PDA

View Full Version : Gimballed gyroscopes...New control method?

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 10:41 PM
This is absolutely not at all IL-2 related but.Well I'll ask anyway.

Ridged Hang gliders, as I understand are manoeuvred by the pilot positioning his weight in the direction he wants to go? Shift weight left, turn left. Shift weight right, turn right.

Now, say you made an aircraft without any control surfaces. Could you control its movement in flight by shifting it's centre of weight? The same as you do with the hang glider.

If so would a couple of gimballed gyroscopes achieve the same effect?

<center>http://mysite.freeserve.com/Endodontics/sigs/WhirlyMeanSig2.jpg?0.8357766843806891

'Whirlwind Whiner'
The First of the Few

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 10:41 PM
This is absolutely not at all IL-2 related but.Well I'll ask anyway.

Ridged Hang gliders, as I understand are manoeuvred by the pilot positioning his weight in the direction he wants to go? Shift weight left, turn left. Shift weight right, turn right.

Now, say you made an aircraft without any control surfaces. Could you control its movement in flight by shifting it's centre of weight? The same as you do with the hang glider.

If so would a couple of gimballed gyroscopes achieve the same effect?

<center>http://mysite.freeserve.com/Endodontics/sigs/WhirlyMeanSig2.jpg?0.8357766843806891

'Whirlwind Whiner'
The First of the Few

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 11:09 PM
to be able to shift the weight any great amount in a real, engine plane, you would need a bulky structure which would be less reliable, heavier, and less effective than control surfices.

To accomplish something similar(this is off the top of my head) you could make the wing 'slidable' I.E. when the pilot pushes left stick, the wing (which would be solid, left wing and right wing are one peice) is slid to to the right so the amount of wing on the left is less than the amount of wing on the right, resulting in a left roll.

The gimballed gyros might work, but to make them able to change the plane's attitude any signifigant amount, the plane would have to be very, very unstable (so it changes attitude easily) or the gyros would have to be really, really fast (light speed!!!. not quite that fast) or the gyros would have to be really, really heavy (in which case the planes attitude and heading would change . .. but it would just keep going in the same direction.

All said, I think control surfaces are the most weight efficient thing existing today. Maybe future planes will have morphable materials and the entire shape of the plane will alter to control its movements (that would be one cool mutha, perfect aireodynamics in turns = very little E loss. could morph into ultra needle transsonic and then into wide winged turnfighter. Due in only 3 centuries!)

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 11:42 PM
Aflak wrote:
- All said, I think control surfaces are the most
- weight efficient thing existing today. Maybe future
- planes will have morphable materials and the entire
- shape of the plane will alter to control its
- movements (that would be one cool mutha, perfect
- aireodynamics in turns = very little E loss. could
- morph into ultra needle transsonic and then into
- wide winged turnfighter. Due in only 3 centuries!)

Someone's been watching too much anime (Macross Plus maybe?) /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Actually, they're already working on it:

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewsReleases/2003/03-38.html

"A joint program of the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), NASA Dryden and Boeing Phantom Works, AAW seeks to demonstrate improved aircraft roll control through aerodynamically induced wing twist on a full-scale manned supersonic aircraft-essentially a 21st century, high-tech update of the primitive wing-warping control system devised by the Wright brothers for their 1903 Wright Flyer. Among other benefits, the concept could allow lighter-weight wings for better maneuverability for future high-performance military aircraft."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When my brother and I built and flew the first man-carrying flying machine, we thought that we were introducing into the world an invention which would make further wars impossible..."

Orville Wright, 1917

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 11:45 PM
Aflak wrote:

The gimballed gyros might work, but to make them able to change the plane's attitude any signifigant amount, the plane would have to be very, very
unstable (so it changes attitude easily)

Like the F-117

or the gyros would have to be really, really fast (light
speed!!!. not quite that fast)

If powered by the engine's they could be accelerated accordingly?

What do you think their size would have to be to affect a change of the tilting force plane, in say a F-16?

'Whirlwind Whiner'
The First of the Few

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Leadfinger_71 wrote:
- Someone's been watching too much anime (Macross Plus
- maybe?)
What da he** is that? I know what anime is, some of the people I know are real fanatics about it- but i've never head that title. [Or understood any of it!]
But I thought cartoons were for little kids!

As for the shape-shifting fighter, why not just add air jet nozzles to the nose, wings, and tail? Like little rocket thrusters.

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 12:33 AM
By moving the gimbals along the axis of spin the tilting force plane would affect the aircraft just as using a convensional rudder would...? Surely?

'Whirlwind Whiner'
The First of the Few