PDA

View Full Version : Any way to increase the detail of landscape at a distance??

Tachyon1000
07-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Something that really bothers me with this game now that I have a new computer is how the landscape textures are great within your immediate vicinity, but if you look not terribly far away, maybe a grid or so, the landscape gets all blurry and quality of the landscape goes down considerably. I have all settings set to high or excellent. Perfect settings don't seem to influence this nearly as I can tell. So I am wondering if there is any way to increase the drawing distance of the detailed landscape as in perhaps the game gives you great textures out to a kilometer but thereafter blurry. Is there a way to increase it to two kilometers or whatever it should be to see things with good detail within visual range. It would also be great if there was a setting such that buildings in cities didn't just pop out of nowhere while I am traversing them. It's a real immersion disruption.

Tachyon1000
07-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Something that really bothers me with this game now that I have a new computer is how the landscape textures are great within your immediate vicinity, but if you look not terribly far away, maybe a grid or so, the landscape gets all blurry and quality of the landscape goes down considerably. I have all settings set to high or excellent. Perfect settings don't seem to influence this nearly as I can tell. So I am wondering if there is any way to increase the drawing distance of the detailed landscape as in perhaps the game gives you great textures out to a kilometer but thereafter blurry. Is there a way to increase it to two kilometers or whatever it should be to see things with good detail within visual range. It would also be great if there was a setting such that buildings in cities didn't just pop out of nowhere while I am traversing them. It's a real immersion disruption.

GH_Klingstroem
07-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Go to your conf.ini file under the game directory, scroll down to this line (almost at the bottom).

HardwareShaders=0

Change the zero to a "1" and u should get a better landscape.
Come back and lest us know!
cheers

bmoffa
07-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Just for the heck of it, I tried changing that setting. I didn't make any difference, and it got reset back to 0 by the game.

GH_Klingstroem
07-16-2007, 09:18 AM
In that case ur videocard doesnt have the ability to run perfect mode!

dbillo
07-16-2007, 09:22 AM
There's a little more to running Perfect Landscape mode than changing Hardwareshaders=1

You can implement it by running il2setup.exe in your game installation folder. On the Driver tab, make sure OpenGL is selected in the Provider pulldown. Select a 32 bit colour depth in the Video Mode window, and make sure Use Stencil Buffer is checked on.

If your rig is capable, this should get you Perfect Landscape in the game.

bmoffa
07-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Personnally, I have found that too much detail makes it harder to spot the enemy. I was running at 1600x1200 32 bit, but fund I can see more at 1024x768 32 bit. Its not as pretty, but I'm not there for the tour. As for speed, I have run with the highest settings I can get and it doesn't seem any slower to me. BTW, I've got an NVIDIA 6800 video card running on a 3.2ghz P4 with 2 gb ram.

Tachyon1000
07-16-2007, 06:56 PM
I think you all missed it where I said that Perfect settings did not effect this. I have run the game with perfect landscape settings. All that does is give me the detailed water. Whether or not this is set, there is still a substantial degradation of the landscape quality at a distance.

-HH- Beebop
07-16-2007, 07:26 PM
I think that the draw distance is set and cannot be changed by the user. All the changes to image quality the user can access only take place within that set draw distance.
If the draw distance were increased the added load to the CPU and graphics card would probably bring even high end computers to a crawl. Look what the current draw distance does to many machines.

(if i'm wrong, which is entirely possible, someone else smarter than me will correct my errors, be sure)