PDA

View Full Version : what is the best dogfighting plane & loadout in the game

Daytraders
03-25-2006, 11:48 AM
what is the best dogfighting plane & loadout in the game we both have PF merged install so we both have all planes to chouse from , when ever i play my mate 1 v 1 he always uses the 109 and keeps shooting me down without a problem i use the hurricane with default loadout is there something else i should fly or use a certain loadout ?, would be great if you could list your top 3 and there loadouts for me. thx guys

Nimits
03-25-2006, 11:56 AM
If you're going against a BF-109, use a Spit (Spitfire V vs early Bf-109s, Spitfire IX vs mid war and late war Bf-109s). Hurricanes are at a disadvantage against 109s (though they should be similar in a turning fight).

Zeus-cat
03-25-2006, 12:06 PM
If you don't care about realism, you could both fly the same plane.

jalopi
03-25-2006, 12:39 PM
try Ki-84a or b. good speed and firepower(b with a bit more firepower) and turning should be close to the same

VW-IceFire
03-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Daytraders:
what is the best dogfighting plane & loadout in the game we both have PF merged install so we both have all planes to chouse from , when ever i play my mate 1 v 1 he always uses the 109 and keeps shooting me down without a problem i use the hurricane with default loadout is there something else i should fly or use a certain loadout ?, would be great if you could list your top 3 and there loadouts for me. thx guys
Which 109 version is he flying? The Hurricane Mark IIB is barely a match for the 109E-4.

If its a 109K-4 or something like that...the best dogfighter to deal with that is probably going to be the Spitfire IX +25lb boost version, the La-7, or the Yak-3.

Papa_K
03-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Probably would help to look at "Hardball's Aircraft Viewer" - a quick search ought to turn that up for you. (I believe the latest version is 4.04.)

To answer your basic question really depends on the year-group, the theater, and your intended use.

If you wanted the best turning aircraft, or the fastest, best climber, best weapons, best all-arounder, etc. - each may point to a different aircraft - a question of "style" sometimes, or just personal preference.

Papa_K

tigertalon
03-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Versus any 109 id go with teh new 25lb spit (or yak3 in case 109 is not K).

Keep in mind however, that 109s are one of best dogfighters/duelers in sim. Fast, nimble, excellent climbers, while hurricane is a nice plane, but hopelesly outclassed by almost anything else in PF.

SnapdLikeAMutha
03-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Ki-43

Daytraders
03-25-2006, 09:08 PM
as usual great replys guys thx, so the planes you listed i would just use the default loadout correct ? and the new spit you are talking about is that the MK5C ?, i only been playing proper like 2 weeks so i dont really know what plane is new and what aint. thx

Papa_K
03-25-2006, 10:39 PM
The latest Spit, from the last patch, is the MkIX(25lbs) - I forget the exact listing in the game, but look for that info.

Remember to go with 50% fuel. (On most dogfight maps, that will be plenty.)

"Hardball's Aircraft Viewer" is available at this link:
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb....topic;f=144;t=003675 (http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=144;t=003675)

(If your friend's been playing a while, he'll probably still kill you most of the time, for a while, no matter what aircraft you pick.)

Papa_K

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-27-2006, 06:50 AM
While not my favorite ride, I still think the best pure-dogfighter in the game is the Yak-3.

TB

HayateAce
03-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Until Oleg decides to get real, the 109G2 will continue to defy gravity and remain the most overblown UFO in the game. This stupid thing is truly one of the last remaining complete UFOs since the poundage was added to the LaGG.

lairdperkins
03-27-2006, 02:38 PM
While there's nothing quite like shooting people down with an I-15... for a realistic chance the Ki-43 is the best turnfighter. It'll turn inside anything short of an Extra 300~

Scen
03-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by HayateAce:
Until Oleg decides to get real, the 109G2 will continue to defy gravity and remain the most overblown UFO in the game. This stupid thing is truly one of the last remaining complete UFOs since the poundage was added to the LaGG.

LOL

Same can be said about the Spit MkV(4c)... I can fly circles around a G2 any day.

FastDriver74
03-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Most of you will think this to be insane but taking down 109's is very simple......in an F4U1D or 1C. Vertical fighting with them bleeds the 109's of speed rapidly. Most pilots love to go straight up, but if they don't carry enough into the zoom, the F4U will catch them. as the 109 begins to tip down and stall to point toward you, you should have plenty of time to line up a nice stern to nose shot.

The situation has to be analyzed though and sometimes this manever will place you in a bad position. However if you attempt to turn with the 109 or he begins to do a spiral dive, he is a dead man. The F4U can pull inside the 109 in a spiral dive and in the 1C if you pull enough lead (lead pursuit) you will really ruin his day when you open up.

The most important thing in any fight is to know your plane's strengths and weaknesses as well as your opponents. Good fighter pilots manuever their plane so as to outwit the enemy and to make the enemy do exactly what they want them to. Make him play your game and he probably will. Open fire when he makes that one move you've been waiting for.

Flight models are never perfect but we all play the same game and are thus on the same page. Every plane will go down be assured and every plane has it's weaknesses. If he is flying a dryer and you are flying a washing machine, manuever your washing machine to destroy his dryer. Flight model excuses are just not valid in my book.

WOLFMondo
03-28-2006, 02:28 AM
IMHO the best fighter aircraft in this sim is the FW190 D9. Followed closely by the Spitfire IX 25lbs. The Spitfire VIII is also pretty good. 109G6/AS is also a nice dogfighter, the Mustang MkIII ain't bad either. Some of the mid war A6M's are also nice dogfighters but against a BF109 all it will take is one hit from that Mg151 or Mk108 to pop that little Zero.

BAG.LordDante
03-28-2006, 03:51 AM
If u have the disciplin, then its the FW 190 D9
Always my choice ! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

WOLFMondo
03-28-2006, 05:23 AM
The Dora is the typical dogfighter, in the right hands though its a really very good one on one plane.

If your taking the fight very high then the P47D is also very good, certainly a match for any BF109 at 25,000ft+