PDA

View Full Version : 109 engine and prop pitch questions

Davinci..
02-11-2006, 06:12 PM
So after the patch i was having a real hard time getting 190's up to speed. I couldnt get the new a5 up past about 510kph(indicated, at about 1000m)for the life of me. couldnt get old a5 up near its 4.02 speed either.

Solution turned out to be to turn of auto pitch to get revs up, and i managed to get good speeds back. I dont ever remember needing to turn off auto prop pitch control to get up to proper speeds in 4.02, i usually just left it on auto and did fine..

Same thing with the 109, i couldnt get it up to or holding its speed in 4.03, so like an idiot apperently i tried turning off auto prop pitch..

i did this in a fight online in a steep zoom climb, going about 300kph and 90% throttle. It blew my engine in about 4 seconds...
Blown engine at 90% and 300kph?
I've now tried this with various 109 models k4,g6,f4. all blow the engine in about 5-7 seconds at 100% pitch if your anywhere near 100% throttle. only way to not blow it is to promptly reduce pitch to about 70, anything more then that and you'll toast her quick..

was this normal? am i missing something? you couldnt use manual pitch without setting pitch to below 75%??? are 109s not able to use 100% pitch?? all other aircraft can.
mabey im an idiot and didnt know that(very possible). but.. so then how do you get top speeds out of her?

ATLAS_DEATH
02-11-2006, 10:07 PM
setting those to 100% pitch and plenty of throttle has always blown the engines. The auto pitch keeps the revs down and keeps it cooler longer... you could find the perfect rpm for max speed but the engine would heat up pretty quick... do some tests... I sometimes blow the engines just for the hell of it.

F19_Ob
02-12-2006, 02:04 AM
With 100% pitch it rev's like crazy so u have to throttle down or be on top of a steep climb.
Try setting it to 60-70% before switching to manual pitch.

In the 109 E the real pilots set a flat pitch first to rev up and get use of the supercharger and then they set a c-o-a-r-s-e-r pitch to get maximum pull. That way they continued to alternate to get more speed, and the sound of the 109 engine was rising and falling.
Those who were unfamiliar with this tecnique couldn't keep up with the rest of the flight.

This tecnique is described briefly but in enough detail in Ulrich Steinhilpers book ' Spifire on my tail' on pages 12-13, 237, 271, 303 and 306.
On page 10 he describes overrevving his 109 to 2800rpm for a long time.