PDA

View Full Version : Some observations

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 09:55 AM
1. Could not start a 1941 Finnish fighter campaign, nor error message after selecting to generate it, nothing. 1942 workes fine.

2. Me 262 has hardly any engine drag left once an engine is switched off. Of course the previous version was worse in the opposite, it would be nice if Oleg managed to model single engine power difference in a way that wouldn't destroy no engine power modeling.

3. 109s stiffen up in higher speed handling nicely, but the current trimming model doesn't allow the fast trimming that was possible and done with the 109 trim wheel to change the vert tail angle. Trimming such as it is in FB allows only for balancing the a/c, not to be used as an additional control. In most cases this is correct and I applause the changes from IL-2 to FB, but sometimes it negates a valid option. Issue 2 and 3 seem to be related.

At least I can loop any 109 if the speed isn't too low/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

4. Not with numbers, but I'd like to support those who feel that while the 190 feels little too good in the roll especially at high speed, the P-47 feels unbelievably sluggish in the roll at all speeds, unless you help the roll with a lot of rudder action. Of course its important to make a distinction between high speed rolling and low speed rolling, which many people seem to neglect in their thinking, just as altitude. However to leave the number pushing to those who already produced their case, it would to me seem obvious that its clearly impossible to conduct a good rolling turn against lets say a Fw 190 or Bf 109 to get inside, even at medium and high speeds.

5. Most western a/c seem to loose an engine or even catch fire with a single well aimed fuselage burst, some types like the Mod. 239 now seem to explode very readily (removed armor? Finns?). Not sure if its statistically significant or not, but the Russians still seem to be able to absorb more punishment.

6. Gunfire flashes have been with us for a long time, but they seem more silly as we go along, there has been plenty of proof against their validity, about time we get at least SOME reduction, at least for those a/c who have centerline guns. There are no reports of DAYLIGHT pilots being blinded by their own fire!

7. Although I like the new groundhandling model in general, taxiways seem too rough.

8. Landing light shine, at least in P-47, could be seen above the wing, through its surface. Small issue indeed /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

============

1. Overall like the new FMs

2. AI improved and less cheating in combat

3. Love the new effects, or those I saw for first time, like dust (btw there is also dust while it rains), and water spray and consequent trail which was briliant.

4. A/C once they loose wings seem to make more spectacular spirals

Still a win win situation IMHO, keep up the good work

Ruy "SPADES" Horta
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhorta
-----------------------------
Il-2 - VEF JG 77
'95-02 - WB Jagdgeschwader 53
'99-00 - DoA Jagdstaffel 18
The rest is history...

http:\\www.xs4all.nl\~rhorta\brother.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 09:55 AM
1. Could not start a 1941 Finnish fighter campaign, nor error message after selecting to generate it, nothing. 1942 workes fine.

2. Me 262 has hardly any engine drag left once an engine is switched off. Of course the previous version was worse in the opposite, it would be nice if Oleg managed to model single engine power difference in a way that wouldn't destroy no engine power modeling.

3. 109s stiffen up in higher speed handling nicely, but the current trimming model doesn't allow the fast trimming that was possible and done with the 109 trim wheel to change the vert tail angle. Trimming such as it is in FB allows only for balancing the a/c, not to be used as an additional control. In most cases this is correct and I applause the changes from IL-2 to FB, but sometimes it negates a valid option. Issue 2 and 3 seem to be related.

At least I can loop any 109 if the speed isn't too low/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

4. Not with numbers, but I'd like to support those who feel that while the 190 feels little too good in the roll especially at high speed, the P-47 feels unbelievably sluggish in the roll at all speeds, unless you help the roll with a lot of rudder action. Of course its important to make a distinction between high speed rolling and low speed rolling, which many people seem to neglect in their thinking, just as altitude. However to leave the number pushing to those who already produced their case, it would to me seem obvious that its clearly impossible to conduct a good rolling turn against lets say a Fw 190 or Bf 109 to get inside, even at medium and high speeds.

5. Most western a/c seem to loose an engine or even catch fire with a single well aimed fuselage burst, some types like the Mod. 239 now seem to explode very readily (removed armor? Finns?). Not sure if its statistically significant or not, but the Russians still seem to be able to absorb more punishment.

6. Gunfire flashes have been with us for a long time, but they seem more silly as we go along, there has been plenty of proof against their validity, about time we get at least SOME reduction, at least for those a/c who have centerline guns. There are no reports of DAYLIGHT pilots being blinded by their own fire!

7. Although I like the new groundhandling model in general, taxiways seem too rough.

8. Landing light shine, at least in P-47, could be seen above the wing, through its surface. Small issue indeed /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

============

1. Overall like the new FMs

2. AI improved and less cheating in combat

3. Love the new effects, or those I saw for first time, like dust (btw there is also dust while it rains), and water spray and consequent trail which was briliant.

4. A/C once they loose wings seem to make more spectacular spirals

Still a win win situation IMHO, keep up the good work

Ruy "SPADES" Horta
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhorta
Il-2 - VEF JG 77
'95-02 - WB Jagdgeschwader 53
'99-00 - DoA Jagdstaffel 18
The rest is history...

http:\\www.xs4all.nl\~rhorta\brother.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 10:03 AM
pretty much everything stated there seems well put... i noticed one error though, where the shadow of a smoke billow actually shot up into the clouds (instead of shining on the ground of course).

Also... i don't know why this wasn't changed, because clearly the MK 108 was... but i dont see how a P-39 (not known for it's durability...) can soak up 4 consecutive MK 108's, and still fly on.. i know it's been said, but come on, that could NOT happen, period... and as for the P-47... i realise that it's strong, but if a B-17 takes roughly 6 or 7 to down, how in the world can a P-47 withstand 10 MK 108's, and still fly?