PDA

View Full Version : Need help with CEM

blairgowrie
09-30-2004, 04:23 PM
I would like to be able to fly better with CEM but seem to be having some problems figuring it out. I have it turned on under difficulty settings and can get prop pitch to work. I understand the concept of coarse and fine pitch but I am not sure if 10% is fine and 90% is coarse.

I have set up keys for increase mixture and decrease on my keyboard but nothing shows when I press the keys. Similarly, I have set up a key for Next Phase Supercharger but again nothing happens when I press the assigned key.

Hate to be so dense and would appreciate advice. I am tired of being left standing while my team mates disappear over the horizon at warp speed.

blairgowrie
09-30-2004, 04:23 PM
I would like to be able to fly better with CEM but seem to be having some problems figuring it out. I have it turned on under difficulty settings and can get prop pitch to work. I understand the concept of coarse and fine pitch but I am not sure if 10% is fine and 90% is coarse.

I have set up keys for increase mixture and decrease on my keyboard but nothing shows when I press the keys. Similarly, I have set up a key for Next Phase Supercharger but again nothing happens when I press the assigned key.

Hate to be so dense and would appreciate advice. I am tired of being left standing while my team mates disappear over the horizon at warp speed.

VW-IceFire
09-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Not sure what represents what on the prop pitch control. Fine and course I think is something a little different...or so I thought.

On most planes the pitch control actually is the RPM governator control. Only the 109 and a few others does it directly control the pitch.

The reason those assigned keys don't work is becaus some aircraft have automatic mixture and supercharger settings.

The Spitfire LF IX even has a little light that comes on when the supercharger gets activated...but its all done automatically.

Supercharger stages most commonly seen on Russian fighters. Same with the fuel mix control.

x6BL_Brando
09-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi BG

It will depend on which a/c you're flying....most of the mid-to-late model planes have 'automated' sytems for things like mixture and supercharger. I don't fly many axis planes so can't advise on them; I believe they are similar.

E.g. try a Rata...pitch, mix, radiator and supercharger stages are all modelled. Prop pitch starts at 100% and 'coarsens' down to 10% - 0% is full feather I think.

blairgowrie
09-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks Ice and x6BL. I thought that might be the case.

I was flying last Saturday night on a private server in a coop mission with some of my US friends from Seattle. We were in FW 190's against P 51's. The Mustangs pulled away from me but my friend Bun-Bun whizzed past me, caught up with the Mustangs and shot 2 of them down. I thought it was because of better engine management.

bun-bun195333
09-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Jim, I had four advantages over you in the 190A9:

I engaged Erhohte Bunchagermanstuff
I am always playing with prop pitch to grab a little more speed
I try to keep the plane in perfect trim
I cheat every chance I get http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

The P-51 prop control is an rpm governor - set it at max rpm and back it off a bit.

On the 190 keep prop pitch between 85 and 100 percent. It depends on the situation - 100 for accelerating and reduce pitch slowly as the speed increases.

blairgowrie
10-01-2004, 05:28 AM
Erhohte Bunchagermanstuff http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif You almost had me there, Bun.

Hard to believe prop pitch and trim make that much difference but I'll give it a try when we fly that coop again Saturday night.

Thanks.

xrvjorn
10-01-2004, 06:41 AM
I thought all the props where constant speed props, so the prop setting was an input to the speed governor. Thus, I always kept it at maximum for the most power, unless fuel consumption was an issue.

If the setting controls pitch directly, should you fiddle with it until you get a certain optimal engine rpm? (I hope you don't need to do this on planes where the stick obscures the rev counter.)

The mixture setting have always confused me, since there is no exhaust gas temp monitor. I switch to external view to see if my AC is smoking and lean the mixture accordingly.

xrvjorn
10-03-2004, 06:03 AM
*bump*

blairgowrie
10-03-2004, 07:13 AM
I flew last night for 4 hours with Bun-Bun and my other buddies. What a difference! I was using mixture, prop pitch, rad open/closed, and Wep. I think my shoot down rate increased considerably but that may be attributed to my new TrackIR 3 Pro.

If you are not using CEM, I would encourage you to try it.

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

IL2-chuter
10-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Let's see . . . in RL for max performance, German props were run in auto, CS props were run at 100%, mixtures (don't know about Russian) were run on full auto rich, coolers were ALMOST always run in auto . . . BUT, you CAN get an advantage in the game going manual (manual being "emergency backup") . . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Copperhead310th
10-03-2004, 01:10 PM
there's a good article on BCM & ACM on sim HQ.

here's a link.

Sim HQ ACC library (http://www.simhq.com/_air/acc_library.html)