PDA

View Full Version : Ditching, A Simple Change for BoB please....

LEBillfish
05-23-2006, 07:35 AM
Quite simply, when an AI or Live Piloted plane "ditches" either on water or on the ground, it is instnatly counted as a loss regardless of if the pilot bails or not.

Though I'm sure real life some could be repaired, in most cases I'd assume a prop strike contributed damaged engines and drivelines (even the shock of a plane hitting the ground could do this)....As well as frames flex and bend weakening them, bolts stretch, skins wrinkle and buckle.......All in all essentially, quite often a loss.

Naturally as well it grows tiresome live pilots ditching, to sit out a coop as well.

Thanks, just a thought.

WTE_Galway
05-23-2006, 11:57 PM
to be honest(although i do it myself a bit offline when damaged) sliding in for a wheels up crashlanding on the runway should at the very least count as a plane lost

MucusG
05-25-2006, 06:11 AM
I agree totally.

As a low quality pilot I make some abysmal landings still. You know, rolling the fuselage down the runway with useful stuff like wings and undercarriage scatterring to the four winds.

Never adds to the lost plane count though. I think some of the modern restoration people would think twice before attempting to restore what I "land" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Arm_slinger
05-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Seems a bit counterproductive to me. The RAF couldn't afford to chuck away fighter just like that. Some that were repaired were never right again- oil pressures low, rough engine etc.

Why loose the aircraft if it can be repaired? The fighters could be shot up and treated pretty bad, belly it in, and be flying again in a few days.

I'd like to see it so that if (if the missions are dynamic) the aircraft ditched, it is missing from the squadron until it is repaired again. So rather than having 20 fighters scramble, there are only 19.

Unless of course that is what you meant?

Adding to this, giving the repaired aircraft a different wing would be nice- the cammo out of sync with the rest of it.

LEBillfish
05-25-2006, 08:42 AM
This is "primarily" a suggestion to keep live pilots from simply sit out the kill which for all intensive purposes it is a kill, plane repairable or not as it would be recorded as such......It would also deter AI stealing kills by strafing a plane be they live or AI, etc..

Down, plane busted up, engine probably gone.....You're done....It's not a "if I can out wait them it doesn't count" thing.

Dtools4fools
05-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Completely agree. palne down is a plane lost.

Now what I really would like is another option:

vaiable performance. To be switched on or off in difficulty levels to be able to have even odds for some online players.

What I mean with variable performance is that top speed and climb rate, etc vary from plane to plane by a bit. Depending on pilot experience, squad performance, etc. (lots of losses in short combat period for squad, few experienced pilots in squad would result in planes on lower performace side for example)

Skoshi Tiger
05-26-2006, 01:15 AM
During the battle of Britain, when an aircraft was damaged beyond the ability of the maintenance staff to patch her up and get her back into the air, but was not a complete right-off they were sent back to the factory to be rebuilt.

This was a fairly lengthy process and concdering the short length of the Battle of britain few were actually put back into service before the end of the battle. As far as the campaign was concerned the plane was as gone.

I'ld like a system like they had in Janes US-Navy Fighters.

In that sim you had so many aircraft available to your squadron and so many hours of maintenance. After a mission you had to allocate resources to keep an effective fighting force.

It lead to situations where you might have to fligh a mission with an aircraft that was damaged in a previous mission.

Some times you had to fly older less capable aircraft because bent your top-of-the-wozza F14 in a rough landing and the ground crew hadn't had enough time to fix it.

Cossack13
05-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
This is "primarily" a suggestion to keep live pilots from simply sit out the kill which for all intensive purposes it is a kill, plane repairable or not as it would be recorded as such......It would also deter AI stealing kills by strafing a plane be they live or AI, etc..

Down, plane busted up, engine probably gone.....You're done....It's not a "if I can out wait them it doesn't count" thing.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif All good points.

ckur
05-26-2006, 07:38 AM
This goes maybe a bit OT and may have been suggested before, but here goes:

In dogfight servers I would like to see the last mission influensing the next one. Meaning that if you bring your plane back in good condition you can take off after rearming and fueling. And if you burn your engine or get shot up you have to wait for a while longer until your plane is repaired.

CH

LEBillfish
05-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Rearm, repair and refuel would take "hours to days" being we're a sim not a FPS. Think on it, to fill tanks and ammo bays would at LEAST take an hour or two besides inspecting the plane for damage. A real startup the engine takes quite a while as well is my understanding.

Repair even worse, expect a day to days.....Again, because this is a "reasonable" trade off with being a sim and playability. Besides, what is the big deal at hitting refly, going to the ready room, then hitting fly? Think of it as another plane waiting for you.

As to repairing so it's not a loss?......That's not the point as neither side would not count a ditched plane as a loss. In the end neither affecting what is being asked for here.