PDA

View Full Version : Does PF model the effect of air temp.?

Tex-Hill-AVG
08-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Hi all,

I now work in sales for a general aviation company. The company's biggest money maker is it's discount fuel program for aircraft that use Jet-A fuel,(turboprops & jet powered aircraft). We also own & maintain a fleet of Lear's, Dassault Falcon's, Gulfstream's, & Westwind's for charter purposes.

Here in our area high temps have been around 100 degrees F or hotter for the past several days. The pilots have been commenting on how the hot temperatures adversely affect aircraft performance to the point that some flights in some locations may be cancelled. The reason being that the aircraft need a longer take off run in order to gain the necessary speed & lift to get airborne with a full load. Right now in Madera, CA they are taking off off with only 100 ft of runway to spare, (this is in a Lear 25).

So, to my question. Does PF simulate the effect of ambient air temperature, ( & other weather variables like humidity, pressure), on aircraft performance?

Thanks,
Tex

Tex-Hill-AVG
08-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Hi all,

I now work in sales for a general aviation company. The company's biggest money maker is it's discount fuel program for aircraft that use Jet-A fuel,(turboprops & jet powered aircraft). We also own & maintain a fleet of Lear's, Dassault Falcon's, Gulfstream's, & Westwind's for charter purposes.

Here in our area high temps have been around 100 degrees F or hotter for the past several days. The pilots have been commenting on how the hot temperatures adversely affect aircraft performance to the point that some flights in some locations may be cancelled. The reason being that the aircraft need a longer take off run in order to gain the necessary speed & lift to get airborne with a full load. Right now in Madera, CA they are taking off off with only 100 ft of runway to spare, (this is in a Lear 25).

So, to my question. Does PF simulate the effect of ambient air temperature, ( & other weather variables like humidity, pressure), on aircraft performance?

Thanks,
Tex

FritzGryphon
08-26-2005, 04:49 PM
I've noticed in cold air (especially winter maps) the planes generally turn better, and the engines stay cool longer. Opposite is true on hot maps; aircraft seems sluggish and stall-happy, and engine overheats quickly.

Don't know about other factors.

NonWonderDog
08-26-2005, 09:43 PM
I'm fairly certain each map has at least its own temperature and sea level air density, with all the effects that would entail. I don't think there are hot days and cold days on the same map, though.

I have no idea if different cloud cover options have different temperatures.

VT-51_Razor
08-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Grab a Heinkel, and go fly around for a while. Gain some serious altitude, and watch the OAT guage. It's right over your head just to your right. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TAGERT.
08-26-2005, 10:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tex-Hill-AVG:
Hi all,

Thanks,
Tex </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yes