PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Engines

diomedes33
06-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Since the "patch" came out. I've been flying a much broader range of aircraft than usual. I took the 51 up and while climbing out at 100%, I noticed that the manifold pressure gauge was well over the redline. I can't remember what the units were but it was at least 30 degrees past the redline arc.

I'm guessing that all planes are immune to this damage because I've only blown an engine when over-reving it. Having the capability to push an engine beyond its design contraints may be the source of some descrepencies between real and sim.

This is not a whine for any side. The 51 is the only plane that I've seen with a redline on the pressure gauge. I know none of the german aircraft have them. The beef I have with the 190s are the capability to go beyond the optimimum rpm and actually increase power output. Why doesn't the engine start grinding like the 109 or at the very least power drop?

I'm sure that someone has seen this before, but I couldn't find any threads about it.

ColoradoBBQ
06-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Since the "patch" came out. I've been flying a much broader range of aircraft than usual. I took the 51 up and while climbing out at 100%, I noticed that the manifold pressure gauge was well over the redline. I can't remember what the units were but it was at least 30 degrees past the redline arc.

I'm guessing that all planes are immune to this damage because I've only blown an engine when over-reving it. Having the capability to push an engine beyond its design contraints may be the source of some descrepencies between real and sim.

Its not modelled because you just get a factory fresh plane everytime you fly but in reality, pushing your engine wears it out faster. That red line isn't the maximum limit but seems more of a best cuising power setting

This is not a whine for any side. The 51 is the only plane that I've seen with a redline on the pressure gauge. I know none of the german aircraft have them. The beef I have with the 190s are the capability to go beyond the optimimum rpm and actually increase power output. Why doesn't the engine start grinding like the 109 or at the very least power drop?

The Fw-190 uses a different prop pitch control than a Bf-109. It more of a computer that calculates the best pitch vs power for best effiency but when shut off, it becomes a contant RPM control on a seperate axis.

diomedes33
06-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks for clarifying that for me. I was thinking it was like a car redlining. You can go over for a short time, but it will blow in a short amount of time.

On the 190, if manual goes to a constant rpm. Why does it allow the engine to rev past 2700 (emergency power for the BMW 801 in the Fw-190A). If it was like the allied CPS props, it should hold it at the max rated power setting at 100% prop pitch. The 190 doesn't seem to hold anything constant in manual mode. In 100% pitch, I've seen it go as high as 3500 but seems to settle at about 2900 in fast cruise (this from 3.04, I haven't had a chance to really test in 4.00).

I'm not trying to say you're wrong Colorado BBQ, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Cragger
06-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Most of it has to do with the gauges being generic to nationality of the aircraft and are not calibrated to the parameters of the specific aircraft. Hence why most gauges are pegged 100% of the time even on cruise settings (A plethora of temperatures gauges come to mind) because their scale isn't correct to what their measuring.

diomedes33
06-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Ahh Thankyou. I always thought there something a little off in the gauges, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Redbasterd_FOG
02-08-2006, 03:25 AM
My only question is why are the american planes equiped with temp gauges that read in celcius? I'm sure the american pilots flying those planes back then didn't carry or have the time to read their celcius to farhenheight conversion tables, don't get me wrong I love this game its the best but come on! I know I know stupid americans with their standard units of measure I've heard it all before, but I fricking hate the metric sys and celcius too give me some historicly accurate gauges please!

Philipscdrw
02-08-2006, 03:47 AM
Why hate the Celsius scale? 100 degrees from freezing to boiling is simple and easy-to-understand. But a scale where 0 is what was thought to be the lowest possible temperature ever, and 100 is the normal operating temperature of a cow, is inelegant and cumbersome...

The Fahrenheit scale bewilders and infuriates me! Vivá la systemé internationale!

ImpStarDuece
02-08-2006, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Redbasterd_FOG:
My only question is why are the american planes equiped with temp gauges that read in celcius? I'm sure the american pilots flying those planes back then didn't carry or have the time to read their celcius to farhenheight conversion tables, don't get me wrong I love this game its the best but come on! I know I know stupid americans with their standard units of measure I've heard it all before, but I fricking hate the metric sys and celcius too give me some historicly accurate gauges please!

Maybe it's because the actual temperature gauges for the P-51 were in Celcius? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

A quick check of the USAAF P-51D manual shows that the Carbretor Air Temperature gauge, the Coolant Temperature gauge and the Oil Temperature gauge were all measured in degrees Celcius. All operating temperatures in the manual are given in degrees of celcius as well.

It's the same story for the British pilot's notes for the Mustang III.

quiet_man
02-08-2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Redbasterd_FOG:

maybe they had engines frozen or blown when pilots mistook F temp readings in difficult situations (flying very high was already a difficult situation with WWII planes killing many pilots)

"keep it between 0 and 100"
is easy to recognize without conversion

quiet_man

Stafroty
02-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Allied won the war!

Allied:
engines were superb
guns wer superb
pilots were superb
storied were superb
wrote the history

Axis:
planes sucked
Guns sucked
pilots sucked
stories were BS
read the history

We:
read the history
believe what our countrymen said after it or during it.
stick most of the time on one sided ´information´("truth".
know the best how things went cos we read bit about it.
are professionals about aircrafts because we have readed about them.
we have too much time.
are more right than the other virtual jockey who writed in these or those forums.
cannot admit easily that we are wrong.
dont believe in Oleg if he says "you are wrong, be sure", if the issue is against what you believe in.

RegRag1977
02-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Stafroty:
Allied won the war!

Allied:
engines were superb
guns wer superb
pilots were superb
storied were superb
wrote the history

Axis:
planes sucked
Guns sucked
pilots sucked
stories were BS
read the history

We:
read the history
believe what our countrymen said after it or during it.
stick most of the time on one sided ´information´("truth".
know the best how things went cos we read bit about it.
are professionals about aircrafts because we have readed about them.
we have too much time.
are more right than the other virtual jockey who writed in these or those forums.
cannot admit easily that we are wrong.
dont believe in Oleg if he says "you are wrong, be sure", if the issue is against what you believe in.

Sad, but maybe true... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

IIJG69_Kartofe
02-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Philipscdrw:
The Fahrenheit scale bewilders and infuriates me! Vivá la systemé internationale!

Metric system is not international, he's UNIVERSAL.

He is based on water! Every lifeform need water to exist and develop! So any lifeform,coming from earth or whatever in the universe, can understand the metric system because eveybody knows the properties of the water.

@ sealevel or 1013mb:

Solid at 0 ?c
Gas at 100?c

1 L of water = 1Dm³ = 10 cm/10cm/10cm = 1Kg
1 ton = 1000 L of water = 1 m³

Etc...

NonWonderDog
02-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Bah, setting the freezing and boiling points of water at 0 and 100 is as completely arbitrary as setting the freezing and boiling points of water at 32 and 212. How often do you measure the temperature of water?

Apparently Fahrenheit's scale was supposed to have the freezing point of water at 32 and human body temperature at 96 (which would make it trivially easy to graduate a thermometer), which put the boiling point of water at 212. The measurements were a bit off, though, so body temp is now defined as 98.2 degrees.

Fahrenheit works pretty well here in the States, where 0 is as cold as it usually gets and 100 is as hot as it usually gets... with a few exceptions every year.

VW-IceFire
02-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by NonWonderDog:
Bah, setting the freezing and boiling points of water at 0 and 100 is as completely arbitrary as setting the freezing and boiling points of water at 32 and 212. How often do you measure the temperature of water?

Apparently Fahrenheit's scale was supposed to have the freezing point of water at 32 and human body temperature at 96 (which would make it trivially easy to graduate a thermometer), which put the boiling point of water at 212. The measurements were a bit off, though, so body temp is now defined as 98.2 degrees.

Fahrenheit works pretty well here in the States, where 0 is as cold as it usually gets and 100 is as hot as it usually gets... with a few exceptions every year.
Having the freezing point of water set at 0 is perfect when you live in a climate that features snow and ice during the winter. Its VERY easy to deal with.

The old Standard/Imperial system I wish would just die...its counter intuitive and its a mishmash when various forms of measurement weren't really needed to work together.

That said...even in Canada its a bit contradictory. I know my weight in pounds and my height in feet but I drive my car using KPH and use liters of fuel to fill it. See it needs to die! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

berg417448
02-08-2006, 04:05 PM
I was always taught that Fahrenheit assigned his body temperature as 100 ?F but was suffering from a fever when he conducted his experiments so his scale was off. I have no way to know if this is true but it is what was taught in schools long ago.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Has anybody here ever lost an engine due to overrevving the propellor? You fail to throttle back or lower RPMs then go in a dive and shed your prop blades?

It was a real concern especially with the earlier models, and ones in which you HAD TO manually manage the engine.

ImpStarDuece
02-08-2006, 08:24 PM
You can over-rev and kill the engines on the Hurricane I, G.50, C.R. 42 and I think the Ki-43. Might be a few others but its been a while since i tested.

You really have to wind them up though. The Merlin II/III had an engine overspeed rating of 3,600 rpm for 30 seconds.

AKA_TAGERT
02-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Ah darn.. for a min there I thought I was going to see an head dress with feathers getting a shake down on his loin cloth

NonWonderDog
02-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by berg417448:
I was always taught that Fahrenheit assigned his body temperature as 100 ?F but was suffering from a fever when he conducted his experiments so his scale was off. I have no way to know if this is true but it is what was taught in schools long ago.

There are a bunch of different stories, but there would be absoultely no reason whatsoever to assign both 32 and 100 degrees to specific values. The freezing point of water was specifically chosen as 32 degrees by Fahrenheit (the good doctor was around mercury too much, or something http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif). The most credible story is that he chose 96 as body temperature so a thermometer could be created very easily by marking those two values and bisecting to get down to 1 degree markings.

Then the story goes that he measured 212 as the boiling point of water... but the thermometer was wrong for some reason. After Fahrenheit's death the temperature scale was readjusted so that the boiling point really was the 212 degrees he recorded... which means body temperature became 98.2 degrees. (Not 98.6... which is simply a conversion of 37 celsius.)

No idea how true any of that is.

Now... ON topic... I have to confirm that many, if not most, of the manifold pressure gauges are incorrect. They usually have the maximum historically correct (to keep the whiners away), but that's all that can be counted on. It's not a big deal, but you have to realise that you can't always fly by the numbers in the sim.

Stafroty
02-09-2006, 01:07 AM
they way I measure the things is the best because ive learned to live with it, no matter how stupid it is.

Philipscdrw
02-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by IIJG69_Kartofe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Philipscdrw:

Metric system is not international, he's UNIVERSAL.

He is based on water! Every lifeform need water to exist and develop! So any lifeform,coming from earth or whatever in the universe, can understand the metric system because eveybody knows the properties of the water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But what if the aliens have 8 fingers, so they count with 8 instead of 10, and they come from a planet where the atmospheric pressure is higher than ours, so the water boils at higher temperature? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Stafroty
02-11-2006, 01:18 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif