PDA

View Full Version : Can't share the love

Thorzdad
10-01-2004, 06:47 AM
I've installed MystIV on a G5 Mac running OSX 10.3.5.
This computer is shared by 3 other family members. We each have our own accounts on the Mac. Here is my problem...
MystIV will only run in the account which installed it. In this case, it is my Admin account. Myst is locked from running in any of the other accounts on my Mac. Adjusting permissions doesn't help. You can authorize it for users in the Admin Accounts tool, but the selection does not stick.

Anyone else having this problem? Is this, somehow, part of the anti-piracy measures of the game? I have some very disappointed family members right now, who can't play the game.

Jim

Thorzdad
10-01-2004, 06:47 AM
I've installed MystIV on a G5 Mac running OSX 10.3.5.
This computer is shared by 3 other family members. We each have our own accounts on the Mac. Here is my problem...
MystIV will only run in the account which installed it. In this case, it is my Admin account. Myst is locked from running in any of the other accounts on my Mac. Adjusting permissions doesn't help. You can authorize it for users in the Admin Accounts tool, but the selection does not stick.

Anyone else having this problem? Is this, somehow, part of the anti-piracy measures of the game? I have some very disappointed family members right now, who can't play the game.

Jim

jetuserX
10-01-2004, 06:50 AM
no actually.. you need to modify the permissions to be runnable by all.. its chmod 755 of the launcher i think

Thorzdad
10-01-2004, 06:56 AM
I'm not sure what you mean.
It ran fine in my Admin account without touching the permissions. And I'm afraid I am not savvy enough to know what "chmod 755 of the launcher" means, of what it implies I need to do.

jetuserX
10-01-2004, 08:55 AM
basically.. just open console to the directory where the game is stored.. most likely in the /bin directory under where you installed myst 4 then type in chmod 755 (name of progam.. its myst4.exe for windows) and hit enter
then that should work.. if not then do chmod 777 on that file and try again

widescape
10-01-2004, 09:23 AM
You don't need the console / Terminal to do this. In OS X it makes no difference if the permissions are changed in the Terminal or in the Finder. And unfortunately I can confirm, that the Myst4.app doesn't work for other users even if the users have all rights (777).

maztec
10-01-2004, 12:17 PM
Make sure the documents directory it is wriitng to is writeable by all users. Check to see if it is writing to the same one for all users. I am going to assume it is.