PDA

View Full Version : How About the Milk Cows?

uboatbeast
06-25-2007, 12:50 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifAchtung Kapitans, I would like to suggest that the SH3 team would issue an update to include the Type XIV U-boat better known as the "Milk Cow". These fat hulled U-boats are supply submarines that resupply other U-boats at sea with fuel, torpedoes, food, and other supplies to extend their range and endurance. Also include several missions to rendezvous and resupply the boats at sea. The Milk Cows are instrumental in extending the range of U-boats on their missions to enter into the Gulf of Mexico to attack tanker shipping departing from Texas and also down as far as the South Atlantic for example. That would be a great update to add to SH3.

danurve
06-25-2007, 01:03 PM
The 1.4 ptch was final.
There are several mods WAC & GWX for example that include resupply ships and resupply subs "Cows" that allow you to dock & resupply just as if you were docking at a friendly base.
This will not "extend" you existing patrol, but rather start a new patrol with a "NULL" grid & orders to return to home base.

uboatbeast
06-27-2007, 02:38 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifThank you! I'll check it out.

HK_Stealth_SOB
03-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi. First a very big thank you to the team who developed GWX.2 its absolutely excellent and has really made the SH3 Simulation addictive.
Second I found and stopped by a Milk cow class X1V sub and expected a refuel and rearm to start. It didnt. I must be doing something wrong. Fortunately with my last few torps and drops of fuel I fought my way home to base.

How to refuel and rearm at sea from a milk cow sub please?

Foehammer-1
03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Rather simple. Just hit Escape within about 20-40 km off that sub, and select "Dock at U-whatever"

Your patrol will end, and on the next one you are free to go anywhere you like. I personally prefer to go to the cow, refuel, then go to the US coast, leave some fuel to get back to the cow, refuel, go hunting again by NY

Kaleun1961
03-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by uboatbeast:
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifAchtung Kapitans, I would like to suggest that the SH3 team would issue an update to include the Type XIV U-boat better known as the "Milk Cow". These fat hulled U-boats are supply submarines that resupply other U-boats at sea with fuel, torpedoes, food, and other supplies to extend their range and endurance. Also include several missions to rendezvous and resupply the boats at sea. The Milk Cows are instrumental in extending the range of U-boats on their missions to enter into the Gulf of Mexico to attack tanker shipping departing from Texas and also down as far as the South Atlantic for example. That would be a great update to add to SH3.

The first six U-boats to operate in this area were sent there as the "Paukenschlag" group or "Drumbeat." They couldn't believe how easy it was to sink the ill prepared US shipping. I'm sure we're mostly familiar with the slaughter they inflicted there. The tanker traffic, after the initial period of slaughter, suddenly seemed to dry up. What had taken place to reduce the traffic was the usage of railroad oil tankers to ship the oil up to the US East Coast ports and thence onto tankers for Atlantic convoys. It was a judicious move, as there was ample slack in the rail system. In one stroke, a huge hole in American shipping security was plugged. Another initial move was to forbid night time coastal shipping. Ships at sea would make for port before sunset, lay overnight and then resume during daylight hours. This also served to reduce the number of targets and kept them safe during the most perilous hours of the voyage, night time, since the U-boats preferred to operate surfaced at night. Of course, once airborne radar was deployed, even the cloak of darkness wasn't enough and the U-boats eventually became the prey instead of the hunter.