PDA

View Full Version : right out of the mailbox: JUNE ISS CGW GIVES SH3 5 STARS

Bubblehead1948
05-02-2005, 05:22 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Just in case no one has heard this, I am holding the latest issue of CGW, arguably the nations oldest and most respected computer gaming mag. (I've been a subscriber since 1982)
Ahem... In a series of selected game reviews
SH3 was awarded 5 out of 5 stars with these comments: "Silent Hunter III is destined to be a Sim Hall of Fame all-time classic."

I know some of you may have mixed feelings about this, but personally, I'm glad to see it, and I think it is a good call.

Teddy Bar
05-02-2005, 07:13 PM
I am very pleased to see the way that the main stream mags have taken to SHIII and for the good reviews.

Pr0metheus 1962
05-02-2005, 07:31 PM
It's only taken the gaming press two months to figure out that this is the best game of the year. I mean they must have had copies before the public got hold of it in March, yet they failed to get a review out until now (???). I just got PC Gamer today and they rate it at 90% and make it their editor's choice game. That's great, but it would have been far more useful if the review had been available closer to the release date.

Let's face it, the press dropped the ball on this one. I mean the press is supposed to give us 'news'. This news is over six weeks old. That's not 'new' even by 19th century standards. The mail in the Victorian age could have got these 'news' from Europe (where the game was developed) to me here in the US faster than the 21st century electronic gaming press did.

Charlie901
05-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Beeryus:
It's only taken the gaming press two months to figure out that this is the best game of the year. I mean they must have had copies before the public got hold of it in March, yet they failed to get a review out until now (???). I just got PC Gamer today and they rate it at 90% and make it their editor's choice game. That's great, but it would have been far more useful if the review had been available closer to the release date.

Let's face it, the press dropped the ball on this one. I mean the press is supposed to give us 'news'. This news is over six weeks old. That's not 'new' even by 19th century standards. The mail in the Victorian age could have got these 'news' from Europe (where the game was developed) to me here in the US faster than the 21st century electronic gaming press did.

Isn't it funny now that SHIII is such a sales success, the mainstream gaming magazines are NOW jumping on the bandwagon. Sheeezzz! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Bubblehead1948
05-02-2005, 07:48 PM
In fairness, CGW did do a priliminary review on sh3 in their Feb issue. The information was limited, but covered most of the features we are now familiar with. I started focusing on it at that point. They alluded at the time that they had good feelings about it, but it is not clear whether they had a beta in their possession as of that writing.