PDA

View Full Version : You will never beleave this.

WilhelmSchulz
11-23-2005, 07:01 PM
I was doing the U-505 mission and I was using a XXI. I sank the Guadacanal then went to 220 meters. On the way down I was hit by a Hedgehog. After 1 hour of eveading I doged 1 set of DC's just to blunder into another. My stern was flooding. I knew I was going down so I orderd the German National Athem played. we dided a sailors death.

No it was just a single mission, but the point is they sank a type XXI U-Boat! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Azordia
11-23-2005, 07:36 PM
It is not the boat that makes the war, but the skill of the men at the stations and in command. You could play a nuclear sub and still be sunk if you run ahead flank with 8 destoyers on your tail. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Funkasoar
11-23-2005, 11:59 PM
How did you survive a hit from a hedge hog? As I understand them they are small depth charges which explode on contact meaning that you should have had a great big gaping hole in your subs side. Survival I thought was not part of the eventuality of a hedgehog hit.

blue_76
11-24-2005, 01:34 AM
yes, being hit by a hedgehog is certain doom.. u sure you got hit by one then went down to 220 meters? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

WilhelmSchulz
11-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Yes went to 83% hull integraty. And it didnt evean rupture the presher hull. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

P.S I did this with other boats and a Hedghog hit killed me.

WilhelmSchulz
11-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by WilhelmSchulz:
P.S I did this with other boats and a Hedghog hit killed me. I did the mission agian with a IXC/40. I made it to 220 meters suvirved for 20 minist then, I was hit with a hedghog and a few close DC's and sank to 350m before the boat imploded.

Ratek
11-24-2005, 02:16 PM
That is deep for a hedgehog... Could they even get that deep?

Schiffmorder
11-24-2005, 06:43 PM
You could play a nuclear sub and still be sunk if you run ahead flank with 8 destoyers on your tail.
Hmm a modern (American) nuke against 8 WW2 destroyers? I'll take the sub anytime. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Kaleun1961
11-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Ratek:

They keep sinking until they hit the ocean floor. The question is, how deep can they sink and still explode on contact?

Nighstalker
11-24-2005, 07:05 PM
I have to agree with K61, especially in a Seawolf class (35 knots submerged). BTW I'm back from Zihuatenajo, Mexico, and felt the lack of SH3 the entire time. Although I did pick up an interesting book entitled Black May that discussed in detail the actions of May 1943 (especially the battle for Convoy ONS.5) in which 41(!) U-Boats were sunk and another 37 Damaged. As I was sick with the flu the entire time (and still have it, H5N1?), I spent most of the day lying in bed reading it (Or running to the Head with a bad case of "The Trots" or as I more accurately call them, "The Sprints". I highly recommend it to my fellow Kaleun's interested in the subject.

Ratek
11-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratek:

They keep sinking until they hit the ocean floor. The question is, how deep can they sink and still explode on contact? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well that was the meaning... DCs also keep falling but many had a rather paltry 100 meter limit early on.

Kaleun1961
11-24-2005, 07:34 PM
I would think that the Hedgehog could kill down to any depth that a U-boat could reach. Since it used contact detonators all it had to do was hit a hard surface. I've read many articles which mention the depth limitations of DC's, but never anything which stated the Hedgehog had a depth limitation.

general_kalle
11-25-2005, 10:24 AM
although they where fired in groups. a single Hegdehog werent veary powerful

Nighstalker
11-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Actually a lot of submarines were sunk with just one Hedgehog. All it takes is one explosion on the hull at 200 meters to ruin your day.

Kaleun1961
11-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by general_kalle:

They were fired from a forward bank, 24 of them fired ahead in a circular pattern. Quite often one was all it took to outright kill or seriously damage a U-boat. Due to the dynamics of water pressure, the deeper the U-boat was when hit, the higher the damage inflicted.

The Hedgehog was developed to overcome the loss of sonar lock that resulted when the attacking ship approached a submerged U-boat. The deeper the U-boat dove, the sooner the attacker lost contact. As a forward firing weapon, the Hedgehog could be targeted at a submerged U-boat while sonar still held contact. If the Hedhgehog missed, the attacker knew they had missed, because there was no explosion. The water was also not disrupted as with conventional depth charges, so it was easier to reacquire sonar contact. If the Hedgehog hit, the explosion confirmed to the attacker that they were successful and had either destroyed or seriously damaged the U-boat.

The_Silent_O
11-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by general_kalle:

They were fired from a forward bank, 24 of them fired ahead in a circular pattern. Quite often one was all it took to outright kill or seriously damage a U-boat. Due to the dynamics of water pressure, the deeper the U-boat was when hit, the higher the damage inflicted.

The Hedgehog was developed to overcome the loss of sonar lock that resulted when the attacking ship approached a submerged U-boat. The deeper the U-boat dove, the sooner the attacker lost contact. As a forward firing weapon, the Hedgehog could be targeted at a submerged U-boat while sonar still held contact. If the Hedhgehog missed, the attacker knew they had missed, because there was no explosion. The water was also not disrupted as with conventional depth charges, so it was easier to reacquire sonar contact. If the Hedgehog hit, the explosion confirmed to the attacker that they were successful and had either destroyed or seriously damaged the U-boat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

very succintly put...Hedgehogs were deadly, even one hit, since it impacted the hull. Kind of a mechanical revenge for all those torpedoes that hit allied ships.

In SHIII, I've survived one hit, with lots of damage control, but if I get two hits close together, that's it! We're breathing water for the rest of our lives! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif