PDA

View Full Version : Saitek X52

249th_Maico
12-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Its the last day of the week and a phone call alerts me to a new package. Was I ever surprised. The new X52 was preordered for over a month and is finnally here.
That night I spent a few agonizing minutes trying to get through the box. This thing is really well packaged. Like the X45 a bunch of styrofoam ensured even my APO rough guys did not break it. You may think this is silly but to a guy like me (8000 miles away from the western world) this is a BIG plus.
Out comes the shiny beautifull new design. It is a real joy to look at and hold. Yes that is real aluminum. Yes, it does feel solid. No, I would not let a 5 year old play with it. While feeling quite solid, it is no Cougar. The feel of quality is about on par with the X45 if not a bit better. Darn well worth the 129 US dollars I paid. The next few days passed and I worried how much change I would have to do going from the old stick to the new one. Finnally I decided to go for broke. New software had to be installed in order to bring the X52 online. I actually used the software and programmed a bunch of new commands. Disregarding the conservative programing I had done before I pushed ahead with lots of programing on all three modes. This thing is unbeleivable! I got more commands than I can remember. I write them on Excell then post them on my monitor. Within days, I dont need my cheat sheet anymore.
So enough about this nonsence. HOW does it perform? First off let me say that the rough tension of the X45 is gone. This stick has a much nicer feel. Inspite of the fact that it looks the same as its predecesor where the stick joins the base. It does not feel the same by a long shot. This one is much smoother. Gone is the awkared Rudder also. A much more conventional twist grip has been added. I tried flying with it for about two hours and it was great. Then I put everything back on the left. The stick is again a buttons bay as my X45 was. I use the throttle mainly. On my right I still use the Microsoft FF2. Why? Force feedback is great. But the big throttle and added buttons of the X52 make my "cockpit" complete. The Throttle of the X52 is awesome. After a few days my hands began to get used to it. There is a few more buttons and a slider next to my thumb. The two wheels are better than the ones on the X45. The friction adjustment has been moved to the side so you can actually adjust them after you Double Side Tape it to your desk... Am I the only one who does this? The ultimate addon is this "Clutch" button. It disengages the device while you hold it down, then you can press any button and the display tells you what you have programed in there without actually performing the action. This is especially important when you have many commands spread over three modes. You no longer have to press and hope your bomb drops instead of your landing gear opening. However you must name your commands as you enter them to see this. For some reason the four way hat on the throttle does not display this feature. But it works great with all the other buttons. Another small niggle is the fact that I cannot get the mini mouse joystick to work as a four way hat. This effectively eliminates four commands. I am sure I will figure this one out. At any rate this one has enough buttons to eliminate "Dial a Kill". This was the USB Number pad I had attached to my X45.
So how do I rate it? In sheer pleasure to look at I give it a 10. Performance gets an 10. I love the new feel of the joystick and my throttle does a lot more than my X45's did. However value I would give it a 8. In this day an age the fact that Saitek did not incorporate Force Feedback into thier flagship stick is a shame. Perhaps its a whine on my part but for nearly 85 dollars the Microsoft FF2 has the feel of real flight(as real as I will ever know anyways). Track IR frees enogh buttons to make this stick the last one I will need for a long time. After 3 years I will retire my X45.

Maico

249th_Maico
12-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Its the last day of the week and a phone call alerts me to a new package. Was I ever surprised. The new X52 was preordered for over a month and is finnally here.
That night I spent a few agonizing minutes trying to get through the box. This thing is really well packaged. Like the X45 a bunch of styrofoam ensured even my APO rough guys did not break it. You may think this is silly but to a guy like me (8000 miles away from the western world) this is a BIG plus.
Out comes the shiny beautifull new design. It is a real joy to look at and hold. Yes that is real aluminum. Yes, it does feel solid. No, I would not let a 5 year old play with it. While feeling quite solid, it is no Cougar. The feel of quality is about on par with the X45 if not a bit better. Darn well worth the 129 US dollars I paid. The next few days passed and I worried how much change I would have to do going from the old stick to the new one. Finnally I decided to go for broke. New software had to be installed in order to bring the X52 online. I actually used the software and programmed a bunch of new commands. Disregarding the conservative programing I had done before I pushed ahead with lots of programing on all three modes. This thing is unbeleivable! I got more commands than I can remember. I write them on Excell then post them on my monitor. Within days, I dont need my cheat sheet anymore.
So enough about this nonsence. HOW does it perform? First off let me say that the rough tension of the X45 is gone. This stick has a much nicer feel. Inspite of the fact that it looks the same as its predecesor where the stick joins the base. It does not feel the same by a long shot. This one is much smoother. Gone is the awkared Rudder also. A much more conventional twist grip has been added. I tried flying with it for about two hours and it was great. Then I put everything back on the left. The stick is again a buttons bay as my X45 was. I use the throttle mainly. On my right I still use the Microsoft FF2. Why? Force feedback is great. But the big throttle and added buttons of the X52 make my "cockpit" complete. The Throttle of the X52 is awesome. After a few days my hands began to get used to it. There is a few more buttons and a slider next to my thumb. The two wheels are better than the ones on the X45. The friction adjustment has been moved to the side so you can actually adjust them after you Double Side Tape it to your desk... Am I the only one who does this? The ultimate addon is this "Clutch" button. It disengages the device while you hold it down, then you can press any button and the display tells you what you have programed in there without actually performing the action. This is especially important when you have many commands spread over three modes. You no longer have to press and hope your bomb drops instead of your landing gear opening. However you must name your commands as you enter them to see this. For some reason the four way hat on the throttle does not display this feature. But it works great with all the other buttons. Another small niggle is the fact that I cannot get the mini mouse joystick to work as a four way hat. This effectively eliminates four commands. I am sure I will figure this one out. At any rate this one has enough buttons to eliminate "Dial a Kill". This was the USB Number pad I had attached to my X45.
So how do I rate it? In sheer pleasure to look at I give it a 10. Performance gets an 10. I love the new feel of the joystick and my throttle does a lot more than my X45's did. However value I would give it a 8. In this day an age the fact that Saitek did not incorporate Force Feedback into thier flagship stick is a shame. Perhaps its a whine on my part but for nearly 85 dollars the Microsoft FF2 has the feel of real flight(as real as I will ever know anyways). Track IR frees enogh buttons to make this stick the last one I will need for a long time. After 3 years I will retire my X45.

Maico

SMURFY1967
12-04-2004, 02:46 AM
I agree fully my friend,the throttle is great,the joystick has a nice feel to it to even straight out of the box on the standard game settings.The lack of force feedback is a pain,no longer can you judge if a stall is coming by the resistance on the stick.All in all well worth the money,just give us a force feedback version of the stick at a discount price for those that have bought the current no feedback stick (that ain`t gonna happen is it!!!!!!!!!).