PDA

View Full Version : Something I've wanted to try for a while..

Undefdisfigure
12-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Okay, I just beat Josh Waitzkin Age 9 with a high resources engine and memory table set to 1 GB. I think this means I'm comfortable with the 1800 level. I'm ready to play Josh Waitzkin Age 12 (2100) and I'm sure it will be a challenge. Can anybody tell me if he's much stronger at 2100 than 1800? And will I need to spot unnatural moves, or can he be beaten systematically as was my approach till now?

diskamyl
12-15-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Undefdisfigure:
Okay, I just beat Josh Waitzkin Age 9 with a high resources engine and memory table set to 1 GB. I think this means I'm comfortable with the 1800 level. I'm ready to play Josh Waitzkin Age 12 (2100) and I'm sure it will be a challenge. Can anybody tell me if he's much stronger at 2100 than 1800? And will I need to spot unnatural moves, or can he be beaten systematically as was my approach till now?

(Question: does it make a significant difference in playing with "low resources engine" and "medium resources engine" if you don't have dual processor?)

I think they should be very different in strength. Of course how you beat him would rely on your rating. congrats by the way, I think I still have a long time before being able to beet any 1800 characters.

diskamyl
12-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by ebutaljib:
<LI> If you have it set to "low resources engine" then the old The King 3.33 engine from 10th edition will be used.
<LI> With "medium resources engine" the new The King 3.50 engine will be used (it will use only one core and run in 32 bit, no matter if you have 64 bit OS or not)
<LI> If you set it to "High resources engine" then The King 3.50 engine will use 2 cores. If you have 64 bit OS it will run in 64 bits, otherwise in 32 bits.

Check the various computer rating lists to see how much stronger the 3.50 version (running on 1 core) is in comparison to the 3.33 version.

Josh - age 12 is definatelly stronger than Josh - age 9 (as the ratings indicate). He wont make any big mistakes like throwing pieces, thats for sure. You will just have to outplay him.

By the way, Josh uses only 16MB for hashtables. That 1 GB settings in the "Engine" sub-menu applies only to the mentor.

thanks, that made things clear.

diskamyl
12-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by ebutaljib:
<LI> If you have it set to "low resources engine" then the old The King 3.33 engine from 10th edition will be used.
<LI> With "medium resources engine" the new The King 3.50 engine will be used (it will use only one core and run in 32 bit, no matter if you have 64 bit OS or not)
<LI> If you set it to "High resources engine" then The King 3.50 engine will use 2 cores. If you have 64 bit OS it will run in 64 bits, otherwise in 32 bits.

Ebutaljib, in the readme file, it says different things. probably it's the correct one, because makes more sense.

In the "Engine Settings" window (or the "Preferences>Engine Settings" menu) you will find the "Chess Engine Used" setting.
Here you'll be able to choose which engine Chessmaster will use:
- Low resources engine: the Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition engine, but without the multithread and multicore options;
- Medium resources engine: the Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition engine, but without the multithread option;
- High resources engine: the Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition engine, with the multithread option;

Undefdisfigure
12-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Actually my rating is still too low to play Josh Age 12, but at the just over 2000 level the computer is pretty damn tough for me (using high resources engine). If I changed the engine priority to high from (close to) low, will that also improve the engine strength?

It seems I have to understand the game at a deep level in order to outdo 2000 + rated opponents. And I know that there wasn't actually a "new" engine, just the King 3.33 optimized for multicores called the King 3.50. Although the version # would seem to indicate that there were changes. But it looks like they were only to make the program run well on multiprocessors.

oozziejoe
12-15-2007, 11:44 PM
I would hope that the weaker personalities (e.g., under 2200) would not be affected by hardware. To weaken the engine, you might restrict depth, increase the probability and magnitude of a blunder, or overemphasize material or positional factors. These sort of weakenign moves should not depend too much on hardware. And cm does not need to get beyond depth of 10 to play at the 2000 level anyway.

best
J

Undefdisfigure
12-17-2007, 02:27 PM
I just drew Jessica rated over 2000 by threefold repetition! But guess what? She threw a piece! I had her all blocked up and she couldn't do anything so she finally decided to throw a piece. The game was essentially mine after but I was going to run out on time and so I found a variation that forced her to repeat moves or she would be even worse. Now I'm ready to play Josh Age 12, and I'm sure he won't throw a piece.