PDA

View Full Version : ME-262 VS. P-80 (DOG FIGHT) /!\

kearsarge007
04-14-2006, 08:32 PM
When we sum-up all the variables,which plane will come up on top?

Xiolablu3
04-14-2006, 08:46 PM
In my opinon P80, purely because it has the better guns for the job.

A jet engine in the game cannot stand even a few hits from a 50 cal and they are much easier to hit with than the Mk108s. A jet engine hit with a bullet int he game usually bursts into flame.

In my opinon He162 vs P80 is a better fight in the game.

Monson74
04-15-2006, 04:28 AM
P-80 performs better & the 262 tends to overheat - both planes can destroy the other with a single short burst but I think the P-80 comes out on top.

FritzGryphon
04-15-2006, 04:53 AM
P-80 has same top speed, better accel and climb, and much better manueverability. Even the Vne is about the same. Not much going for the Me-262.

Originally, the P-80 had a lower Vne and lower level top speed than the Me-262, but was changed in a subsequent patch.

RCAF_Irish_403
04-15-2006, 06:08 AM
P80 wins

Heliopause
04-15-2006, 06:32 AM
In this game: YP-80 shooting Star.

danjama
04-15-2006, 09:13 AM
The P80 seems to have much better speed retention when turning and climbing. That is the main thing ive noticed. One of the last fights i had online was in a private game with a friend, me262 vs P80. We switched a couple times and had fun, the P80 always seemed to come out on top. The 50 cals are also easily strong enough to fire a 262 and once that happens the 262 is dead.

stoopidlimey
04-15-2006, 09:14 AM
In real life the Me-262 would win hands down. Why? You ask? I'm sure all you arm chair thirteen year old WWII experts know the P-80 was only brought into the ETO just for "Show" and testing. ALso they were unarmed and the Engines tended to FAIL constantly. It's too bad this game gives the P-80 the performance it never had in WWII. When some of you answer, PLEASE, give WWII Documentation, not wishfull thinking. Also, please list all combat records of the P-80.....This is going to be good.

Stootpidlimey

Copperhead310th
04-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Yep i agree. P-80 is the winner hands down.

If you fly it right.....
Stay fast and turn turn turn the they can't touch you. Use good throttle managment.
and try to keep the alt advantage.

IMO
P-80 vs me-262 = P-80 wins big time.
P-80 vs He-162 = P-80 wins...but only by a nose.
P-80 vs Gotha... hard to say
havn't done it this patch....
but in 4.02 it was a very very tight match.

danjama
04-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by stoopidlimey:
In real life the Me-262 would win hands down. Why? You ask? I'm sure all you arm chair thirteen year old WWII experts know the P-80 was only brought into the ETO just for "Show" and testing. ALso they were unarmed and the Engines tended to FAIL constantly. It's too bad this game gives the P-80 the performance it never had in WWII. When some of you answer, PLEASE, give WWII Documentation, not wishfull thinking. Also, please list all combat records of the P-80.....This is going to be good.

Stootpidlimey

Errr, this isnt a factual thread, this is for our opinions, maybe you should delete or edit your post?!

stoopidlimey
04-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Maybe you should read my post again, did the truth hurt you?

Stroopidlimey

danjama
04-15-2006, 09:29 AM
I read it again, should i just quote myself? No that would be too easy....

This thread is for opinions based on the two planes performances in this game, no need for real life charts on performance. I think you have gotten yourself lost, for Olegs Ready Room go to the top of the General Discussion page and click on Maddox Games. Once there select Olegs Ready Room. I hope that helped.

Copperhead310th
04-15-2006, 09:39 AM

Stootpidlimey

Also please leave your NooB hat at the door.
you have a grand total of 17 post's. new here and don't have clue how things work.
So...i'll be nice and explain a few thing to you right away so to clear up any confution.

When you come into some ones thread and acting as disrespectful as you have and use the words you have chosen to use...NO ONE will take you serously. So don't act like a total *** on your 1st day here. Just good advice there...and will keep the mods off your back.

We have enough trolls in this comunity and we could always use a few more coributing members.
try not to trash sh*t right out the door soon as you get here.

NOW let me explain something to you.
1. The topic was IN THIS SIM what aircraft has the advantige. not IN REAL LIFE.

2. How much Knowlage of this sim do you have?
My self i've been almost 5 years. some ppl here have been even longer. So we pretty much no just about everything there is to know about this paticular sim.

3. A great deal of the members here are either pilots in real life, active duty military, or retired military. Or work in an avation realted feild. those who don't, or are not pilots....have done enough research to have gotten a degree on the subject. And I know of at least 2 or 3 WWII VET PILOTS WHO ARE ACTIVE PLAYERS.

4. the average age of the members of this commity is 26 to 35. and i know ppl a lot older than this. So your statment

"I'm sure all you arm chair thirteen year old WWII experts......"

is so far off the mark you couln't find it with with a map and a bloody compas.

Now if you have some to say to contribute to what the Author this post was discusing then by all means contenuie.
If not....STFU.

Have a nice day...thank you drive through.

I_KG100_Prien
04-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Guess I'll throw a wrench in this and say the 262 can stand toe to toe with the P80 if it is flown right. They key I found is keeping fast and not getting into a turning match, and of course praying you don't get hit with the 50's. However, the P80 pilot also needs to pray that he doesn't get hit by a burst from the 262. Both scenarios are fatal for BOTH jets.

I was able to dance with 2 P80's in a 262, and not only did I survive, I was able to cripple one of them.

Anyway, to keep it short I think it also heavily depends on the pilot flying either plane, much like it goes for all the "Which is better" questions.

OD_79
04-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Must admit the262 does flame easily, I was on one with the Spit MkIX and didn't bother to waste cannon ammo on it, 0.303's did the job fine! So between the two...I'd say down to pilot otherwsie P-80, if you want a definitive answer...now all we need is a meteor! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

OD.

AKA_TAGERT
04-15-2006, 11:43 AM

Stootpidlimey Poor Luftie

Divine-Wind
04-15-2006, 11:57 AM

Stootpidlimey
We're talking about the GAME, not real life. Next time don't just pop in without reading more. If we were talking about real life, the answers would be a lot different. But since this is about a P-80 vs Me262 dogfight IN GAME, your post pretty much has nothing to do with what's being said.

Now, about a dogfight, it could go either way depending on how the pilots are handling their crates. If a P-80 pilot can get a shot at either of the 262's engines with the .50s, he's pretty much won. But reverse that, with the Me262 on the poor sucker's tail, well, there goes another Shooting Star.

stoopidlimey
04-15-2006, 12:01 PM
You guys are real funny, how do you know I haven't been here for a long time using another name? It's sad to see such ignorance all in one place. Guys, get a grip, the P-80 would SUCK if the FM's were right. The 109 got porked, why not the P-80? Wait......I know.......TAGERT says it's fast, so it must be.....geeezzz, I am wrong..LOL...NOT.LOL

Stoopidlimey

anarchy52
04-15-2006, 12:31 PM
In the game - P-80 wins easily due to ...well it better at everything, especially manuverability. The fact that those 4 mk108s will vaporize anything they come in contact with is not important since 262 has little to no chance of getting an opportunity to shoot. And heavy MGs of P-80 will make short work of Me-262s engines.

IRL...well the winner would be the one who would have better luck with engine MTBF distribution curve http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. YP-80 had a 50% loss rate caused by engine failures (joke - 4 were sent for combat trials IIRC, 2 crashed, trials were postponed). I'm not sure what were the main differences between YP (prototype - pre-series) and P-80 serial aircrafts.

Although (Y)P-80 probably was more manuverable of the two - the difference probably wasn't so dramatic as in game. I seem to remember an interview with an ex. P-80 pilot posted on this forum...

Xiolablu3
04-15-2006, 01:36 PM
You guys are real funny, how do you know I haven't been here for a long time using another name? It's sad to see such ignorance all in one place. Guys, get a grip, the P-80 would SUCK if the FM's were right. The 109 got porked, why not the P-80? Wait......I know.......TAGERT says it's fast, so it must be.....geeezzz, I am wrong..LOL...NOT.LOL

Stoopidlimey

Ahhhh!!, he is obviously an Ex 109 wartime pilot who flew 109's. Could you tell us about when you flew the 109 in battle and your experiences in how it is wrong please?.

Strange how his name seems tailor made to create bad feelings between the US and UK, tho isnt it? NOT.

CornbreadPattie
04-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Copperhead310th:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stoopidlimey:

Stootpidlimey

Also please leave your NooB hat at the door.
you have a grand total of 17 post's. new here and don't have clue how things work.
So...i'll be nice and explain a few thing to you right away so to clear up any confution.

When you come into some ones thread and acting as disrespectful as you have and use the words you have chosen to use...NO ONE will take you serously. So don't act like a total *** on your 1st day here. Just good advice there...and will keep the mods off your back.

We have enough trolls in this comunity and we could always use a few more coributing members.
try not to trash sh*t right out the door soon as you get here.

NOW let me explain something to you.
1. The topic was IN THIS SIM what aircraft has the advantige. not IN REAL LIFE.

2. How much Knowlage of this sim do you have?
My self i've been almost 5 years. some ppl here have been even longer. So we pretty much no just about everything there is to know about this paticular sim.

3. A great deal of the members here are either pilots in real life, active duty military, or retired military. Or work in an avation realted feild. those who don't, or are not pilots....have done enough research to have gotten a degree on the subject. And I know of at least 2 or 3 WWII VET PILOTS WHO ARE ACTIVE PLAYERS.

4. the average age of the members of this commity is 26 to 35. and i know ppl a lot older than this. So your statment

"I'm sure all you arm chair thirteen year old WWII experts......"

is so far off the mark you couln't find it with with a map and a bloody compas.

Now if you have some to say to contribute to what the Author this post was discusing then by all means contenuie.
If not....STFU.

Have a nice day...thank you drive through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL COpperhead, you're silly.

kearsarge007
04-15-2006, 05:27 PM
So the conclusion is,these 2 ACs are almost equally matched! it's up to the pilots skills..
when i fly the P-80,i can shot down the 262--vice versa--

maybe in real life the 262 will win,according to the previous posts! but this battle will never happen in real life!,only on combat sims http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

FritzGryphon
04-15-2006, 05:34 PM
So the conclusion is,these 2 ACs are almost equally matched! it's up to the pilots skills..

Hardly. The YP-80 is better in every way, except for an equal top speed. The YP-80 sustained turn probably 50% better, for one thing.

With equal skill, the Me-262 would have little chance of winning. Energy, turn fight, wouldn't matter.

Only case I'd give the Me-262 an edge in is a head-on, but even then, both planes would probably get flamed.

Badsight.
04-15-2006, 05:49 PM
i give the 262 a window of opportunity of 1 half turn (a 180)

if the 262 user doesnt get a shot in at that merge he is fighting a losing battle

of course most DF's are won thru the other guy making a mistake . . .

Rjel
04-15-2006, 06:46 PM
The YP-80 must win. It is an American* A/C after all. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Seriously, didn't Chuck Yeager fly the 262 after the war and feel it was superior in certain areas of flight?

*I can safely say this as I am an American. Don't hate me.

AKA_TAGERT
04-15-2006, 07:37 PM

Stoopidlimey Poor Luftie

FritzGryphon
04-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Wow, does everything have to a flag waving whine fest?

It's just a game, people.

However, the YP-80 FM is far too good. It was just an American plane, after all.

Rjel
04-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:

However, the YP-80 FM is far too good. It was just an American plane, after all.

But it had a British designed engine. Does that count for anything? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SkyChimp
04-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Rjel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:

But it had a British designed engine. Does that count for anything? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Accounts for the reason it failed so much.

fordfan25
04-16-2006, 01:34 AM

Stoopidlimey yes alot of ignorance is in one place and your sitting in it.

fordfan25
04-16-2006, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:

However, the YP-80 FM is far too good. It was just an American plane, after all. lol poor fritz. sucks not being a "yank" hu http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif all that hate http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif wow if you guys had put that much effort into your war effort you might not have lost http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif i kidd of course.

youd have still lost http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif j/k

Xiolablu3
04-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by SkyChimp:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rjel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:

But it had a British designed engine. Does that count for anything? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Accounts for the reason it failed so much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Good answer

Divine-Wind
04-16-2006, 04:03 PM
My thoughts exactly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

AKA_TAGERT
04-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by SkyChimp:
Accounts for the reason it failed so much. ROTFL

Viper2005_
04-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Actually that isn't strictly fair. The P-80 got through lots of engines during its lifetime. AFAIK one of the first engine failures was caused by the guys at Lockheed messing up their intake sums on the XP-80, resulting in the duct collapsing and FODing the engine.

The helpful gentlemen from deHavilland (who had warned them that this was probably going to happen) responded by lending them the engine they were using in the Spidercrab.

That engine was the Halford H.1 later named "Goblin".

In US service it was going to be named J-36. It was to be produced by Allis-Chalmers.

It hit lengthy delays, and so the P-80 (from XP-80A onwards) ended up with the Allison J-33, which was their version of the General Electric I-40, which in turn was a modified, scaled up Rolls-Royce Derwent. Good pedigree, but it was a 1st generation American engine (I-16 was a straight copy of Whittle's work).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-80_Shooting_Star

Goblin was a 3000 lbf engine and took the XP-80 to just over 500 mph. J-33 was in the 4000 lbf class, which was good for about another 100 mph or so.

Yog_Shoggoth
04-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Maybe you should read my post again, did the truth hurt you?

Stroopidlimey
If you're going to act snobbish and superior at least spell YOUR OWN NAME RIGHT.

Please?

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-16-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm assuming this is a human vs. human dogfight?

Heh, I shouldn't even be asking that....

In this sim/game, I would vote on the YP-80, I've put these two planes up numerous times flying for both sides(its fun like that) and feel the YP-80 does better by all accounts.

Then again it could all depend on who is behind the stick of said jet.

kearsarge007
04-16-2006, 06:40 PM
does the " K-14 " gunsight contributes largely to the P-80's performance?..I dont use this gunsight cause its so annoying! i'm used to the traditional
gunsight.

AKA_TAGERT
04-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Stop and think about it for a second.. Kelly build the best prop figher of the war.. So god knows he would also build the best jet of the war.. If that is not enough to convice you, look at the stuff Kelly build after the war.. SR71 and U2.. nuff said!

Max.Power
04-16-2006, 10:18 PM
It's been a while since I've flown on servers that allowed jets, but I found it difficult to get the mk 108s on a target moving that fast. Provided you hit the engines, the guns on the YP80 are much more suited to the task.

As for the meteor, the operational variants of world war II were really bad in comparison to the other jets, if I am not mistaken. Noone would fly them except for fans in this sim if it was well modelled, I think. It would be the same with the aircomet. They were jets that didn't offer much over the contemporary piston engined aircraft.

ColoradoBBQ
04-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by kearsarge007:
does the " K-14 " gunsight contributes largely to the P-80's performance?..I dont use this gunsight cause its so annoying! i'm used to the traditional
gunsight.

Yes, the K-14 gunsight helps with your aim when you B and Z.

chris455
04-17-2006, 12:28 AM
If memory serves, these two prepubescent jets were flown against one another in mock combat aftet WWII at Wright Patterson AFB, (then Wright Field).
The German warbird was given the nod as to diving ability.
In all other respects, the Shooting Star was the superior aircraft.
I'm still trying to relocate the link, which I will post here when available.

Old_Canuck
04-17-2006, 12:54 AM

Stoopidlimey

Are you one of the trolls from a couple of years ago? If so welcome back, we missed you. If not, keep working on your delivery. You come across as mildly annoying but with a little more effort you could become banhammer material.