PDA

View Full Version : Any of you adjust your roll settings in game?

EAGLE_34_WO
02-22-2005, 06:11 AM
I have been flying with the CH Fighterstick and pro pedals for a few days now and love them. However I just lessened the sensitivity on my pro pedals and love it even more! I'm curious if you guys have adjusted your roll settings from the default 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100. I was on airwarfares site and the examples he gave are very different. I guess I'm asking what your guys roll settings are. Do you prefer them less sensitive than the default settings?

EAGLE_34_WO
02-22-2005, 06:11 AM
I have been flying with the CH Fighterstick and pro pedals for a few days now and love them. However I just lessened the sensitivity on my pro pedals and love it even more! I'm curious if you guys have adjusted your roll settings from the default 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100. I was on airwarfares site and the examples he gave are very different. I guess I'm asking what your guys roll settings are. Do you prefer them less sensitive than the default settings?

zjulik
02-22-2005, 06:45 AM
In a nice article about a real pilot with experience from our planes, trying out the game, Captain Eric Brown uses these settings:
Pitch: 0, 1, 3, 7, 9, 14, 18, 23, 27, 33
Roll: 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 10, 12, 17
Yaw: 0, 0, 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 11, 14, 16

Full article:
http://home.no.net/newsreel/brown.html

roadczar
02-22-2005, 06:56 AM
I€m curious about this as well.

With my MS FF2 I use:

Pitch/Roll: 10, 20, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100
Yaw: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 (default)

madsarmy
02-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the link zjulik.
Love this bit

I asked Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann (352 kills) once if he had ever fought in the west - he said he had, he hadn't scored once, had been scared the whole time and thought himself lucky to have lasted a month - it was a whole different ball game.

Cajun76
02-22-2005, 07:16 AM
My roll and especially pitch are different. I fly the Jug a lot, and default is too sensitive for pitch at high speed. It has the added benefit of mostly eliminating stalls for me in conjunction with (hopefully) being proficient at flying it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Experiment. My current stick has trouble 'reaching the corners', although it reaches directly up and down, side to side easily. My settings actually curve, but reach full travel sooner. Everyone's comfort zone and stick are different, I believe your stick curves should be too.

Pitch: 1 5 9 16 25 39 57 76 100 100
Roll: 5 12 20 29 41 55 69 83 100 100

Are my current settings. They were different with my Top Gun Afterburner, which has a shorter range of travel than my X-36 hybrid. (Modified PS2 controller for Ace Combat 5)

Tully__ has lots of good info, this is just my 0.02. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Von_Rat
02-22-2005, 01:15 PM
i have full CH setup.

what i do is set all the ingame settings to 100.

then i adjust the curve for pitch, yaw, etc. using the ch software.

i could be wrong but it seems to me that if you don't have ingame settings at 100., you are in effect flying with 2 curves, one from the game, the other from the CH software.

Wilburnator
02-22-2005, 03:51 PM
I do it the opposite way, I leave the CH software alone and use the in game settings. It's easier to use, and it allows for more control over the "curve" you create for the axis. The CH software has a graph for the axis, and you can increase or decrease curves in a very general (as in not exactly the way you want) way. It's simpler in game and works better I think. I do use the CH software to combine my CH controllers though.

Von_Rat
02-22-2005, 10:14 PM
it looks to me that the default ch setup, already has a curve.a straight line from 0 to 100.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-22-2005, 10:43 PM
I have the newer saitek X52 and I have pitch roll and yaw at 100 all the way across. It gives great control and it's the only way I could get it to feel right, now it feels like my old cyborg gold.

ClnlSandersLite
02-23-2005, 05:44 AM
Has anybody actually tried Captain Browns control settings yet? How does it fly?

lowfighter
02-23-2005, 07:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ClnlSandersLite:
Has anybody actually tried Captain Browns control settings yet? How does it fly? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No but with his settings

Pitch: 0, 1, 3, 7, 9, 14, 18, 23, 27, 33
Roll: 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 10, 12, 17
Yaw: 0, 0, 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 11, 14, 16

I guess one might need to be a genius to beat a good opponent who uses more conventional settings, which go from 0 to 100. Say you fly a Spit but it feels like flying a He111 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
well perhaps I'm exagerating...

ClnlSandersLite
02-23-2005, 05:01 PM
The stick would be a hell of a lot less sensitive, no doubt. But it may actually make things easier? Consider this: This is just an approximation, not a measurement. A typical game controller is roughly 6 inches from top to where the stick meets the base. To add 50% elevator up, you have to pull back just an inch. Let us say that a typical fighter stick (real) is 4 feet long from top to base. To add 50% elevator up, you'd have to move it back 8 inches assuming the same range of motion in degrees for both sticks. (4/.5=8 8*1 = 8 inches) Any thoughts?

ClnlSandersLite
02-23-2005, 07:30 PM
I just tried a slightly modified version of capt browns controls first i'll list them.

Pitch: 0, 1, 3, 7, 10, 14, 23, 45, 71, 100
Roll: 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 32, 67, 100
Yaw: I didn't feel like retraining my feet so I left it alone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Modifications:
I smothed his settings a little so they'd be more even. Specifically the 5th pitch setting. In order to reach full stick deflection, I had to adjust the last thrird of the inputs upwards steeply. I did them quickly and could probably stand some tweaking but it was good enough for a quick test.

Impressions:
The lower 2/3rds of the settings VERY precise for level flight and shooting. I'm talking surgical here. It felt a little sluggish to me, but that's most probably because I'm used to higher inputs. The high input ramp at the end would take some getting used to though and I felt that it just wasn't worth it to retrain my hand right now. Next time i drop the sim for awhile and pick it back up (take a break basically), I'll put these settings through the full run. Basically, it looks like a winner to me.

lowfighter
02-24-2005, 01:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ClnlSandersLite:
I just tried a slightly modified version of capt browns controls first i'll list them.

Pitch: 0, 1, 3, 7, 10, 14, 23, 45, 71, 100
Roll: 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 32, 67, 100
Yaw: I didn't feel like retraining my feet so I left it alone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Modifications:
I smothed his settings a little so they'd be more even. Specifically the 5th pitch setting. In order to reach full stick deflection, I had to adjust the last thrird of the inputs upwards steeply. I did them quickly and could probably stand some tweaking but it was good enough for a quick test.

Impressions:
The lower 2/3rds of the settings VERY precise for level flight and shooting. I'm talking surgical here. It felt a little sluggish to me, but that's most probably because I'm used to higher inputs. The high input ramp at the end would take some getting used to though and I felt that it just wasn't worth it to retrain my hand right now. Next time i drop the sim for awhile and pick it back up (take a break basically), I'll put these settings through the full run. Basically, it looks like a winner to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what would be fun, say all guys in a server playing with the same settings as his, it would look totaly different from the dogfights we're used to. On the other hand I feel that with normal settings the planes are responding too quickly, I don't feel well the inertia of the plane, of course it depends on the plane you pick. That's also why I fly 50% of time the big birds, it simply feels more real, well this is all very subjective I know...

Tully__
02-24-2005, 02:10 AM
EAGLE_34_WO: Click the "Joysticks..." link under my sig and read the section on "Setting Up Sensitivity". The Author's settings are mine.

roadczar: That jump between 3rd & 4th sliders in the pitch/roll axes is probably causing an awkward jump in senstivity at around 1/3rd joystick deflection. I recommend you read the same article and smooth out the transition from slider to slider a bit.

tjaika1910
02-24-2005, 04:20 AM
I am trying out the Eric Brown settings and I like it. It does give me problems online though. I did quite well but crashed twice because I could not pull the plane up as I was used to in a pressed situation.

Playing on the Crapserver of F19_Orheim(?), a real fun server, I soon lost initiative in the P11 vs P11-scenario when it turned to a pure turn and burn dogfight.

I will try the modifications mentioned here.

roadczar
02-24-2005, 06:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
roadczar: That jump between 3rd & 4th sliders in the pitch/roll axes is probably causing an awkward jump in senstivity at around 1/3rd joystick deflection. I recommend you read the same article and smooth out the transition from slider to slider a bit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Tully

I was trying for an aggressive response, but at the same time allowing for fine adjustments. I€ll try out your settings.

BTW, I only fly online (K4).

roadczar
02-24-2005, 08:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roadczar:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
roadczar: That jump between 3rd & 4th sliders in the pitch/roll axes is probably causing an awkward jump in senstivity at around 1/3rd joystick deflection. I recommend you read the same article and smooth out the transition from slider to slider a bit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Tully

I was trying for an aggressive response, but at the same time allowing for fine adjustments. I€ll try out your settings.

BTW, I only fly online (K4). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I€ve tried both yours and Oleg's settings and found that I like mine better. I am sure it€s a matter of personal preferences, but it seems that yours and Oleg€s settings required more extreme stick positions and seemed more prone to stalls. My settings allowed fine adjustments at the initial stages and were more linear after that.

pourshot
02-24-2005, 09:00 PM
This is what I use for my Cougars X-Y axis

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~andycarroll68/Cougar%20profile.jpg