PDA

View Full Version : EA buying 20%of Ubi

FI-finbar1
12-20-2004, 06:39 AM
Interesting news courtesy of Lock-On Forums.

www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57452 (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57452)

FI-finbar1
12-20-2004, 06:39 AM
Interesting news courtesy of Lock-On Forums.

www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57452 (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57452)

LeadSpitter_
12-20-2004, 07:49 AM
oh no, here comes pure fantasy arcade cheatfest pay to play games with punk buster.

Hopefully Operation flashpoint 2 will not be effected by EA, ubi bought codemasters.

GoToAway
12-20-2004, 09:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
Hopefully Operation flashpoint 2 will not be effected by EA, ubi bought codemasters. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That almost made my heart stop.

Ubi didn't buy Codemasters. That was a rumor going around last year that various people stepped out to debunk. Apparently Ubi was interested in acquiring CM, but it didn't happen.

Link (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3948)

If EA acquires Ubi, well... Let's just say that I don't think we'll be seeing much from Oleg published by them. EA has no interest in quality, no interest in innovation, and absolutely no interest in supporting niche genres that won't make them richer. In fact, EA has a history of driving innovative forces right out of the industry (can you say "Origin"?)

If they make good on this hostile takeover... it'll be a sad day indeed.

FatBoyHK
12-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Yes, Ubisoft is a d@mn good company, see the games it released this year, good quality, good value to the money I paid. EA sucks, all they can do is to buy another companies, and make sequel of the latters' great titles... cough Champianship Manager cough Command and Couqer cough etcetc... and everytime they screwed up big time.... it is a shame...

Seem Blizzard is the only one left.... even Lucasart isn't good anymore, they used to be d@mn good in the X-Wing age, oh, I miss the good old time so much...

SkyPiggies
12-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Politics...

If Ubi want to sell games in the US, it's wise to get some Americans on board

Otherwise, they shouldn't be surprised if they run into all sorts of strange and annoying legal problems...

Platypus_1.JaVA
12-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Looks like it is more serious than the rumours that M$ is going to buy 1C:Maddox so he cannot develop Il-2 anymore in favor of their CFS 3. This rumor is coming up every now and then on this forum

WOLFMondo
12-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Leadspitter, Im indifferent about EA, yeah they screwed up a good few franchises but PB isn't all bad, it cleaned up the BF1942 and its mod community however at the same time they never really helped the mod community. Also it was the BF1942 community who asked for Punkbuster to be included around patch 1.5 over a year after the initial BF1942 release.

I don't see how this affects any Ubisoft or 1C maddox games.

EA has not aquired Ubi, they bought a stake in Ubi, not even a controlling stake. They can have there say at the AGM's but I can go buy 1 share in Ubi and have my say also if I really wanted, you all can too. They might get someone on the board of directors and they can due good business together etc. Its not the end of the world and this might mean good things for 1C like more investment, better distribution, better marketting etc for start.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FatBoyHK:
Yes, Ubisoft is a d@mn good company, see the games it released this year, good quality, good value to the money I paid. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say the opposite tbh. I know allot of guys who play RvS, GR etc and the support they get is terrible. I would never list ubisoft as a top rate publisher as they lack in many areas.

LeadSpitter_
12-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Come on WOLFMondo, how you can say pb helps? I have seen WOLF squadron all the cheatfest games I have played before COD, MOH SOF1 2, RTCW, NOVALOGIC BHD JO, BF1942 FH DC, BFVIETNAM, AAO and a few others.

PB does not stop 90% of the online cheats and being a big popular squadron and hosting lots of dedicated servers in all these different pb bases games im sure you guys know it, and im sure you all know what passes pb and what does not as anyone who can find cheat sites with the programs that pass pb with a simple google search. Theres thousands of those sites

GoToAway
12-20-2004, 10:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
EA has not aquired Ubi, they bought a stake in Ubi, not even a controlling stake. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1509&ncid=732&e=7&u=/afp/20041220/tc_afp/franceuscomputersoftwaregamecompanyinvestubisoftea

EA is attempting to acquire 19.9% of Ubi. The next largest shareholder is composed of the collective stock of the founders (15%.) If this goes through, EA will be the majority shareholder. This is a hostile takeover, not a stock purchase.

WOLFMondo
12-20-2004, 11:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
Come on WOLFMondo, how you can say pb helps? I have seen WOLF squadron all the cheatfest games I have played before COD, MOH SOF1 2, RTCW, NOVALOGIC BHD JO, BF1942 FH DC, BFVIETNAM, AAO and a few others. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im sorry, the Wolf thing is a tag from www.wolfgaming.net (http://www.wolfgaming.net) (over 5000 members), theres other clans etc that use the same tag but were a community. I'd rather you didn't go around spreading **** suggesting we cheat at anything!

PB does help, check server rankings, we run the No.1 BF1942 and mod server (for the Forgotten Hope mod) on that list and we've run PB from the second it was available for BF1942. We regularly use PB to ban people and share are PB ban lists with everbalance and other gamesites. Check out are BF1942 kicked banned section within are forums if you have doubts, since you failed to research before making such suggestions.

Your suggesting everyone at those games cheats? Your suggesting people at wolfgaming cheat? You don't know what the hell your talking about in that case and your accustations are completely unfounded.

Aaron_GT
12-20-2004, 02:40 PM
"EA is attempting to acquire 19.9% of Ubi. The next largest shareholder is composed of the collective stock of the founders (15%.) If this goes through, EA will be the majority shareholder. This is a hostile takeover, not a stock purchase."

Slashdot reports the largest shareholder is Guillemot with 24%.

OldMan____
12-20-2004, 02:54 PM
That explain why in Brasil PF is published as a EA game...

123-Wulf-JG123
12-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Believe me...20% stake is a MAJOR shareholder. EA will very much be in the driving seat.

Raptor_20thFG
12-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Oh Christ here comes Battlefield sturmovik http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Raptor_20thFG
12-20-2004, 05:08 PM
And I am not bashing anything just making my point known if I read UBISOFTS anuall reports right they are not doing as well as we might think The numbers arent there

LeadSpitter_
12-20-2004, 06:52 PM
jesus WolfMondo take a pill, i didnt acuse you guys of cheating but was saying since the wolf squadron hosts so many servers in all the games i mentioned they are aware of what passes pb it is what im saying.

Little overly defensive dont you think? And I have researched it and do know that many of the cheats are designed to pass pb specifically in all the games I mentioned above, and like i said it stops only 10% of the cheats then when evenbalance updates thier list theres new ones out the same day.

Agamemnon22
12-20-2004, 09:59 PM
The next few years will see a lot of gobbling up in this industry. It's unfortunate but it will happen. It'll end up like Hollywood with what? 4-5? companies running the show.

GvSAP_Wingnut
12-20-2004, 10:35 PM
hmmm... everyone seems to forget that it was Blue Byte who originally was to bring us IL2:Sturmovik... til they were "gobbled" by Ubi.

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=2316

Looks like they haven't been playing nice for awhile http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

IAFS_Painter
12-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Not sure about US or French stock-market rules, but 20% is heavy involvment.

That is probably a seat on the board, and pretty close to a compulsory take-over bid.

Doval_96th
12-21-2004, 06:07 AM
~S~

Two things:
1 - In Brasil PF is not released under EA label. UBI is on the box and is listed as "EA Partner" at ea.com.br website. Maybe that was a wise choice o use EA becasuse Brasilian distributors like Brasoft nd other sucks.

2 - Indeed, 20% is a lot, but won't grant any voice to EA on UBI. Every open market stock company is ran under a shareholders agreement to make a composition of the required 50% + 1 stocks for most of the decisions, or even more (Main decisions might require even more - 2/3 sometimes 3/4 in many countries). UBI people wouldn‚¬īt be stupid to the point of giving away the control of their company.

Have faith guys!

"In the end everything is gonna be alright. If it's not alright yet, it's because it is not the end!"

WOLFMondo
12-21-2004, 06:35 AM
jesus WolfMondo take a pill, i didnt acuse you guys of cheating but was saying since the wolf squadron hosts so many servers in all the games i mentioned they are aware of what passes pb it is what im saying.

Little overly defensive dont you think? And I have researched it and do know that many of the cheats are designed to pass pb specifically in all the games I mentioned above, and like i said it stops only 10% of the cheats then when evenbalance updates thier list theres new ones out the same day. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, might have been a bit OTT but I've been helping run things there for 18 months and your post came across slightly negative. Check out PT's.

It depends on the game. Take BF1942, the amount of cheaters before PB was allot higher but this is where Ubi and 1C can learn from EA and Dice. PB does work, it works pretty well but also the architecture of BF1942 lends to this. Everything online is done server side like hit detection which is governed by texture assignments. This means wallhacks and aimbots are very hard to make and most of them are pointless because they require the player to do certain things to get them to work (which visually can be seen by admins who know what there looking for) but the server side stuff is hard to get round.

When they get caught, PB bans them and also each CD key has a MD5 hash on the server that cannot be reverse engineered. So if you get caught cheating your CD key is banned meaning to play on that server you need to get another paid for copy of the game. You can also use this MD5 hash to see all the player names this person has ever used which is also handy. We've had instances on are Forgotten Hope server of some people being banned 2 or 3 times permanently for cheating, racist/anti social langauge or tk'ing who've gone and bought more copies of the game only to be banned again because then we catch them on there IP range also. The CD hash also allows for global tracking of statistics etc. All this information can also be shared at no harm to the owner of the key but can be used to shared with other server owners and everbalance to ban cheaters.

This prevents cheaters, having to shell out ‚£30 for another copy of the game if there caught misbehaving.

Can you see how useful that would be for any other game? I think it would be useful for FB/Aces/PF or future 1C products.

PB isn't all bad, much of it depends on the game itself and its architecture.

flyingscampi
12-21-2004, 09:20 AM
The reason why companies like EA are so successful is that they provide products that appeal to the mass market.

Don't blame the companies, blame the millions of consumers that fall for the slick marketing and buy, watch or listen to ****.

Look at the music industry and television, with ever increasing numbers of talentless 'celebrities'.

Everything is being dumbed down and it's getting on my tits (as you have probably gathered).

NORAD_Zooly10
12-21-2004, 10:26 AM
neither side are willing to discuss whats actually going on at the moment, it is expected that EA will mount a hostile takeover in the (near?) future.
business analysts have said this, these people really do understand how these things work.
it will be a sad day indeed when EA take control. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif
~S~
Zooly