PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Steam?

Freelancer-1
05-02-2006, 07:38 AM
If Ubi wants to go with a third party downloader why not work out something with Steam.

Steam, while not perfect is the best there is at the moment. Relatively safe, secure and fairly immune to cracking. As programs by download are the way distribution will be handled in the future, I would suggest that Ubi does it right from the begining. None of the panic that accompanied this release would have have happened had Ubi gone through a trusted source like steam. (Still plenty of whining, though more about D/L in general that the PITA Boonty ****e)

I prefer to purchase online, but seriously, it needs to be smooth and hassle free. Steam has a proven track record and has slowly earned the respect of the gaming communnity at large. I wouldn't think twice about buying through steam as I'm sure the tens of thousands of other users of games like Counter Strike and Halflife don't.

I looks to me, after seeing PE-2 cracked in literally hours after release, that it would really be in Ubis best interest, financially, to spend the extra pennies up front and go with a proven company with a large customer base that may actually expose an obscure little flight sim to more potential customers.

Is there a flaw in my thinking, here?

Or does this make sense?

Freelancer-1
05-02-2006, 07:38 AM
If Ubi wants to go with a third party downloader why not work out something with Steam.

Steam, while not perfect is the best there is at the moment. Relatively safe, secure and fairly immune to cracking. As programs by download are the way distribution will be handled in the future, I would suggest that Ubi does it right from the begining. None of the panic that accompanied this release would have have happened had Ubi gone through a trusted source like steam. (Still plenty of whining, though more about D/L in general that the PITA Boonty ****e)

I prefer to purchase online, but seriously, it needs to be smooth and hassle free. Steam has a proven track record and has slowly earned the respect of the gaming communnity at large. I wouldn't think twice about buying through steam as I'm sure the tens of thousands of other users of games like Counter Strike and Halflife don't.

I looks to me, after seeing PE-2 cracked in literally hours after release, that it would really be in Ubis best interest, financially, to spend the extra pennies up front and go with a proven company with a large customer base that may actually expose an obscure little flight sim to more potential customers.

Is there a flaw in my thinking, here?

Or does this make sense?

Lil-Pup
05-02-2006, 07:43 AM
No way, that would suck. At least with Boontybox (in this instance anyway) you can uninstall it the second you've got your download. Steam is bloatware at its very worst.

AWL_Spinner
05-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Agree with Lil-Pup.

We may have to do it manually, but at least you can clean Boonty off your system without too much trouble.

Basic pre-requisite of any secure delivery system I'll use:

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">After your purchase is delivered, the delivery mechanism itself should leave no permanent footprint on your system (be it background service, run-time startup, etc)</span>.

danjama
05-02-2006, 07:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AWL_Spinner:
Agree with Lil-Pup.

We may have to do it manually, but at least you can clean Boonty off your system without too much trouble.

Basic pre-requisite of any secure delivery system I'll use:

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">After your purchase is delivered, the delivery mechanism itself should leave no permanent footprint on your system (be it background service, run-time startup, etc)</span>. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But the point is, that if the direction Ubi wanted to go with PE2 onwards, so why not with a well known source like Steam? And as the original poster says, online buying is the way of the future so why not get it right from the start.....

think about it.

AWL_Spinner
05-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Agree totally that a mutually acceptable method of delivery is required, no point in alienating your customers but yes, online is going to be a preferred method going forward for distributors.

I confess I don't know much about Steam as I've not used it. As long as it doesn't install itself as a Windows service or insist it be running for you to play the game, it sounds good.

I have absolutely no objection to online purchasing, but the end user must be able to backup the download for personal use and not have their system occupied by a third party delivery programme to access or play it.

You can run secure validation/unlock without leaving a permanent system footprint, there's no reason for this not to be the case.

danjama
05-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, i use Steam and i've never seen a problem with it. In fact, its the opposite. The news section is there to keep you up to date of addons etc, free downloads/updates take place automatically when you log in and there is a friends system to add all of your friends (addmittedly this has had its problems). This could be the way of the future for il2, assuming that HL won't be around forever. BUT we do have to remember Steam is online games only. Il2 series is also for offline, so it would be difficult for offliners to get their updates through a steam system and a workaround would need to be invented for those people. Of course there will be many issues i imagine, but in theory a Steam like system would be nice.

csThor
05-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Erm ... probably because STEAM belongs to one of Ubisoft's competitors? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Freelancer-1
05-02-2006, 10:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
Well, i use Steam and i've never seen a problem with it. In fact, its the opposite. The news section is there to keep you up to date of addons etc, free downloads/updates take place automatically when you log in and there is a friends system to add all of your friends (addmittedly this has had its problems). This could be the way of the future for il2, assuming that HL won't be around forever. BUT we do have to remember Steam is online games only. Il2 series is also for offline, so it would be difficult for offliners to get their updates through a steam system and a workaround would need to be invented for those people. Of course there will be many issues i imagine, but in theory a Steam like system would be nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although it's not common knowledge, it is entirly possible to play steam games offline. At least with HalfLife2 (the only one I've tried it with). So, in theory, it should be possible to do it with IL2 as well.

Freelancer-1
05-02-2006, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by csThor:
Erm ... probably because STEAM belongs to one of Ubisoft's competitors? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that could be an issue I suppose http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

SeaNorris
05-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Or how about there is none of this Boonty bull****?

danjama
05-02-2006, 10:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freelancer-1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
Well, i use Steam and i've never seen a problem with it. In fact, its the opposite. The news section is there to keep you up to date of addons etc, free downloads/updates take place automatically when you log in and there is a friends system to add all of your friends (addmittedly this has had its problems). This could be the way of the future for il2, assuming that HL won't be around forever. BUT we do have to remember Steam is online games only. Il2 series is also for offline, so it would be difficult for offliners to get their updates through a steam system and a workaround would need to be invented for those people. Of course there will be many issues i imagine, but in theory a Steam like system would be nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although it's not common knowledge, it is entirly possible to play steam games offline. At least with HalfLife2 (the only one I've tried it with). So, in theory, it should be possible to do it with IL2 as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes offline mode is allowed, but what i was getting at was how would the offliners recieve the auto updates and patches if they were only offered through a Steam like online system.

BTW Thor, for the benefit of you, we can assume Steam to mean Steam-like system from now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Freelancer-1
05-02-2006, 10:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freelancer-1:

Although it's not common knowledge, it is entirly possible to play steam games offline. At least with HalfLife2 (the only one I've tried it with). So, in theory, it should be possible to do it with IL2 as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes offline mode is allowed, but what i was getting at was how would the offliners recieve the auto updates and patches if they were only offered through a Steam like online system.

BTW Thor, for the benefit of you, we can assume Steam to mean Steam-like system from now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not really sure about that one. But if you think about it, ALL patches so far have only been by download (unless you subscribe to PC Pilot). I don't see, really where there is much difference from what the situation is now.

appulluk
05-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Agh Steam, that'd be a sellout. Steam has never worked correctly for me - even though I tell it NOT to update, it does it anyway, even after reformats and reinstalls. Don't wanna patch, just gimme the game! If it was required to use Steam just to update any 1C Maddox games, I would no longer buy any.

Pig_Mac
05-02-2006, 11:30 AM
i only bought a steam game once, and that was just a 'support buy', Ragdoll kung-fu was the game.

I will try to avoid more steam games, not that it caused problems, more that I don't NEED Steam. If I want to read news about a game I read them, if I need patches i download them. I don't need nor want a background running program to tell me what I want to play/download next.

I don't mind at all using an unlock code the first time to run a game, I actually prefer to log in as myself, on my own account on games run online. I guess it's an old habit from the good old UO days. But having a separate program running around in the background in a game as system requiring as IL2 still is (for me) is just not the way to go, Even if it takes almost no resources at all.

The most handy thing With IL2 through the years have been the possibility to move it between your harddrives, and play on as if nothing happened. I hope it was just a temporary error with the reg-check.

(I will not even mention Boontybox, as I tore most of my hair out during release day)

Great addons deserve to be cheered, not cursed for the way they are delivered.

Lazy312
05-02-2006, 11:35 AM
I have Steam because I was silly and bought a game that is wired to it (Red Orchestra Ostfront).

And I can tell you - STEAM SUCKS. On my computer it resists to start when offline. So far Steam Corp. provided no real support. I cannot play a game I bought without an internet connection (ie. offline or on LAN).

Online delivery of software is a great opportunity - terribly spoiled by big companies..

danjama
05-02-2006, 11:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lazy312:
I have Steam because I was silly and bought a game that is wired to it (Red Orchestra Ostfront).

And I can tell you - STEAM SUCKS. On my computer it resists to start when offline. So far Steam Corp. provided no real support. I cannot play a game I bought without an internet connection (ie. offline or on LAN).

Online delivery of software is a great opportunity - terribly spoiled by big companies.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ive never had these issues.

You say you never recieved support but did you look for it? I always found the forums great.

I dont see why so many people on these boards are against Steam like systems. Their convenient for everybody, as long as their well developed.

Xiolablu3
05-02-2006, 12:12 PM
STEAM works great for me too, patching on demand, no searching for patches, worrying if you have the right version.

Also a lot more money gos to the developer if an online delivery system is used. MAybe Oleg should make one of his own.

Thats said, UBI will not use Steam becasue its Valves online delivery system. Maybe they could pay valve to use it, but why bother. They will have to make their own one day (its the way things are going) why not start now&gt;?

If 1C could make even a simple version of a Steam-a-like, they would see much greater profits and would be able to keep UBI out of the process altogther. BUt it would take a lot of resources, time and work.

carguy_
05-02-2006, 12:21 PM
I looks to me, after seeing PE-2 cracked in literally hours after release, that it would really be in Ubis best interest, financially... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Worthy of note:cracked by the tech help. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

danjama
05-02-2006, 12:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carguy_:
I looks to me, after seeing PE-2 cracked in literally hours after release, that it would really be in Ubis best interest, financially... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Worthy of note:cracked by the tech help. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

waffen-79
05-02-2006, 12:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carguy_:

Worthy of note:cracked by the tech help. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Xiolablu3
05-02-2006, 12:42 PM

I looks to me, after seeing PE-2 cracked in literally hours after release, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure about this?

Pig_Mac
05-02-2006, 01:02 PM
..at least it wasn't cracked and released days before a legal buyer could bet their paws on it.
Like it is with most major games nowadays.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

|CoB|_Spectre
05-02-2006, 01:41 PM
So-called "futurists" don't have such a good track record on predictions. About the time Janes did not renew their association with EA, there were many soothsayers in the gaming software publications forecasting the end of the pc game and flight sims in particular. They reasoned it was much more profitable to cater to the console market where compatibility issues based on a near-endless variety of hardware and operating systems were a thing of the past. Think of it...no need for tech support anymore! Then along came little Maddox Games and proved the genre was far from dead and, in fact, most diehard enthusiasts preferred the flexibility of the pc over consoles. The prediction that, in the future, software will be sold via download off the internet remains to be seen. It will be sold in whatever form sells and is judged reliable and secure by prospective buyers. As for using Steam as an example, bear in mind many people who'd enjoyed Half Life passed on HL2 for reasons not entirely unlike the Ubi/Boonty Box experience. As hard as it is for some people accept, not everyone has a fast broadband connection, a credit card, or the desire to do business over the internet. Some of you may think there aren't enough of those people to matter, they aren't "mainstream". That's almost exactly what the predicters of the end of pc games said six or seven years ago.

WWSensei
05-02-2006, 02:06 PM
I have Steam and it is different than Boonty Box. First, it just runs as a normal application and not a service, so when you exit Steam it stops running and doesn't consume resources.

I love the ease of use of patching and also that Steam games don't require CD Keys of CD checks etc. It had some early hiccups in terms of activiation but those have been ironed out. People skipping out on HL2 because of Steam are just missing out on a great game.

Is Steam intrusive? To a point, yes, but it's well documented, easy to uninstall if you want to clean it off and it does allow you to play the single player games offline. It doesn't attempt to hide itself or mislead the user about what it does.

In that sense it is far superior to something like SF because you know ahead of time what Steam does and leaves the choice to the consumer whether to install or not. In my personal case, the benefits offered by Steam exceeded the costs of doing so, but mainly I was able to make that choice before being forced into it.

It's not the best thing since sliced bread, but it does what it does fairly well, doesn't lie about and delivers a decent service. Sadly, that is a pretty big step up in terms of software support and functionality these days.

Da_Godfatha
05-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Steam sucks, plain and simple. When I want to play offwhine, it goes onstrike or starts the net for me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

NerdConnected
05-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Freelancer-1,

Indeed, Steam or 'Steam like' is the way to go. I personally never had any issues with Steam whatsoever, except maybe installing it for the first time because it was all new. After that, never had any issues. It even runs on XP64 and downloading and installing the extra HL2 content was real easy. By now, most bugs have been fixed in Steam and has proven itself as a very good tool for distributing software.

I think UBI should invest big time in a product like this because frankly, they really have no choice. Others will and will profit from lower distribution costs, faster delivery, fewer cracks, better turnover and increased customer value.

UBI is a large company and should have more than enough money to invest in a Steam like product. Using such a product should be their core business.

Frankly, it doesn't matter if it's made by a competitor, the only thing is, it will problably come at a hefty pricetag, but it's worth it I think.

Mark

Lazy312
05-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Steam - ever heard of Zone Alarm Issues for example? Quite a few people were affected. When I contacted Valve support all I got were links to their very basic FAQ. I repeat, their support in my experience is nearly nonexistent.

Automated buying, downloading and patching are convenient features and I like them. However I see no reason why I should be controlled if I may run an application I bought. As I said, I cannot play my game offline and that simply sucks. It's great you don't have this problem but still it doesn't help those who have it.

IMHO it makes no sense pirating a game you can get (download) for 20 Euros as soon as the game is released. But If a cracked version is so much more convenient to use than a legal one..

(BTW I bought 4 copies of Pe-2 addon.)

|CoB|_Spectre
05-02-2006, 07:16 PM
For what it's worth, the old "I've used it and I've never had any problems with it" argument doesn't go very far. While I have no doubt that may be your experience, it is not the universal experience. No, I don't expect everything in life to have a 100% no-hassle guarantee, but where there's smoke, there's fire and who needs the hassle! It's almost like someone saying, "I've been driving 20 years and I've never needed a seatbelt". All I can say is, good for you. I steered away from HL2 because I didn't like the fact that, in the initial release anyway, Valve didn't make it clear that an internet connection was required just to get the bloody game running, even if you had no intentions of playing online. To me, that's being less than honest with your customer and I don't go for that. There's no game that I need that badly. I've got enough to keep me occupied. You make your own decisions.

WTE_Galway
05-02-2006, 07:29 PM
the assumption that every one is going to be pernmanently online with fairly liberal firewall settings to let random stuff in and out, even when playing an offline game, is not a good one

Freelancer-1
05-02-2006, 09:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

I looks to me, after seeing PE-2 cracked in literally hours after release, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure about this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saw the first cracks Sat AM and that's without looking.

Freelancer-1
05-02-2006, 09:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xallo_72:
..at least it wasn't cracked and released days before a legal buyer could bet their paws on it.
Like it is with most major games nowadays.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it was anything other than a rinky-**** little flight sim (I use the term fondly), you can bet there would have been.

Freelancer-1
05-02-2006, 09:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
the assumption that every one is going to be pernmanently online with fairly liberal firewall settings to let random stuff in and out, even when playing an offline game, is not a good one </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really need to get your facts right before making harsh statements like that.

Freelancer-1
05-02-2006, 09:38 PM
For the most part, I see valid points both for and against this idea. Obviously I am leaning toward the pro Steam-like distro. But there are certainly very real concerns raised.

I basically started this thread to get a sense of where we stood on this issue. No grey here, either strongly for or strongly against.

Passion and belief are good as that is how we get things changed. I don't respect people who stand by Idly waiting for something to happen.

I thank all who responded http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

JunkoIfurita
05-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Everyone seems to have missed what I think to be the single BEST advantage of Steam:

That your ownership of and ability to play the game is completely independent of the computer system - the copy protection and ownership is account based.

If I have gone on holiday to Spain and have taken a rental laptop with me, as long as I have my Steam login and a net connection I can get access to my games without needing a CD or key.

No CD to lose or damage, no tying a game down to a particular computer...

U978
05-03-2006, 12:27 AM
I don't like online activation schemes.
Until now, it has shown to be subject to much more problems than classical online CD checks.

And I simply don't like to depend on a third party thing to be able to install and use offline. I know it's really not likely to annoy me for real, but I like the idea to still be able to play my purchased games when game support ended (i.e. when game activation is not available anymore).

I prefer online CD checks.
Online CD checks (each time you connect to a server on Internet) are certainly not the dream copy protection for publishers (no protection for offline gaming) and are not perfect (what is perfect? Not even Starforce was, certainly not), but it makes a good compromise between user-friendliness and its effectiveness.

That's the most important: to find a good compromise between user-friendliness and effectiveness. Becaue anyway, any game protection could be cracked, at this date.

tagTaken2
05-03-2006, 12:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
the assumption that every one is going to be pernmanently online with fairly liberal firewall settings to let random stuff in and out, even when playing an offline game, is not a good one </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

The problem is that these systems, bbox steam, et al, are designed for 'tards. Anybody with even the slightest pc smarts- or common sense- does not want background patching, updating etc.

It took me a whole day, on three different broadband resources to get what I paid for, all due to boontybox.

I'm overjoyed with 4.05, it's a work of art, and my whole experience has improved from 4.03, but after coming back to write something nice about it, and seeing all this again... back to furious. Particularly with the apologists for ubi/boontybox. "It's okay, it's benign, even friendly and helpful..."
I couldn't care less. I DON'T WANT IT. MADDOX GAMES DID NOT WANT IT. I spent a lot of time making sure that my system is clean and tight, and it burns me bad that people can actually recommend bloatware as being "not so bad as starforce". I'm sure that being eaten by shark is quicker than cancer, but I'm not putting my hand up for that reason. Too angry to be coherent, so leaving now.

Wake up.

Dwarden
08-09-2007, 08:39 AM
i still wonder why there are so many STEAM rumours and hate in style 'steam sux' w/o proofs ..

STEAM is normal program, You install / uninstall it, You stop it when You need (except while playing STEAM/VAC covered game in MP)

STEAM deliver goods (games) to 13+ millions users

STEAM joined major publishers like Activision, THQ, SFI, Eidos, Majesco, 2K Games
and even developers like IDsoft and Human Head studios which in fact are 'opponents' in FPS market to Valve http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

STEAM is great way how get games of any age (old back catalogue same like hot new title) to masses for cheap (easy to support by recompiling some binaries)

i'm still waiting for IL-2 serie to appear on STEAM ...

and to these who 'HATE' services like STEAM well there is always option to use normal retail copy

STEAM exclusive ? not anymore multiple games were released in retail, on STEAM, on Direct2Drive, on GameTap, on GamersGate etc.

point of biz is to reach as many customers as possible =&gt; maximal income

Hoatee
08-09-2007, 01:45 PM
I regret to say that Steam was a bad experience for me, too. Purchasing Red Orchestra wasn't a problem. But the service when trying to retrieve a lost copy was nihil - no response whatsoever.

Btw, I'd like to go one record as saying that I have never ever played the game online - ever.

K_Freddie
08-09-2007, 03:58 PM
For those who have problems playing offline with steam....
This is not a crack but a simple file copy..

In your C:\Program Files\Steam folder you'll find the Steam.dll file.
Copy this file and paste it in your game file folder(my example)
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra\System.

Now in this C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra\System folder
you should find the game executable RedOrchestra.exe
Create a shortcut to this on your desktop - the icon will be the same.

---------------------------------------------------------
With online play when you click the original installation icon on your desktop.
This shortcut points to the "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 1200
- Steam.exe file and throws in parameters -applaunch 1200 to launch the game.
Red Orchestra is application number 1200

With offline play - the same shortcut you've just made points to..
"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra\System\RedOrchestra.exe"
but it needs the Steam.dll file in this same folder, as all programs look for DLL extensions
in the application folder (installation dependent) or the default C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.

---------------------------------------------------------
Do this to every steam game and you should be ok
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Edt: added note - I DO NOT LIKE PROGRAMS LIKE STEAM as they can be used to infiltrate your PC.
So the trick is, to have a game computer and another one with private stuff on. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Talamir
08-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Please, no steam!

For those of you who have never had problems, you are one of the lucky FEW. Every single one of my friends and I have had problems with steam since it was released in beta. The forums were and still are choked with people having problems with it all the time.

Plus, I would personally rather have a physical copy of the game in my possession. And would like to not have to start steam to run games.

As for playing offline, unless you turn off your internet (unplug the cable, disable the network adaptor, whatever), you can't. And it literally takes about 10 minutes for steam to realize that there is no internet for it to connect to before it asks to start in offline mode.

If Ubi wanted to do digital downloads from now on, thats fine, just not through steam and not with any of this boontybox stuff.

*edit - Didn't realize the C word for poo was a bad word.

rockgardenlove
08-10-2007, 02:25 AM
Indeed!
No Steam!
Please!