PDA

View Full Version : DiD other endings?? Too many planes trashed?

joeap
12-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Been thinkign about this, I also play SH3 and there is a great mod called SH3 commander for campaings which does many things, giving your cammander a picture and story. Now real u-boat commanders dod not serve on boots the whole war, if they weren't killed they would be retired. The mod "rolls the dice" after 3 missions or so to see if your commander is retired.

Now we can retire ourselves if we make it through 25 missions say in a US Dgen campaign but what about other reasons?

For example: in a 20 mission static LW desert campaign I've lost 6 planes in 20 missions (second go through) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

How many planes could one pilot even if good lose before being sent home?

jds1978
12-02-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure on the numbers...Axis pilots, more or less, flew until they died or were promoted beyond frontline service.

American/British pilots rotated in and out of combat.

Hopefully someone will show up with accurate facts and figures http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

joeap
12-03-2005, 04:06 AM
Right that I know but if a guy kept losing airplanes they might send him home too. Or "promote" him.

Kuna15
12-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Player can shoot down all friendlies he sees including ground objects (providing unlimited ammo) and in debrief it will say: "This ain't your day".

I'd say this is a good reason for some court martial action and death penalty... thus ending player's career.

JFC_Rautaristi
12-03-2005, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Kuna15:
Player can shoot down all friendlies he sees including ground objects (providing unlimited ammo) and in debrief it will say: "This ain't your day".

I'd say this is a good reason for some court martial action and death penalty... thus ending player's career.

Brings out memories of good old Red Baron 2. Shoot down 2 friendlies=prison for life, shoot down 4=you'll be hanged

ImpStarDuece
12-03-2005, 06:30 AM
How many time was Rudel shot down in his career. 32? That number seems to strike a note for some reason. You can bet that he came back with a lot of aircraft that had to be written off as well.

I flew one of the P-47D-10 campaings around Leningrad a while ago. As combat casualties mounted they kept dropping the number of P-47s sent out on missions. It seemed like there was a VERY limited supply, as after about 5 missions we stopped getting replacement planes.

At one point there were just 6 planes available to my squadron. Our much reduced group was flying top cover for a bunch of Il-2s and La-5s hitting German artillery positions about 45 km from our airfield. Two large waves of 190s came at us at about 10,000 feet. My leader rolled in on the top of a finger four and I followed. We both got a good squirt on a target on the way through, leveled out, blitzed through a furball that was developing, and then turned back into the fight. Big mistake as a 3rd group of 190s was waiting for us. I just had time to see my squadron leader break up in mid air and then 'boom' black screen and DiD. Post mission report showed that we had lost all 6 P-47s for 3 kills (one for me and two for the 2nd element leader)