PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Geforce4 Ti4800 (NOT SE) in the UK

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 08:29 PM
I'm considering upgrading my graphics card and have decided NOT to go the Geforce FX route at the moment. This is because the only FX card worth getting is the 5900 and that is just too expensive. Besides, it won't fit into a mobo in a year or so since Intel is dropping AGP and moving to PCI express. I'm expecting to upgrade to the new Grantsdale chipset mobos with 1GHz FSB in a year and a half to two years.

I have a Granite Bay board so ATI is a no-go there due to known instabilities.

I've therefore decided on getting the best Geforce4 card there is and that is the Ti4800 (marketed in the USA as Ti4600 with 8X AGP). The Ti4800 SE is in fact a Ti4400 with 8X AGP.

I've looked and looked but none of the UK online stores sell a Ti4600 and the only Ti4800 are the SE versions.

Does anyone know of a supplier of the REAL fair-dinckum Ti4800 in the UK???

Alexi

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 08:29 PM
I'm considering upgrading my graphics card and have decided NOT to go the Geforce FX route at the moment. This is because the only FX card worth getting is the 5900 and that is just too expensive. Besides, it won't fit into a mobo in a year or so since Intel is dropping AGP and moving to PCI express. I'm expecting to upgrade to the new Grantsdale chipset mobos with 1GHz FSB in a year and a half to two years.

I have a Granite Bay board so ATI is a no-go there due to known instabilities.

I've therefore decided on getting the best Geforce4 card there is and that is the Ti4800 (marketed in the USA as Ti4600 with 8X AGP). The Ti4800 SE is in fact a Ti4400 with 8X AGP.

I've looked and looked but none of the UK online stores sell a Ti4600 and the only Ti4800 are the SE versions.

Does anyone know of a supplier of the REAL fair-dinckum Ti4800 in the UK???

Alexi

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 08:17 AM
Bump for the morning readership

------------------------------------------
Drug of choice...coffee
=======================

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Try this on Komplett:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&AvdID=1&CatID=24&p=30788&view=detailed

R_R

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 10:02 AM
You could always just get a Ti 4600 and a Thermaltake cooler and OC the bugger. i have a ti 4400 with a Thermaltake copper fan/heatsink/memory heatsink combo, and i "safely" overclocked it to the same core and memoy speeds as a 4600.

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the tip-off rawheid_rex!

Before reading your reply I had found a 'source' of the legit Ti4800 at www.misco.co.uk (http://www.misco.co.uk) and ordered a Gainward, but they e-mailed me a little later to say that it was a discontinued line :-(

However, www.komplett.co.uk (http://www.komplett.co.uk) had the Creative Ti4800 in stock (well it says currently 100+), so I have ordered from them. Currently in "processing" so I hope I don't get any 'rude' e-mails from them with an excuse.....

I know there are lots of arguments about what is the best card, but this will do as a 'stop gap' before the chipsets, CPUs, AGP/PCI Express stuff settles down.

Thanks again,

Alexi

------------------------------------------
Drug of choice...coffee
=======================