PDA

View Full Version : SvM would work perfectly in the SC:C engine

braiog
06-23-2010, 04:38 PM
I just wanted to say that despite what Ubisoft indicated, the engine they created in SC:C would have complimented SvM perfectly.

I really hope Ubisoft entertains the idea of creating a standalone SvM, even if it used the same engine.

The Spies move at humanistic speeds, and I wouldn't mind seeing them have the extra moves like sliding under low walls and pulling themselves up into ceiling openings.

The light/shadow could work, and the map designs are actually very well done. Overall, I'm displeased with Ubisoft's SC:C multiplayer on a technical standpoint (connection issues, server availability, etc.)

But from a game mechanic, I think this game made great strides forward. I particularly like the cover system (though you should really let us map more functions to more keys; I'm getting tired of wanting to roll and instead, turning around and hugging a wall.

Anyways, Ubi. SvM as separate Multiplayer. I think it would be a great idea. If you could resolve your multiplayer issues, could be another source of revenue.

kroen1987
06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Ubisoft did not create the Unreal engine.

braiog
06-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah... I appreciate you stating the obvious and all, but nobody in this thread ever said they did.

Previous SC MP games utilized the Unreal Engine, and the mechanics they have in place for SC:C could compliment a decent SvM experience rather easily.

kroen1987
06-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by braiog:
Yeah... I appreciate you stating the obvious and all, but nobody in this thread ever said they did.

I just wanted to say that despite what Ubisoft indicated, the engine they created in SC:C would have complimented SvM perfectly.

braiog
06-24-2010, 11:03 AM
lol.

The engine they created = "The modifications they made to the engine to accommodate the gameplay mechanics."

I know they didn't create the Unreal engine. I gotta be more careful next time for people who take you for every literal word. But having to flesh out everything just takes too much time.

tysonsflag
06-24-2010, 12:48 PM
the problem with the multiplayer is that the ai is stupid and predictable. This makes multiplayer games play out in the same way over and over again. SvM would improve this so much that i can't believe they left it out.

roelbartstra
06-24-2010, 01:32 PM
To be honest I don't care if Ubisoft creates multiplayer or not, since I can't play it anyway.

Chaos theory worked fine, I opened up my ports, and it all worked the way you expect it.

Just to save braiog about the "own engine" stuff.

Everyone is complaining this is just a modified unreal 2.5 engine, while most engines these days are modified old engines.

Take Source, it's a modified Quake engine, same goes for a lot of other games that are still coming out and use older engines with a new label on it, even Crysis 2.

I don't care about graphics, I just care about a working game, I notified Ubisoft about my issues, and at one point the didn't even respond to my questions anymore. A few weeks later I got a message "We put your question on solved since you haven't responded in 48 hours.
I WAS F*CKING RESPONDING TO THEM, AND THEY JUST IGNORED IT.

If they had send me a message: "Sorry we can't help, because we have no idea what the problem is", I would be oké with that.

Why can't they just make it like Valve does, these guys are the only ones that know how to make a game work on a pc.

braiog
06-24-2010, 02:50 PM
I guess like how Valve is master of the PC game, Ubisoft is moreso a developer for consoles. (Valve would never entertain the thought of matchmaking on PC)

It's just sad that with all the talent Ubisoft has, they repeatedly let themselves (and the consumers) down because they refuse to implement a team who knows how to make a solid multiplayer experience.

Like I was saying, when the game DOES work smoothly (very rare), it's amazingly fun. Like how SvM was unique and genre-defining. Ubisoft's execution of these great creative gems is 2 notches below devastatingly horrible.

Krollapse
06-27-2010, 12:38 AM
lol.

The engine they created =

The engine they created.

Don't contradict yourself when making bogus points, it only makes your points weaker.

Take Source, it's a modified Quake engine

No, goldsource is a modified quake engine.

Oh i see, you're a valve fanboy, yet you don't even know about the engine that powers your favorite game... Typical.

braiog
06-27-2010, 08:23 AM
I'll try to make a mental note about how anal you are on exacts and specifics.

I bet you're the life of a party.

And yes, I understand that party cannot have life to it, that it isn't any type of sentient being.

x3cPeasant
06-27-2010, 10:36 AM
SvM is already being made in Unreal Engine 3:

http://www.projectstealthgame.com

BTW ubisoft did basically make this engine, sure Epic did their part but ubisoft Tailored it to suit their needs so you are both right, and both wrong.

braiog
06-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I understand Epic created the engine. Ubisoft tailor suited it to their needs. They both have creation rights to the final engine, though Epic more than Ubi.

I'm keeping eyes on project Stealth.

chicken32
06-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by roelbartstra:
To be honest I don't care if Ubisoft creates multiplayer or not, since I can't play it anyway.

Chaos theory worked fine, I opened up my ports, and it all worked the way you expect it.

Just to save braiog about the "own engine" stuff.

Everyone is complaining this is just a modified unreal 2.5 engine, while most engines these days are modified old engines.

Take Source, it's a modified Quake engine, same goes for a lot of other games that are still coming out and use older engines with a new label on it, even Crysis 2.

I don't care about graphics, I just care about a working game, I notified Ubisoft about my issues, and at one point the didn't even respond to my questions anymore. A few weeks later I got a message "We put your question on solved since you haven't responded in 48 hours.
I WAS F*CKING RESPONDING TO THEM, AND THEY JUST IGNORED IT.

If they had send me a message: "Sorry we can't help, because we have no idea what the problem is", I would be oké with that.

Why can't they just make it like Valve does, these guys are the only ones that know how to make a game work on a pc.
I understand your point completely. But the difference between what Valve has done with Source and Ubisoft is that the current Source engine has modification that it can handle or they implemented more optimizations into the engine to be able to handle the additions such as higher res textures/facial animations. But Ubisoft completely ignored the additions of optimization to coincide the new tech added into the engine like the Ambient Occlusion, more lighting or new type of lighting, iduno which they've used, etc...

If the game didn;t have the blurry textures, blocky models it would have been a good reason for the performance drops. But they're not, it CAN look like a last gen game at times because of those things.

braiog
06-27-2010, 03:29 PM
The one thing you gotta love Valve for is that they have yet to fix the looping audio stutter bug in their engine.

I got a co-worker on the Mac who says he's yet to encounter that. Seems the bug is PC only.

roelbartstra
06-27-2010, 05:03 PM
What made the old splinter cell versus work is the fact there were no dynamic lights and no a.i.

The way the multiplayer for conviction is build, is just not possible with the way Ubisoft has setup there online servers.

What I don't get about the multiplayer right now, is that it feels so singleplayer with another guy who never plays the way you want. It doesn't feel coop, because the only "coop moves" you have in this game is "dual EMP" and "opening a door". It's not as lame as it sounds, but it's just so strange how Ubisoft showed with the Chaos theory coop, what a coop game is all about, and then they just remove it in Conviction. I'm sure Ubisoft can come up with some coop mechanics that fit this stealth based tactical shooter gameplay.

@braiog, I think the sound stutter issue has something to do with drivers, I remember reading something about it on the steam forums.

braiog
06-27-2010, 08:13 PM
I fought the sound stutter for a good 2 months and gave up. We went through sound driver installs and the whole kit'n'kaboodle.

I think what Ubisoft is doing with MP in SC is systematically simplifying it.

Right now I can run through maps on Hunter. The only real challenge is when the game gives me 5 frames per second and expects me to pull of a shot on someone. Not gonna happen.