PDA

View Full Version : System Specifications for Upcoming B.O.B.

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Has there been any hint from the developer with regards to the specifications needed to play B.O.B. with acceptable framerates?

I presently have a P4 2.8Ghz processor with 1GB RDRAM and a ATI 9700 card with 128MB video RAM. I can play IL-2FB on Perfect Mode, but due to less than ideal framerates I prefer to play it on Excellent using Hunter82's ATI settings.

In another year I can't see the hardware being that much different then now. Might need a better video card (and a ATI card that works fully with the game!). Or do you think that this upcoming game/industry going to be radically different?

Regards

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." Sir Winston Churchill

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Has there been any hint from the developer with regards to the specifications needed to play B.O.B. with acceptable framerates?

I presently have a P4 2.8Ghz processor with 1GB RDRAM and a ATI 9700 card with 128MB video RAM. I can play IL-2FB on Perfect Mode, but due to less than ideal framerates I prefer to play it on Excellent using Hunter82's ATI settings.

In another year I can't see the hardware being that much different then now. Might need a better video card (and a ATI card that works fully with the game!). Or do you think that this upcoming game/industry going to be radically different?

Regards

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." Sir Winston Churchill

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 05:37 PM
Well, a lot of new things are starting to appear and new things are in the pipeline like Serial ATA, PCI Express and 64bit computing.

So in 2005 it will be different then now I guess.

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 05:50 PM
What are you crying about /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif ?? I have an Athlon XP-2100, and my rig is hotter than many people here too!! My processor speed is only 1733Mhz, 1 gig less than yours!!
There are people playing FB on 800Mhz machines ya know. Of course I hope to have a AMD 64 FX machine by then. But I am unemployed now so I'd better get a job first, huh!

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1755

Message Edited on 11/26/0304:51PM by mortoma

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 08:28 PM
I certainly hope that Oleg and crew are writing the code to take advantage of 64 bit processing as well as pci express video.

BoB is over a year away and there may be stuff that appears that are not even on the horizon yet.

I fully expect to have to have a totally new system for BoB.(to be at the top of the line)

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 08:52 PM
There's no real way to tell.

My guess:
(Recommended)
Athlon or Pentium 3 GHz
1.5 GB HD Space
1GB Ram
DirectX 10 Compatible Card (yes it will be out by then)
nVIDIA or ATI
Surround Sound 5.1 Digital Sound Card
Red Hook Winterhook Seasonal Beer
Alicia Silverstone Buck Naked Sitting on my... ...lap.

No?

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Yes, I would imagine Athalon64.

I hope all the reviewers are right and Athalon64 can run 32bit stuff like, say, FB maybe.

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 10:13 PM
LEXX_Luthor wrote:
- Yes, I would imagine Athalon64.
-
- I hope all the reviewers are right and Athalon64 can
- run 32bit stuff like, say, FB maybe.
-
-

Trust me, it can.... It's smooth as silk ;-)

Athlon64 3200+
1 Gb 400 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (modified 3.9)
Sblive
1280x960 2xAA Perfect settings.

Mark

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 11:44 PM
The (overrated) Athlon 64 will be old news when BOB is released. By then Intel will have released their 64-bit chip and they and Microsoft will control things like they always have. In short the Althon 64 is a great chip (way overpriced though) when compared to other 32-bit chips. When the Pentium 64 is released you will all see how 64-bit is supposed to be done. Once Intel switches over to 64-bit the whole software industry will follow. My guess is that the system specs will look like this:

Pentium 4 3.0 ghz or faster cpu (recommened Pentium 64 or Athlon 64 bit cpus)
DirectX 10 compatitble video card with 128mb of video memory (256 or better recommened)
1 gigabyte of memory
3 gigs of HDD drive space

XyZspineZyX
11-27-2003, 02:45 AM
In the BoB sound thread Oleg replied indicating that to run BoB you would need a system that plays FB with good fps in perfect mode.

XyZspineZyX
11-27-2003, 03:45 AM
Knowing that there are a lot of il-2 supporters out there
that will not be able to afford to spend maybe in excess of $2000-00 to upgrade their systems I think that although provision will be made to accomodate the high end specs that Oleg sees as being available in 2005, the current middle of the road pc's ( 2g hz ) will still be able to run
B o B, if not then Ubi will find that the projected sales
for B o B will not be met. This situation would not be good
for any of us ( Ubi, Oleg, or the very supportive community)

RickRuski

XyZspineZyX
11-27-2003, 09:49 AM
I have both IL-2 and FB running fine for me- on a low end sys.( p-3 900mz, 16 meg nvidia vanta.) At 800x600 res it really is not that bad a compromise for the GREAT GAME PLAY ! I really take my hat off to the 1C Team for realizing
that REVERSE COMPATABILITY with older gear is the way to go-
and hope that future product designs could continue to incorporate the philosophy of 'something for everyone'...
Consistantly reaching the highest number of consumers and keeping them satisfied is the way to make profits- Software that REQUIRES the most 'exotic' hardware to run will probably be a rather poor seller...

P.S. I am not suggesting that things be 'dumbed down'- just that incorporating as many hardware compatability options as possible will reach more customers... and further the fine reputation of 1C Maddox and team.

XyZspineZyX
11-27-2003, 11:31 AM
" excess of $2000-00 to upgrade their systems "

I think cost is more and more a non issue.

First computer I got was $1500 over two years ago that could play FB well only on low settings, recently upgraded with whole new system for $1000 and it is about 150% of the performance of the old and plays FB with high settings (though not perfect). My current system is very unlikely to run BoB with playable FPS on anything above low/medium. By the time BoB is out I expect I will be able to get a system that runs it well on medium/high settings for about $750.

XyZspineZyX
11-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Fillmore replied that he can upgrade his system far cheaper
than $2000-00 but we in the Australasian area do not have the luxury of the monetary value of the US, dollar the English Pound, or the Euro,here are some of the cheapest prices I could find in New Zealand. All prices are expressed
in NZ dollars

Athlon 64 FX51 cpu $1500-00
Mother/b athlon 64 $360-00
Ram pc4000 DDR 1G. $652-00
Radeon 9800 Pro $937-00
Audigy S/C $400-00
H/D drive 80G. $180-00

total $4129-00

Not a very happy thought for il-2 suppoters in this part of the world if we are looking at a complete up grade

RickRuski

XyZspineZyX
11-27-2003, 10:13 PM
MackTheGovnah22 wrote:
- The (overrated) Athlon 64 will be old news when BOB
- is released. By then Intel will have released their
- 64-bit chip and they and Microsoft will control
- things like they always have. In short the Althon 64
- is a great chip (way overpriced though) when
- compared to other 32-bit chips. When the Pentium 64
- is released you will all see how 64-bit is supposed
- to be done. Once Intel switches over to 64-bit the
- whole software industry will follow. My guess is
- that the system specs will look like this:
-
- Pentium 4 3.0 ghz or faster cpu (recommened Pentium
- 64 or Athlon 64 bit cpus)
- DirectX 10 compatitble video card with 128mb of
- video memory (256 or better recommened)
- 1 gigabyte of memory
- 3 gigs of HDD drive space
-
-
-
-
It's always nice to see an unbiased Intel supporter.... ;-) I like this sentence: "When the Pentium 64 is released you will all see how 64-bit is supposed to be done." I think I will send this line to AMD and advise them to use it in their AMD64 advertising campaign ;-)

Do you work for Intel?

Mark

XyZspineZyX
11-27-2003, 10:20 PM
For the flight sim genre I dont see any huge improvements that would require people to upgrade much more then what they have now, that is if they play FB smoothly with quality settings. As for others games...well you have the new Doom engine, HalfLife 2 engine, and the full Unreal Warfare engine hitting full scale this summer. Many other publishers/developers will get the license for those engines. I see most being used for first person shooters/action games IMO.
=S=

http://www.fritzliess.com/movabletype/archives/images/warbirds.jpg