PDA

View Full Version : OT hardrive replacement question

cwhense
04-15-2010, 11:15 AM
its a seagate 80 gig had it for what it seems like forever but its at least since the sata 2 interface came out I think it might even be older, I use ofr my O/S only. On bootup today it gave me a Smart error please backup your data and replace the drive.

I done that now, question is what size do I replace it with, I not going with a faster drive as the 7200rpm drives are good enough for me.

I currently have the the following
C: 80gig
D: 320gig game and program drive
E: 320 gig data drive and games also
USB drive 1TB data and backup only

I am using win 7 64 bit and with only the O/S and a few programs that do not let you choose the drive to install in I have about 36 gig free at the moment on that drive

I think thats all of the information that is needed

cwhense
04-15-2010, 11:15 AM
its a seagate 80 gig had it for what it seems like forever but its at least since the sata 2 interface came out I think it might even be older, I use ofr my O/S only. On bootup today it gave me a Smart error please backup your data and replace the drive.

I done that now, question is what size do I replace it with, I not going with a faster drive as the 7200rpm drives are good enough for me.

I currently have the the following
C: 80gig
D: 320gig game and program drive
E: 320 gig data drive and games also
USB drive 1TB data and backup only

I am using win 7 64 bit and with only the O/S and a few programs that do not let you choose the drive to install in I have about 36 gig free at the moment on that drive

I think thats all of the information that is needed

Kaleun1961
04-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Do you have a small local PC repair shop nearby? The reason I ask is because that is your best bet, other than going online or eBay, to buy a "pre-owned" hard drive. It would be a waste to buy a new hard drive if all you really need is a small hard drive. My local shop always has a selection of used drives for sale, as customers upgrade their systems or the shop scavenges parts from older PC's.

If you do find what you are looking for, I would recommend you ensure that your hard drive has a 16MB cache, rather than an 8MB cache. I could explain the technicalities, but let's just say that larger caches better assist the loading or refreshing of files. All other factors being equal, a drive with a 16MB cache will outperform a drive with only 8MB, or even worse, 2MB.

Now for some bad news: those games and applications that are on secondary drives will probably be "broken" when you install the new hard drive. Although the program files are on secondary drives, the installation routines of modern programs means that you must run an installation routine, which adds entries to the registry on your OS drive. Unless you can find some utility which can overcome this. What works best for me is to install my OS and applications on the OS drive and then store data on the secondary drives. Gone are the days of DOS or Windows 3.1, where you could put stuff all over the place and it would work, as long as you properly entered your shortcuts.

The saddest part about your setup is that your larger drives are most likely your best performance drives. I'd bet your 1TB drive has a 32MB or 64MB cache, which would make it a good drive for your OS. I would try not to get hung up on the idea of having a small hard drive for your OS, unless you splurge for one of those high performance 10,000 RPM Raptor drives. You may want to think about these factors and reconsider your hard drive deployment strategy.

Celeon999
04-15-2010, 11:59 AM
I usually advice to use a rather small hardrive as C: and only put windows and all of its programs on it.

So i would go for the 80 GB although 40 would be enough as well. Depends on what the smallest is you get by now. Do they still sell smaller than 40 GB ?

All your other stuff like games, videos, pictures and so on should go to one or more seperate HDs which can have as much partitions as you like.

I use a 80 GB as C: (one single partition) and my Windows 7 32-bit with programs uses only 11 GB of it at the moment.

I do not expect to see it ever be filled more than 50%. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

cwhense
04-15-2010, 01:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaleun1961:

The saddest part about your setup is that your larger drives are most likely your best performance drives. I'd bet your 1TB drive has a 32MB or 64MB cache, which would make it a good drive for your OS. I would try not to get hung up on the idea of having a small hard drive for your OS, unless you splurge for one of those high performance 10,000 RPM Raptor drives. You may want to think about these factors and reconsider your hard drive deployment strategy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well like I stated I not thinking of going with a higher speed drive, to costly nit price is not really a factor in replacement.

I have a image of the O/S and a repair disk made up so I shouldn't have to reinstall the programs

and for Celeon I am already above the 40gig mark now on the 80 gig drive right now and both of my 320 gig drives are about 50% and the usb drive is about 60 to 70% full. lots of trash on there I need to sort out someday.