PDA

View Full Version : AI just runs away....

Drunken_Moose
03-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Hi there!

I play QMB against the AI to fine tune my dogfight abilities.

I currently play against an Average AI. I'm not ready for harder since, I suck, and past Average it is less realistic (makes no great maneuvers but snipes you in your cockpit from 1.5km with it's cannon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif)

Now, is there anyways to tweak the AI so it doesn't run away on the 1st occasion??

Right after the first pass (when we are head to head), I slip under or above it, vertical turn to go on it's 6 but what do I see? A chickened AI just running away then the fight turns into a very predictable 10 mins hunt...

Any ways to get the AI to maneuver for a kill without giving it uber sniping abilities?

Thanks.

Drunken_Moose
03-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Hi there!

I play QMB against the AI to fine tune my dogfight abilities.

I currently play against an Average AI. I'm not ready for harder since, I suck, and past Average it is less realistic (makes no great maneuvers but snipes you in your cockpit from 1.5km with it's cannon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif)

Now, is there anyways to tweak the AI so it doesn't run away on the 1st occasion??

Right after the first pass (when we are head to head), I slip under or above it, vertical turn to go on it's 6 but what do I see? A chickened AI just running away then the fight turns into a very predictable 10 mins hunt...

Any ways to get the AI to maneuver for a kill without giving it uber sniping abilities?

Thanks.

HotelBushranger
03-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Depends on the aircraft, if it' a bomber then it will continue is course, if it's a fighter it (should) turn to fight.

Drunken_Moose
03-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Typical example I can give is me - A6M5 - vs Corsair 43.

My skills are set to Average and the AI's one to Average too.

Shifty101
03-06-2005, 12:20 PM
The AI engages every enemy differently depending on the planes advantages and disadvantages. If the AI's plane is a better climber than your plane you will notice they try to extend and gain altitude when you get the jump on them. Try dogfighting against a plane that isn't as quick as yours so you don't have to chase them down.

VW-IceFire
03-06-2005, 12:31 PM
If you damage them, the AI will make the decision to retreat and return to base rather than face the enemy with battle damage.

Just as any human pilot would...

initjust
03-06-2005, 01:00 PM
"Just as any human pilot would... "

Certainly in real life this would be the case.

However, in a PC sim since there is no real danger, threat or chance of death or pain or even discomfort (except maybe for a tired butt after hours of sitting in the 'cockpit') it can be a rare thing to find a human PC sim pilot that flies realistically, or, in other words, as if their life depended on it.

Certainly there are some who do and these are those who are more interested in trying to recreate, as far as possible, the total experience of what aircombat during WWII might have been like than they are in the 'gaming' experience.

Drunken_Moose
03-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the tip Shifty!

Longjocks
03-06-2005, 04:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shifty101:
The AI engages every enemy differently depending on the planes advantages and disadvantages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think that's entirely true. I dogfight P-51s in an He-111 and the P-51 shows the same behaviour all the time (same as when I'm in a fighter), he runs. The only way to get them out of this little pattern is to turn your tail to them, then watch them come after you.

So, Moose, my advice is to just turn away to get them to change their attitude.

Flakenstien
03-06-2005, 05:15 PM
I have set up Quick missions to practice or test settings and I have had it where the enemy were C47s.
Go after them in any fighter and you'll witness the first ever Blue Angels C47 team! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
From what I can tell no matter what the AI is, once it is under attack it goes into "fighter" mode. I have seen some unbelivable flight performances from aircraft that in real life would never be able to accomplish.

DuxCorvan
03-06-2005, 05:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by initjust:
"Just as any human pilot would... "

Certainly in real life this would be the case.

However, in a PC sim since there is no real danger, threat or chance of death or pain or even discomfort (except maybe for a tired butt after hours of sitting in the 'cockpit') it can be a rare thing to find a human PC sim pilot that flies realistically, or, in other words, as if their life depended on it.

Certainly there are some who do and these are those who are more interested in trying to recreate, as far as possible, the total experience of what aircombat during WWII might have been like than they are in the 'gaming' experience. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And, once more, that's why I don't play online: I just get tired of flying with and against people who always always always engage and never never never try to flee or make a fast pass and go, despite the odds and tactical situation. Just ruins my immersion. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

VF-3Thunderboy
03-06-2005, 07:16 PM
What happens if you put 2 or 3 enemy in the game? I imagine that one would go after you???

All you guys talk about realism (or lack of) is good. There are actually tons of good pilots out there that would love to do proper tactics, etc... You need to start a 'team' that goes by some basic rules. As I recall, over 25 years old is one big rule. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif
Also, if yu have a team of 2 or 4, you can dictate terms in the sim online. You just have to keep trying...It is a pain, but its a big payoff if you invest the time...