PDA

View Full Version : network with vista

Jediteo
09-13-2007, 12:50 PM
I just bought a new laptop computer, and it is my first time using vista. I can get my computer connected the the Home network, and can use the internet and such. My desktop can see and browse my shared files, but I cannot detect the desktop, but I did so briefly.

I have norton internet security 2007 on the laptop, and no firewall at all on the desktop

triad773
09-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Not sure if I understand the question:

do you mean you cannot see the Desktop on a networked computer? or

you cannot see the Desktop of your laptop (from another computer)?

I would think its a matter of setting your Desktop folder to share.

Jediteo
09-13-2007, 12:56 PM
ok sorry for my lack of clarity. The problem is file sharing, I can browse and use the files on the laptop from the desktop, but cannot do the same thing the other way. Don't know what happend, it work a few minutes ago, before I restarted the computer.

triad773
09-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Maybe set up an IP range that is acceptable for the Firewall - I have some familiarity with Vista's firewall, but that concept is from my use of Zonealarm firewall.

Once you get the Desktop folder accessible again (assuming you can,) suggest making a short cut to it so it won't get inaccessible again.

Besides the confirming the Sharing of the Desktop folder, not sure what else the gremlin could be.

Jediteo
09-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by triad773:
Maybe set up an IP range that is acceptable for the Firewall - I have some familiarity with Vista's firewall, but that concept is from my use of Zonealarm firewall.

Once you get the Desktop folder accessible again (assuming you can,) suggest making a short cut to it so it won't get inaccessible again.

Besides the confirming the Sharing of the Desktop folder, not sure what else the gremlin could be.

Found gremlin and toasted that sucker!. Changed so that both computers are in the same work group, works like a charm now

triad773
09-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Excellent- glad you found it. Yes that reminded me (belatedly) that XP and Vista tend to call networks different things other than "Workgroup" (after it was found that it was a common hack for people to 'guess' network paths on LANs they happened to get into).

Cheers

Triad