PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing Torpedo`s ??

woundweaver1969
03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
I am new to this so sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. Every so often, when i have fired my torpedo`s at enemy ship, some of them just bounce of the hull ?? Can anyone please explain to me why this happens. Thank you for any advice.

ottoramsaig
03-14-2007, 04:10 PM
AOB angle on the bow...try to get yourself at a 90 degree angle to the approching vessel...Dud torpedos.....You can change this in the realism screen.

logman01
03-14-2007, 04:12 PM
A lot of the torps in the beginning of the war had poor firing pistols. In short, they were duds. The magnetic pistol (which senses if it is near a ship and will explode under it) hardly worked. The impact pistol usually only worked if you had a perpendicular shot on the side of the ship. That is what is causing the "bouncing".

Another reason could be the distance you are firing from. Your target has to be over 300 m away in order for your torpedo to arm. I usually stay around 500 myself.

Best thing to do is switch all your torps early in the war to impact pistols. (The I on the switch on your TDC screen.) Fire from a 90 degree angle off the side of your target. Early in the war it is anyone's guess if it will hit, but later on the torps work much better.

You can change the box in realism to not allow dud torpedos. Also, since you are new, feel free to do a search of the forum. A lot of questions have been asked and answered. You will get a lot of information from here. You also may try the Community Manual (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Main_Page). Good hunting!

banzai_billy
03-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Welcome to SHIII and our humble forum. Like others have just said, it is dud torpedoes. I'd suggest turning this realism feature off. However, if you choose not to, you will achieve best results by having the torpedo impact at as close to a right angle with the hull as possible.

Foehammer-1
03-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Also remember, the ships' hulls are rounded near the bottom. Tankers in particular have a very curved shape near the engine room. If the impact torpedo hits that round edge, it will most likely bounce off. Remedy- either set depth for about 3 meters and go impact, or set it 1 meter below keel and go magnetic. And never shoot at tankers' engine room with impact setting

logman01
03-14-2007, 05:28 PM
And never shoot at tankers' engine room with impact setting

I had never heard this piece of advice before. Why wouldn't you want to hit the engine room with impact setting?

Foehammer-1
03-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Because, as I stated above, a tanker, T2 especially, has an extreme curvature of the hull there, which will bounce off 80% of your torpedoes http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

woundweaver1969
03-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Wow, i`ve got a lot to learn !! In fact just had a scrap with a T2 and guess what the lousy torp bounced !! I was watching and it seemed, like someone said earlier to go low and strike the `rounded` hull. Also was at a fairly sharp angle `AOB` so that didn`t help either !! Anyway, thanks for quick answers all.....i havn`t reached my sector to patrol yet and am already out of Torps !! Thanks again all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif