PDA

View Full Version : AC:B Computer Freeze and Crash

ShacoJester
03-19-2011, 01:33 PM
I play AC:B for a while and after about 20-30 minutes the game freezes and the last sound is repeated and forces me to restart my PC
I use Intel quad core processor 2.66Ghz
Nvidia geforce GTX 260
i use dual monitors ( i have tried disabling this though) And i have updated all of my drivers the problem still persists it's happened about 8 times today and i can't find a single fix for this at all, i've tried installing older graphic drivers but it still happens and i've ran out of ideas can anyone help? Thanks.

KingDaniel0
03-19-2011, 01:52 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try to disable and turn OFF Multisampling and VSync, at the game's Graphics options. Do you crash in SP or MP ? This could be a SOUND card issue. Try to disable any HD audio device.

Have you also tried running/playing the game On 2 CPU cores, or even 1 core (depending on your processor i.e. Quad CPU, i7 etc.) ? Not sure if this can solve your problem, but there is no harm in trying it. What is the exact Model of your CPU ?

After you have loaded the Game's Main Menu, Open Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL/CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) and Click on the Processes Tab. On the Processes tab, at the bottom click on the 'Show processes from all users' Button. Now Right click the process i.e. ACBSP.exe, and Click on the 'Set Affinity' option, and then 'Uncheck' any 2 boxes labelled as CPU 0, CPU 1 etc., and click on the OK button. But first Launch the game and then press 'ALT-TAB' to go back to the desktop, and now open the Task Manager, and follow the above method. Press 'ALT-TAB' to go back to the game. You can also check the CPU usage after playing the game for a while. By any chance, is your GPU showing any signs of Overheating, after 30 minutes ?

Just make sure to run the process i.e. ACBSP.exe, with any 2 cores of the CPU. Or Uncheck any 3 boxes, to play the game on a Single CPU core. Btw, does the game fully utilize all the CPU cores ??

Another method: Insert the following command inside the Target line at the game's Shortcut TAB. Make a Shortcut of the game's .EXE and insert the following command (Right-click---->Go to properties---->Shortcut TAB):

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start /HIGH /affinity 3 ACBSP.exe

This will allow the game to run on High priority, and only on 2 CPU cores. You can also Lower the process priority if needed.

I don't suggest giving the Process, a Higher Priority under Windows 7, because of better Memory Utilization. You can also use this tool for setting the CPU affinity/priority:

http://edgemeal.110mb.com/PriFinitty/index.htm

As a side note, try launching the game under 'Windows XP SP2 Compatibility Mode', and see if this makes any in-game difference or not ? This can be easily done under Windows 7/Vista.

Try to close every other Background process while gaming, and if by any chance you have 'ASUS GamerOSD', and/or SmartDoctor installed, then kindly remove it. It has known to create a Lag with some of the PC titles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windrius
03-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Does this happen in multiplayer or singleplayer?
If in multiplayer, what sound card do you have?

ShacoJester
03-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply. I had already tried turning off some of the graphic options in game but it kept crashing the processor it Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs) from my dxdiag i will try running it on fewer cores but have also tried setting the priority to high and realtime but both crash. I will also try running in XP SP2 mode also i don't know if i played Multiplayer longer but these crashes are on the multiplayer and not the singleplayer, as i have managed to play singleplayer for a while without crashing but when i switch to multiplayer i get about 20-30 mins again. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, also i don't think my GPU is over heating but i'll check that and the CPU usage whilst playing it next. I'll try a few of these methods and get back to you, thanks

Windrius
03-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ShacoJester:
but these crashes are on the multiplayer and not the singleplayer, as i have managed to play singleplayer for a while without crashing but when i switch to multiplayer i get about 20-30 mins again. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

YES IT DOES!
I'm gonna guess you have an on-board sound card (prolly realtek?) huh?
Well you need a new sound card else you will just keep crashing.
It's actually caused by punkbuster(AC:B multiplayer anti-chaet).
Alot of games have the same issue.
I found a really old realtek driver, but not sure if it works because I can't connect to multiplayer all day.

ShacoJester
03-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Yes this does seem to be in multiplayer my dxdiag reads:
Name: Speakers (High definition Audio Device)
HArdware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBS
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Default Device: Yes

just a side note i also have 2 other sound tabs showing different names of: Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)

The drivers are Hdaudio.sys
Version: 6.01.7600.16385 (english)
Date: 14/07/2009 00:07:00
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Provider: Microsoft

I know that the drivers are incredibly old but i've scanned for updates and found nothing, does anyone have a site where i can manual update these?

jelf22
03-28-2011, 09:53 PM
I have exactly the same problem.
The freezing only happens in multiplayer but not singleplayer.
And I'm using an onboard sound card as well.
But I thought my HD4850 has built in sound card in it?
Anyway is there a way to solve this problem?

jelf22
03-28-2011, 09:55 PM
And as a side note.
The ACB MP will freeze the computer even when it's in background.
I happen to open ACB MP but alt-tabbed to do something else. And after a while the computer freezes.

OsontheUnsound
03-29-2011, 01:36 AM
I'm having the same sort of problem, but in single player. I have a AMD Phenom II X4 810 processor, a SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card, an ATi HD 4870, and Windows 7 64-bit, which I installed a month ago. It said it got the most up-to-date drivers for me, but I considered maybe installing them manually.

Basically I'm at my limit. It's crashed about 30 times, same as the guy who started this thread, and today it crashed while saving, and my save file got corrupted. Now I have to start over, which doesn't bother me because I love the game, but this is a game-breaking crash. I need help please!!!

Acherrum
03-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by OsontheUnsound:
I'm having the same sort of problem, but in single player. I have a AMD Phenom II X4 810 processor, a SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card, an ATi HD 4870, and Windows 7 64-bit, which I installed a month ago. It said it got the most up-to-date drivers for me, but I considered maybe installing them manually.

Basically I'm at my limit. It's crashed about 30 times, same as the guy who started this thread, and today it crashed while saving, and my save file got corrupted. Now I have to start over, which doesn't bother me because I love the game, but this is a game-breaking crash. I need help please!!!

So this is single player, right?
Because the OP is talking about multiplayer freezing. You got enough RAM in your machine?

And to the OP: I have the same problem, however, compatibility set to WinXP SP2 kinda stabilized it a bit for me. And I played a few games without freezing/crashing yesterday - for me it only happens in session, never in the menu. I also made sure I had the latest Catalyst CC installed (11.2 was released february 15th, which included a driver update)
I hope that actually did fix it for me, but I can't be sure.
If you wanna try everything, I suggest looking for the realtek R258 driver, I heard for some people it fixed their problems. Although, the fix hasn't been consistant with everyone who tried it...

jelf22
03-29-2011, 04:45 AM
I tried to use my Razer Megalodon instead.
It's a USB headphone with soundcard inside.
The game is fine now. I've played for a few hours and no freezes.

Xercitus
03-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Same here, i disabled my ati sound card driver and now it works fine.

is there any other way to use a different sound card or something, i updated mine but it still doesnt work!

Acherrum
03-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Xercitus:
Same here, i disabled my ati sound card driver and now it works fine.

is there any other way to use a different sound card or something, i updated mine but it still doesnt work!

Yes, one of the suggestions from support was to buy a new soundcard :S

Xercitus
03-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by faidh:
Yes, one of the suggestions from support was to buy a new soundcard :S

As useful as that is, ive got a laptop, and im not going to spend more money because someone didnt do their job right.

On the other hand, ive been playing it without the sound (disabled sound driver) and its been working fine!

PWR87
03-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Yeah I have the same problem, and I see that every day people open new topics about this problem.
This means it's a lot of people's problem.
I paid 50$ for this game, and I cant play it beacuse of some lazy programmers.

This is outrageous.

I could play on non-ranked server, but nobody plays it... If I try to connect, it's just "waiting for other abstergo agents 1/6" And ranked game starts in a couple os seconds.

So we're ****ed, and that's it? PB says to buy a new sound card and they dont give a ****?

I cant believe this is happening in 2011...

(Sorry I had to write this..)

mmdore
03-29-2011, 10:22 AM
OK people heres a fix that worked for me, go to your playback devices and disable the high definition audio (speakers), and use headphones or other speakers, ive been trying to find a mp game 2 hours without a freeze(da** u port 1000), hope this helps and unfortunately i doubt there ll be a patch for that since thats not ubi problem but realtek and pb.

BTW when you plug whatever your gonna use on the headphone jack make sure to set it as default on the playback devices if you dont have sound, also usb headphones and speakers work too i tried with logitech g930

OsontheUnsound
03-29-2011, 11:22 AM
I agree, PowerSlave. I have tons of other games that work fine with my system, but what, nobody will fix their broken game now? Last time I checked, SB Audigy 2 was a good sound card. I'm really annoyed about this and want a damn fix that doesn't involve me dropping another wad of cash on a new sound card.

Hey Ubi FIX YOUR DAMN GAME

Oh, and the sound device fix isn't working in SP, I've had those disabled from day one, the only thing that's working is the Audigy 2. And mmdore, you say it's not Ubisoft's fault? When you're the only one with a problem and everyone's pointing the finger at you, do you go and say it's everyone else's problem? This is the only game I've seen this in, so that sounds like it's Ubisoft's problem. F***ing unprofessional to have the only fix be "buy a new sound card, and PRAY".

mmdore
03-29-2011, 11:48 AM
osontheunsound i didnt mean it was everyones elses problem, but the issue has been there for a lot of time but your right ubi did have fault by using pb, but i dont think we can expect a fix for that. ive been suffering the issue with bad company 2 and they never fixed it, so its on our shoulders to help each other with possible fixs or try anything (i know that sucks since we all paid for the *** game thinking that a 4 month later console port would be working fine).

OsontheUnsound
03-29-2011, 12:20 PM
@mmdore

So, all the solutions I've seen have been for Multiplayer, and the Singleplayer solutions seem dubious at best. Anyone having success trying the SP solutions? Because I've not had a problem in MP, oddly enough. As I said, I have my audio devices disabled except for my sound card, so it seems like that solution works, but I'm not seeing a surefire solution for SP yet. Any successes out there?

PWR87
03-29-2011, 02:33 PM
@mmdore

Hmm, how can i create a "headphone" on the playback device list?
I do have a headphone, but it"s listed as speakers.
My playback device list looks like this:

- Digital sound(HDMI) there are four of them.
- Speakers. This is default
- Digital Output(RCA+Optical)
- Realtek Digital Output

Thanks 4 your help!

mmdore
03-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by PowerSlave87:
@mmdore

Hmm, how can i create a "headphone" on the playback device list?
I do have a headphone, but it"s listed as speakers.
My playback device list looks like this:

- Digital sound(HDMI) there are four of them.
- Speakers. This is default
- Digital Output(RCA+Optical)
- Realtek Digital Output

Thanks 4 your help!

well in my case i didnt create it i disabled the main one and when i plug my external cheap a%^ speakers it detects them as headphones but try with your external ones to see if you keep getting freezes

PWR87
03-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Okay I plugged my headphone to the front jack-in, but somehow my PC doesnt detect it.

In control panel/sound appears the headphone tough, when I enable the front panel in Realtek HD Audio manager.

I'll investigate it.

P.S.: If everything goes wrong... What soundcard do you guys recommend to buy..? :S

Acherrum
03-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Pfft, one of these freezes during the loading screen totally fried my game or something.
I re-installed, and it still doesn't work. Crashes upon starting, even the ACBSP.exe :S
Launcher > Play > Crash, every time. Tried rebooting, running sysscan, dunno what else to try... F****** punkbuster/realtek/ubi whatever!

Originally posted by PowerSlave87:
Okay I plugged my headphone to the front jack-in, but somehow my PC doesnt detect it.

In control panel/sound appears the headphone tough, when I enable the front panel in Realtek HD Audio manager.

I'll investigate it.

P.S.: If everything goes wrong... What soundcard do you guys recommend to buy..? :S

Doesn't matter, it's still the same chipset that's doing the work. Punkbuster and realtek don't mix... Basically, buy any cheap 5.1 card, I guess...