PDA

View Full Version : Joystick Guide - Revised !

jayhall0315
09-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Hey guys - After getting some advice from a real fighter pilot back in May (when I was still a green noob), I reset many of my controls on my CH HOTAS. I found though, after a month or so of experimentation that things were still not set up for maximum ergonomic comfort and speed, especially when dogfighting. So after fooling with some settings (and allowing my lab monkeys to fool with mock joystick setups - which was a blast), I redesigned the HOTAS maps based on motor cortex relays of how humans control input devices.

I encourage you to give the guide a try (specifically try the maps on your own HOTAS setups at home) and put any feedback here in this thread. I think that you will find the new HOTAS maps to maximize speed and comfort when fighting thru Hyperlobby.

You can find the guide here:
http://files.filefront.com/Newbies+Joystick+Revisedpdf/...73755;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/Newbies+Joystick+Revisedpdf/;11873755;/fileinfo.html)

Cheers,
Jay

Fehler
09-23-2008, 04:49 AM
Whoa! I really do think you are working on Skynet now!

The long throw stick I made (Many thanks again to Julian for the great writeup!) was interesting to set up. Adjusting the sensitivity of the hall sensors and positional "stops" were a bit time consuming, but everything feels very instictive now. This was the problem I have always had with the store bought joystick.

jayhall0315
09-23-2008, 11:44 AM
I dont work for SkyNet, I am SkyNet and this is my bad impersonation of a human - Muuwhaahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!

Enjoy the guide and let me know guys if you find any off settings.

Thanks - Jay

TheFamilyMan
09-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Interesting. I use a X52 Pro and 'on my own', came up with the same fingering and also use the hats with simular assignments. But, I strongly disagree that the landing gear be assigned a button in the main action area. It's a real bummer if you drop your gear rather than a bomb. I assign all landing operations to the toggles; besides landing has to be the most planned out thing you do, so dropping the gear is not that time critical (unless you are some sort of hot-dogger).

jayhall0315
09-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Nothing wrong with that. Actually on my personal setup (CH Products HOTAS), I have the big red button at the top of the Fighterstick for nav lights. This means when I get in trouble and have taken damage or am smoking, which never happens to me - he, he - I just hit the nav lights button to let the enemy know that I am wounded (or landing, etc ..).

The CH Fighterstick is a little different from the topology of the X-52 joysticks and I only got to play with my X-52 for about 5 weeks. You make a good point though. Perhaps the placement of the Landing Gear button is too close to the other functions on the joystick.

Let me think it over for a bit.

Thanks for the input - Jay

Stingray333
09-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by TheFamilyMan:
Interesting. I use a X52 Pro and 'on my own', came up with the same fingering and also use the hats with simular assignments. But, I strongly disagree that the landing gear be assigned a button in the main action area. It's a real bummer if you drop your gear rather than a bomb. I assign all landing operations to the toggles; besides landing has to be the most planned out thing you do, so dropping the gear is not that time critical (unless you are some sort of hot-dogger).

My solution is to have several modes setup on the X-52: Aerobatics, Landing and Fighting.

Basically:

Aerobatics:
Trigger = push-to-talk (team speak)
Launch = Wingtip smoke
Fire A/B = landing/nav lights
Pinkie = push-to-talk (team speak)

Landing:
Trigger = wheel brakes
Fire A = Open canopy
Fire B = seat adjust
Fire C = lock tail wheel
Launch = landing gear
pinkie = push-to-talk

Fighting:
Trigger1 = machine guns
Trigger2 = cannon
FireC = cannon
Launch = weapon 4 (bombs)
Fire A = weapon 3 (rockets)
pinkie = push-to-talk

In all modes the throttle is basically the same: flaps, web, trim, prop pitch and mixture, and the 4 way hat switch on the stick I use to control gunsight view/F.O.V, there are probably a few buttons in there that I missed,

Jay: cool doc, lots of info there. For the record I find the thumb-slider to be easier to use for the elevator trim rather than the rotary dial for the thumb, but that may just be my personal preferences,

Stingray

P.FunkAdelic
09-23-2008, 02:38 PM
I had the intention of setting up my x-52 so that the 3 modes reflected landing/take off, fighter combat, bombing. However I find that I rarely change modes except when bombing.

I had considered making the pinkie switch into a separate function but the pinkie-shift is very handy and probably responsible for my lack of mode switching.

I feel the need to optimize my set up but my throttle is mostly fixed. Interestingly enough I haven't used most of the buttons on my stick, just the fire C button for locking tail wheel. I use the red fire button to drop tanks and with the pinkie its bail out.

jayhall0315
09-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Stingray333:

... For the record I find the thumb-slider to be easier to use for the elevator trim rather than the rotary dial for the thumb, but that may just be my personal preferences,

Stingray

Unfortunately, I only got to play with my X-52 for about 5 weeks before I had to return it. I will take your point into consideration though - it sounds very reasonable.

I really liked the throttle of the X-52 but I was not a big fan of the joystick. Due to the torque while twisting, my stick developed play within about 3 weeks. It was never a major issue, but no where close to the precision of my Fighterstick. I think if someone really wants to make a 'twist' stick, they need to do it right with high quality Hall sensors, so the dang thing lasts and does not feel cheap.

Jay

P.FunkAdelic
09-23-2008, 03:16 PM
I know what you mean. I have a used x-52 and there is a bit of deadzone on the left side of the rolling axis which is not fatal by any means but just a bit of a detriment towards precision.

Fact is though that the throttle is by far the best feature. The combination of buttons and features are just brilliant. I feels very cool with the throttle rolling along a curved track.

I plan on getting a fighter stick eventually because its supposed to be the best and if the x-52 didn't come with a throttle it wouldn't be worth it at all. But the thing is that you can buy an x-52 for about $100 and you don't pay any less for a CH Throttle so with that deal you get a better throttle (as some have argued, no experience here) and a backup stick should you ever need one while your new Fighterstick ships.

jayhall0315
09-23-2008, 05:19 PM
The Franken Potato mod by Ken "531 Ghost" King has now been included in the Joystick Guide as well. I know not too many people own this mod yet, but you might want to look into it because it is the nicest of all the throttles out there.

Jay