PDA

View Full Version : Help with External hard disk

IZT
04-06-2005, 05:10 AM
OK so i just got an external HDD. well not those ready made ones, i mean the buy your own hard drive and put it in a USB2.0 enclosure. So far so good. everything is connected well, powers plugged in usb2.0 is plugged in. the light comes up. the computer USB port detects it and in the "Safely Remove hArdware" program it appears asHDS7...0PLAT20USB Device . yet when i open My Computer, the drive doesn't appear. Im quiet sure i set the drive to MASTER(16pin). Though maybe someone could elaborate on this...as theres one for 16 pion and 15 pin and 32GB sth. i have tried detecting for new hardware. Doesn't work either. please Help Me. Thanks!

IZT
04-06-2005, 05:10 AM
OK so i just got an external HDD. well not those ready made ones, i mean the buy your own hard drive and put it in a USB2.0 enclosure. So far so good. everything is connected well, powers plugged in usb2.0 is plugged in. the light comes up. the computer USB port detects it and in the "Safely Remove hArdware" program it appears asHDS7...0PLAT20USB Device . yet when i open My Computer, the drive doesn't appear. Im quiet sure i set the drive to MASTER(16pin). Though maybe someone could elaborate on this...as theres one for 16 pion and 15 pin and 32GB sth. i have tried detecting for new hardware. Doesn't work either. please Help Me. Thanks!

-HH- Beebop
04-06-2005, 06:15 AM
Now I'm not that smart when it comes to computers but, perhaps your computer won't recognize a hard drive that's plugged into a USB port as a MASTER. I assume you have a hard drive internally? If so is it also set to MASTER. I don't belive a computer can serve two masters so to speak. Try setting the external to SLAVE.

Better advice, post this in "Technical Support" a.k.a. "Community Help" Forum. There some real brains can help you out. steve_v and Luckyboy come to mind. You may also want to post your dxdiag as well as it will help those gurus determine the exact cause of your problem.

Good luck. I know someone here will have the answer.

Weather_Man
04-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Make sure you have formatted the drive first. It won't recognize it (give it a drive letter) until then. If it is detected in your administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk managment in the control panel, format it there. If not, then use the utility CD that came with it to do a quick format and then use the disk management tool to do a full format and partition if you want one. Not sure if you can use the utility while connected to USB, so you may have to plug it in to the IDE as a slave then boot up with your utility CD.

p1ngu666
04-06-2005, 10:14 AM
device may need drivers
or need a full power usb socket, so try another socket...