PDA

View Full Version : Brotherhood Hidden Blade Counter Kill Timing

Razrback16
01-22-2011, 07:57 PM
In AC2, in order to counter with the hidden blade, you literally had to hit the button literally right before you got hit, and the only target you couldn't counter were seekers (long spearmen) -- in Brotherhood I'm told you can counter anything with the hidden blade -- I've noticed I have a much harder time countering with the hidden blade. Is the timing different? Could someone describe to me how and when they are countering?

ghostferret
01-22-2011, 08:35 PM
In my experience, countering and disarms are both harder in ACB than in AC2, either because of timing or simply because it can't be done with some weapon-opponent combinations. The trick in ACB to taunt your opponent first. When I do this, then counters and disarms are easy. I can't speak to the hidden blade versus other weapons. As far as I know, taunting works for everything.

Razrback16
01-22-2011, 08:41 PM
It seems like I only have a hard time with the hidden blade counters. Otherwise, I mainly fight with the short blade / knives, and I'm pretty good with those, very rarely do I get hit. When fighting brutes / seekers I usually just dodge their attack because those units in particular are virtually impossible to counter, so when I dodge I just do a quick 3-hit chain and start an execution streak and that usually proves to avoid any damage, but it would be nice to be able to use the hidden blade countering with those units in particular, but I can't seem to get the timing right. I was very good in AC2 with the hidden blades and used them almost exclusively without hardly ever taking damage (maybe 3-5 hits in the entire game), but for some reason Brotherhood just seems different in that respect.

Ass4ssin8me
01-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Then its just me who finds it 1000000000000000000X eaiser in ACB. No sarcasm, it was alot eaiser for me...

ThaWhistle
01-22-2011, 09:51 PM
AC>AC2. I have no idea about brotherhood, but once I got the timing down, I was able to turn into an unstoppable murder machine. I replayed AC last week, when I got to the kill robert part, I managed to do the whole thing without getting hit. I did a celebratory jig afterwards.

LordWolv
01-23-2011, 12:09 AM
The hidden blade can counter everyone, whereas the sword and dagger can't counter Brutes, Seekers and Papals. I personally think ACB combat is massively easier. All you need is timing, but it works in the same way as AC2.

Scottduszy
01-23-2011, 02:15 AM
You guys actually used stuff besides the hidden blade? I didn't.

Rakudaton
01-23-2011, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Ass4ssin8me:
Then its just me who finds it 1000000000000000000X eaiser in ACB. No sarcasm, it was alot eaiser for me...

I agree. The timing in AC is slightly less lenient than AC2, but AC2 is MUCH less lenient than ACB. Seriously, I don't even have to concentrate to land a hidden blade counter in brotherhood, whereas in AC1&2 I would constantly be on edge to get the timing perfect. Now you can even counter the seekers (spearmen), but I'm not so sure about the brutes (axemen).

germanosz
01-23-2011, 04:13 AM
Actually, I can press the counter anytime during the attack animation in ACB, unlike AC & ACII where I had to focus on it....

SnazzyDash
01-23-2011, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Rakudaton:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ass4ssin8me:

I agree. The timing in AC is slightly less lenient than AC2, but AC2 is MUCH less lenient than ACB. Seriously, I don't even have to concentrate to land a hidden blade counter in brotherhood, whereas in AC1&2 I would constantly be on edge to get the timing perfect. Now you can even counter the seekers (spearmen), but I'm not so sure about the brutes (axemen). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I remember in AC, once you had the timing down on the hidden blade counters, you had basically mastered the game because they were the hardest to time properly. I feel like AC2 and Brotherhood made me worse http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

tyrce111
01-23-2011, 04:29 AM
Hidden blades counter anything exept fists...

Hidden blade counter requires the equivilent time of about a sword...

Its executions are the fastest aswell I think...

In the end, we have a weapon that can counter anything, is easy to counter and is very fast.

LordWolv
01-23-2011, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by tyrce111:
Hidden blades counter anything exept fists...

Hidden blade counter requires the equivilent time of about a sword...

Its executions are the fastest aswell I think...

In the end, we have a weapon that can counter anything, is easy to counter and is very fast.
That does make it look strange, yes. Basically your starting weapon is the best weapon you can get. I only use swords because they look better. But realisticly, you have no need to buy extra weapons!

Pavan_NL
01-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Razrback16:
In AC2, in order to counter with the hidden blade, you literally had to hit the button literally right before you got hit, and the only target you couldn't counter were seekers (long spearmen) -- in Brotherhood I'm told you can counter anything with the hidden blade -- I've noticed I have a much harder time countering with the hidden blade. Is the timing different? Could someone describe to me how and when they are countering?

In ACB you have more time to hit the counter button, but I think it also should be hit sooner. You are too late if you press it just before you get hit(like in AC1/AC2), although I'm not too sure about this.

Oh and you could counter spears with the hidden blade in AC2.

Razrback16
01-23-2011, 08:30 AM
I have figured out what the problem was -- in AC/AC2 I'm used to playing on the PC. My CPU/GPU run the game with far less lag than the console, so when I hit the counter-attack button on the PC (literally right before the enemy makes contact) it takes effect immediately -- on the console there is a slight lag-effect, so I simply have to hit the button a bit earlier than I'm used to in AC2. Now I'm more anxious to get ACB for the PC to see if it runs like AC2 in terms of the timing.

Thanks for all the feedback fellas.

Turkiye96
01-23-2011, 09:30 AM
well the easiest way to get good at the counter kills is to simply practice go out on the map and just kill, kill, and kill some more....
after some time u will get used to it and it will be too easy....
by the end of each game u should have killed enough people to become a master at it... if not just practice more...
ac is the hasrds to master but even so... nothing that 5 min to 1 hour of training can fix
depending on your skill

maglaromuna
01-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Ass4ssin8me:

yes i do find it easier in ACB as well, probably in ACB the timing for countering is so much better than AC2. you can counter any opponent(except brutes and seekers) within like 2 seconds not like in AC2 where like you counter in like 0.5 seconds.

MaskedReaper
01-24-2011, 02:03 AM
In the list of hardest to do is:

1. AC1 is the hardest since guard get stronger 'each memory sequence' and can easily catch your arm and counter your counter.
2. AC2 is second
3. ACB is third but almost ties with AC2 because it's practically the SAME but 'sometimes' ACB gets at little tough sometimes with certain guards.

One thing I hate and find frustrating is you have the 'hidden blade VT mission' where you have to do ONLY hidden blade kill streaks and sometimes you can't counter the first three guards and keep getting hit which cancels the whole VT mission and you wonder WHY it didn't work when you press counter button.

The thing I hated about AC1 was when in a middle of a fight and have the hidden blade selected and once you get hit after failing to counter, you automatically go back to pulling out ya 'sword'.
So trying to use hidden blade in AC1 fights was frustrating since your always fighting the 'system' when it goes back to sword each time.
Well at least they didn't have this problem in AC2.

Guards got stronger each memory sequence in AC1 which is similar to AC2 on getting more brutes later on.
In AC1 guards can counter 'your counter' making harder to get quick kills.
Even with a sword, I found with guards I keep clashing swords over and over again until someone weakens until you get a clean kill.
But it's funny how AC1 is almost an entirely different game to AC2 and ACB because the fighting system is almost completely different difficulty level.
Fighting ya boss in AC1 is hard and even trying to kill off one clone is even difficult.

Ass4ssin8me
01-24-2011, 03:15 AM
The game is too easy.. It seems, like they tried, to make it so its accessable to everyone, but in the process, made it a interactive movie. Hence the reason, eaiser kill streaks, with the hidden blade etc.

And it won't kill them to add in boss fights. AC1 only really had Al Mualim but it was something. Rodrigo and Ceasere ( I know how to spell this my mind has just gone blank =P ) are too easy to count.

Most mordern games refuse to add boss fights. I didn't really mind, until recently I got my, hands on [prototype]. The boss battles really brought back, good memories, and even though AC's game style, can't bring in fights like that, a person, who has completely masterd the blade, or something, or someone using a P.o.E to help them or something, could greatly increase the gameplay.

They should also bring back the old Assassinations, were it was, more stealth, and assassinating. Not barging into, the castello taking out an army of guards and then chasing our target -_-

Woah.... Sorry for going waaaaay off topic, but seeing talk of AC1 in this thread made, me want to add my 2 cents http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

tyrce111
01-24-2011, 06:09 AM
I also forgot to mention that the hidden blade can allow silent assassinations, poison kills, aireal assassinations, long range assassinations and double assassinations...

We all probably know that its the coolest, sleekest, fastest, strongest, steathiest weapon in all 3 games!

HiddenBlaDe00
01-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood has introduced a modification of the battle mechanics, namely the "kill streak". Basically, when you execute one enemy, and you are within vicinity of another, you can finish the first execution and continue on to complete another one on a nearby target, thereby providing the player with an instant one-hit-kill regardless of how many enemies there may be around him/her.

We didn't have this luxury in AC II.

The kill streak has made Brotherhood significantly easier because players will no longer have to perform one execution after another in succession of the previous one.

Furthermore, the hidden blade is the most versatile and best suited weapon in the entire game. Because the hidden blade itself can counter any guard of any rank, players won't have to worry about changing weapons in order to fight certain enemies in the heat of battle. This can provide Ezio with an advantage over a group of different types of enemies because he can counter any one of them and continue to take out the rest of them via kill streak.

Finally, Once Ezio has completed an execution and is performing a kill streak, he can continue his kill streak even when threatened by a nearby enemy's physical attack by simply completing the current execution and then countering the physical attack before it connects, thereby preventing damage and adding another kill to the streak.

Now about the timing. In AC II, players have to focus on precision when it comes to counter kills. There seems to be a precise time at which a counter must be executed in order for it to be successful. On top of this, higher ranked enemies have to be damaged a certain amount before they can be properly executed. For instance, Brutes have a high resistance to Ezio's attacks and will have to be damaged a certain amount before a hidden blade execution will be effective on them.

In Brotherhood, counter kills work in the same fashion as in previous installments, with a difference in mechaniccs. In Brotherhood, you don't have to damage enimies in order to perform executions on them. This gives another advantage in that killing requires less time and is therefore more effective. Also, the amount of response time required for a counter execution seems to have been significantly increased, thereby giving players an opportunity to experiment with a timing that is more comfortable to them. In other words, players can basically "button mash" to a certain extent and gain the same execution effect described in AC II, all without the necessary amount of concentration.
TL;DR

In AC II
- Higher ranked enemies must be damaged before trying to perform an execution.
- Enemy archetypes have more influence than Brotherhood because certain enemies respond differently to Ezio's choice of weapons and approach.
- Combat requires more concentration because response times are strict.

In Brotherhood
- Kill streaks allow Ezio to kill one enemy, then continue a chain of one-hit-kills, thereby giving players the convenience of having to only counter once and then button mash a slew of instakills while still being able to counter a possible attack in the middle of a kill streak.
- Enemy archetypes are less influential to combat mechanics because Ezio doesn't have to worry about finding "weapon-enemy-compatability" in order to counter.
- The timing is less precise and therefore requires less concentration. Again with the button mashing.

The problem I find with combat in Brotherhood is my ability to stay in "combat mode". Basically, when I perform a kill streak around a small group of guards and they die, and another group comes along, I have already gone out of "combat mode" by the time they reach me, meaning Ezio isn't on guard. This leaves me open to a small window of lag time between being ready to fight and being vulnerable.

I actually could go on and on and on about this subject. I'm sure I've overlooked something about this battle system...

Auditorexxx
01-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Actually, i do find it a bit difficult to counter with the hidden blade since thats the main weapon i use in ac. It's all about timing though. Alot of people should know this but when a guard is about to attack you, the health bars on top of them will blink. From there, you should be able to counter more