PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's creed Achievement: Conversationalist

Tew_2nd
05-10-2008, 09:33 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif Ok achievements I guess are good for when you beat the game you still have something to do. Conversationalist achievement I didn't get becuase I was more worried about getting the story line rather than wasting time. Conversationalist achievement in my opinion is pointless and now after beating the game I have to start over again to get this one. I think its a bad idea to only have one chance of getting achievements becuase in reality achievements aren't apart of the game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif Should game developers make more of these one time only achievements or not? I say not, its annouying in opinion.

Bobfish_Almight
05-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Dude, chill. If it bugs you so much why bother starting again to get it anyway? Personally, I really like this kind of thing. I think it adds to the challenge of 100% completion

cooldude6681
05-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Tew_2nd:
Conversationalist achievement I didn't get becuase I was more worried about getting the story line rather than wasting time. Your logic fails. You get more of the story by talking to Lucy. So actually trying to get the Conversationalist achievement puts you on the path to better story understandingness.
Remember: The game is about Desmond, not Altaïr.

dacoolstas
05-10-2008, 08:14 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif couldn't have said it better myself.

Tew_2nd
05-11-2008, 12:12 AM
i guess your right alittle bit but the main reason why im made b/c i feel like achievements like that one shouldn't ever exist. The idea of an achievement being on time only chance i bad. besides its extra stuff that really doesnt matter.

cooldude6681
05-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Well, it's not really a one-time only achievement, as you can just start over (and get the story again, understanding it better). The Conversationalist achievement I like. The achievements for finding all the flags, killing all the templars...I don't like those ones.

True one-time-only achievements are rare. The only game I know of (though I'm sure there are more) that has get-it-on-your-first-try-or-not-at-all achievements is Tomb Raider: Anniversary.

HannahIsMyName
05-11-2008, 04:54 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cooldude6681:
Remember: The game is about Desmond, not Altaïr.

How can the game be about desmond when you play as Altair? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Well actually to answer my own question i guess it is about desmond but we see more of Altair.
which is a good thing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

altairego
05-11-2008, 04:55 AM
desmond is almost lost here: he's incidental almost

Phreaky_McGeek
05-11-2008, 05:11 AM
If you don't like the damn achievement, don't bother getting it!

BlairCullen02
05-11-2008, 07:27 AM
It annoyed me too a little bit that I didn't get it, but I found nothing wrong with just restarting. This way I could understand the game better and also get the Hungerer of Knowledge achievement.

Bobfish_Almight
05-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Phreaky_McGeek:
If you don't like the damn achievement, don't bother getting it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Tew_2nd
05-11-2008, 08:53 PM
yeah i guess restarting isnt that bad since really there's no free play mode which would be nice to have. I am going back in getting the hunger of knowledge achievement also. Still I think developers need not make one time only achievements but to each and to own I guess, right?

Bobfish_Almight
05-12-2008, 11:51 PM
I've finished now and I'm a bit confuzzled what the whole achievements thing is. I mean, I'm familiar with the aspect from other games, but I don't see anything in Creed. Was it taken out from the PC release or am I just being a dumbhorse?

Archetype_Zero
05-13-2008, 06:16 AM
i'll admit i've only played AC all the way through once, and got some of the basic stuff like all viewpoints and all investigations, i don't think i've seen anything like that for conversations. maybe i missed it?

also, on the topic of who the story is about: (some people above stated that Desmond is the main character) i'd have to say the game itself is mostly about Altair. you play as him, you hear his point of view a lot, and you learn more about his character than you do about Desmond. now, perhaps the trilogy as a whole will be about Desmond in the long-run, but AC focuses on Altair and treats Desmond as a side-story in a way. Desmond is simply a vessel to show how the main story (Altair's story) effects modern-day, which causes the players to care a bit more. i can't speak for all gamers, but if a game/movie/book takes place in another time or another world, i have trouble connecting with the characters or caring about the conflicts.

here's what i mean (this contains very vague spoilers, i guess, so if you haven't beaten the game don't worry cause i haven't put in anything specific)

Altair goes from being totally arrogant, to slowly becoming a more understanding person, to (at the end) becoming completely defiant after learning so much and feeling betrayed.

this is called character development, and is almost always shown by the main character of any story. character development is simply showing how a character's thoughts, opinions, and emotions CHANGE throughout a story ultimately resulting in the climax (in AC's case, this would obviously be the end of Altair's story, when he actually starts yelling and saying very defiant things, and is for the first time in the story, outwardly emotional)

Desmond, on the other hand, has almost no character development. sure, he gets annoyed about his situation and the doctor's viewpoints, but what else does he really do? he doesn't express much at all through actions or conversation. and at the end of the story, other than the obvious change that occurs (i won't put in a spoiler, but you know what i'm talking about) he really is pretty much the same exact person he was at the beginning. in fact, despite this somewhat physical change, he might even be more static and dull than he was to begin with, which isn't development at all. which, to me, makes Altair the real main character.

i didn't mean to go on a rant there. sorry if it was a bit off topic.

LaurenIsSoMosh
05-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Tew_2nd:
i feel like achievements like that one shouldn't ever exist.
Oh, there are so many worse achievements. You don't even know.

For instance GRAW's achievement "climb to the top of the world leaderboards." Only a handful of people ever got that one.

Yeah, good luck getting that one. Just about impossible.

Multiplayer achievements are the real achievements that shouldn't exist. Not everyone has Xbox Live, nor should anyone need to purchase it just to get achievements.

But, on topic, Cool Dude hit the nail on the head. The story is best told when you talk to Lucy, read all mail, access the secret room, and so on.

But I see what you're saying, it would have been better if the present was constructed as multiple levels as well, and you could go to level one to get the beginning of the story when they kidnap him, or whatever. Would have at least been less stressful that way because you know that if you forgot something you don't have to restart the game just to get it.

Bobfish_Almight
05-13-2008, 10:58 AM
I think it's likely we'll see Desmond develop more in the following installments. If you watch carefully he does betray little bits about himself but under the circumstances it's not rel surprise he's tight lipped