PDA

View Full Version : Rudder disabled

josephs1959
04-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Just a suggestion; When the rudder is disabled there should be a way to use the two engines to maneuver. Port side engine full ahead and Starboard engine full back. That should turn the boat even though it would be a wide turn. At least I could return in the general direction of home. Future Patch possibilites?

DarkOmen13
04-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Yes there should be a way, but there is'nt.
Errr, so there!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Pity though.

D.

blastomatic1759
04-28-2006, 02:54 PM
that would be a neat option but i wonder if they would include the fact that your boat would slide while moving at full speed. and the slower youre moving the better the boat would turn.

josephs1959
04-29-2006, 12:39 AM
Yes, I understand that there are a number of factors that must be included to make this seem as realistic as possible. Currents, tides eddies, the boats speed, momentum, weight, mass,inertia, sea conditions ect. ect. But I'm sure that all of of those factors are written down somewhere when designing a boat's hull. After all the shape and size of a rudder and the ability that it has to turn the hull must be shaped and sized that way for a reason? for example;Titanic had a rudder that was too small for it's hull. A time before computer designing was used.And see what happened? Now I know that U-boats were not designed with computers, but this game is.We are talking about physics.Regardless of the boats behavior in a given situation. There must be some sort of Computed formular out there. Racing yachts and Super tanker's hulls and rudders are designed the way they are for a reason. Have you ever noticed in the game how sharply you turn when you are at full speed? Then you shut off your engines in the middle of the turn. I have, and the radius changes. So this is already computed in the design of the game.There is certainly a difference between leaving it at full speed for the duration of the turn and shutting the engines off in the middle of a turn. I love the game and play it every day for about one to two hours, spare time allowing.But when I come across this oversight in the games design and It has happened three times so far, my mind races to figure out how I am going to get myself and my crew out of this situation and back home to safety. Just an obvious oversight I think that could be easily corrected. I'm not being critical.As far as I can see this is simple;If it happened in reality then factor it in the game design.If the designers could get a real U-boat captian to give an interview then then they, the designers could of asked him how this situation would of been handled.The numbers on the dials indicating the propeller revolutions are there in the conning tower for areason. Not just full, half speed ect. So When I see them I think they must be there for a reason.They are. I believe that this was how speed versus noise was calculated especially in a QUIET and desperate situation by a experienced Captain.This option is not a luxury but a realistic necessity. I believe that these "games"let us see through a simulated window of history that books and documentaries cannot begin to show.It's easy to read or watch and try to understand, but to be put into (even if it is a computer simultation) where the lives of everyone around you is depending for survival.i believe you begin to understand what these men went through.Besides,It only makes the game more realistic and thereby submerging us into I believe, a better understanding of the harrowing last moments of the crews that did and didn't survive. opinions agreed or differed welcomed.

josephs1959
04-29-2006, 01:02 AM
Not to be verbose, but the advantages of two engines is not only for emercencies if one is disabled. It could have beeen used to give a differential in thrust of starboard vs. port. It may be minor but, this was an advantage that could of been thought of in an emergency situation by a desperate Captain. Also,if you notice. When you engage recharging batteries. One engine is turned off. Just use the outside view with the mouse and navigate to the propellers. Oh and one more thing, when will "they" come out with the new version of "Destroyer Command" that will be compatable with this game?