shoot and the controllers are very clumsy to use. It was quite easy to get frustrated and lose interest quickly. (especially in MOH). The scenarios are too scripted. In IL-2 I can fly the same mission several times and each time it can be a totally different experience and outcome. that's not how it is with these PS2 and XBox games. Same result every time....boring <yawn> No wonder why they have to keep coming out with new games all the time.

I know the kids seem to like them ( I know mine do) but you can keep them, thank you very much. I don't know of any other game/sim that has kept my interest for more than 2 years straight. That in of itself says a lot of IL-2.

I'll take IL-2 and PF any day of the week.

Johann

KarayaEine
12-13-2004, 07:02 AM
I recently had the chance to try a dedicated gaming system (X-Box) and tried a variety of games (Medal of Honor, Incredibles, Defender, misc sporting games, etc.) and I must say I was greatly disappointed. It was impossible to get any fine measure of control to shoot and the controllers are very clumsy to use. It was quite easy to get frustrated and lose interest quickly. (especially in MOH). The scenarios are too scripted. In IL-2 I can fly the same mission several times and each time it can be a totally different experience and outcome. that's not how it is with these PS2 and XBox games. Same result every time....boring &lt;yawn&gt; No wonder why they have to keep coming out with new games all the time.

I know the kids seem to like them ( I know mine do) but you can keep them, thank you very much. I don't know of any other game/sim that has kept my interest for more than 2 years straight. That in of itself says a lot of IL-2.

I'll take IL-2 and PF any day of the week.

Johann

GvSAP_Wingnut
12-13-2004, 09:19 AM
While I would tend to agree, I don't think the intent of a PS2 or Xbox is to compete against a PC... especially with games like IL2. Not really a fair comparison... maybe it would be if the rig that is required to decently run IL2 cost just as much, but right now the cost vs. a console is about 10 times higher. Consoles do have their strongpoints:

1) Portability: My kids regularly haul their Xbox between my house and their Mom's. For that matter, the PS/2 and Gamecube also.

2) Cost: my 12-year-old spent a day mowing yards and was able to buy a refurbed Gamecube. Xbox and PS/2 now going for $150 US.

3) Fun: He had a sleepover last week for his birthday and he and 3 others were up 'til 2:00 on the Xbox.

4) There are a lot titles that I think play better on a console - sports for example. I'd rather hook up an Xbox to my 50" HD Panny to play NFL 2K5 with my son than try to crowd the computer desk.

5) Most important: it keeps them OFF Dad's PC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TacticalYak3
12-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Seems like a "Dad-friendly" thread so I'll throw a few words out.

Yes, I agree not really a reasonable comparison mate. I can relate about using the XBox to keep the kids away from Dad's (oops! I mean the family's) computer.

I play video hockey (and some other sports gaming from time to time) on the XBox. That plus platformers are great on consoles. Portability, low-cost and no headaches about compatibility are welcomed benefits indeed.

Consoles greatly outsell all PC games. Only the Sims have made an impressive sales showing. And while console games supposely cost more because they are developed and more thoroughly tested prior to release ('cause you can't patch them afterwards - well most anyway), the reality is they are usually buggy just like patchable PC games.

Online gaming on the 'Box can be fun, and a growing aspect of the console market.

Regards,
TactS!

han freak solo
12-14-2004, 10:14 AM
I had some fun last year with SSX Tricky and Ace Combat 4, but I didn't like the time limits in Ace Combat 4. I'd rather run out of fuel or ammo than time.

I'm just not interested enough to keep playing those console games. When I was young enough to be the age the game makers marketed to, I did things outdoors. Such as sports, motorcycles (on and off road), and hunting/shooting.

I guess that's just being nearly 40.

FatBoyHK
12-14-2004, 12:27 PM
if you like soccer try Winning Eleven, or if you like car racing try GT4. You won't be disappointed.