PDA

View Full Version : Details of ceremonies for Canadian Victoria Cross recipient Smokey Smith

jetsetsam
08-11-2005, 03:08 PM
VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) -- The Canadian Forces says this weekend's funeral for Victoria Cross veteran Ernest Smokey Smith will be one of the largest in Canadian history.
Hundreds of military personnel, government dignitaries and veterans will participate in this Saturday's procession along Burrard Street.

The march will run from Seaforth Armoury to St. Andrews Wesley Church, closing Burrard Street from 9:30 until approximately 11:00 a.m.

It will include a 16-rifle salute and four military jets will fly over the Burrard Street Bridge.

The public is being encouraged to line the sidewalks and show their support for this great Canadian hero.

A public vigil at the Seaforth Armoury will also take place Friday, where the remains will lie in state from 9:30 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.

Smokey Smith's family has asked the public to donate to a memorial fund in his name instead of bringing flowers to the funeral on Saturday. For more details on the fund please contact the Seaforth Armoury at 604-733-3836.

I'm going and I don't plan on being quiet.

I hope Vancouver gives Smokey a rousing send-off.

gerhardius
08-11-2005, 05:58 PM
I'll be down at the Armoury as well. I am debating which scotch to bring down to toast the procession on Saturday.

Cuidich'n Righ