PDA

View Full Version : AMAZING Site- Japanese POW Drawings in the USSR

joeap
07-20-2007, 03:01 PM
An amazing site with sketches by a former Japanese soldier prisoner in the USSR.

A Prisoner's Sketches (http://kiuchi.jpn.org/en/nobindex.htm)

Amazing how cheerful much of this is...among other things the guy shows amazement at the roles women played in Soviet society and the military, and the multiethnic nature of the USSR and the POW camps as well. No bitterness or hatred either which was nice.

Really check this out guys.

joeap
07-20-2007, 03:01 PM
An amazing site with sketches by a former Japanese soldier prisoner in the USSR.

A Prisoner's Sketches (http://kiuchi.jpn.org/en/nobindex.htm)

Amazing how cheerful much of this is...among other things the guy shows amazement at the roles women played in Soviet society and the military, and the multiethnic nature of the USSR and the POW camps as well. No bitterness or hatred either which was nice.

Really check this out guys.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
07-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Fascinating. Thanks for posting.

Haigotron
07-20-2007, 04:07 PM
WOW! Thanks for posting, this is really something!

plus i can try to read it in japanese, lest I forget what i've learned http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

cawimmer430
07-20-2007, 04:24 PM
I didn't even know the USSR had Japanese POWs! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

You learn something new everyday! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

zardozid
07-20-2007, 04:30 PM
This looks cool...
I will check it out tonight!
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chris0382
07-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Youll have to research Operation August Storm cawimmer. Russia agreed at Yalta Conference I belive to invade Manchuria in a time frame set forth by Churchill and the USA President.

Japan had 1 million ill prepared battle ravaged troops at that time in Asia but still resisted to surrender thier arms.

About 1.5 mill Russians hardened from the Western Front Invaded Japanese held lands and possibly causing Japan to surrender. There is a debate that Russia caused Japan to surrender and not the dropping of the A-bombs.

cawimmer430
07-20-2007, 04:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris0382:
Youll have to research Operation August Storm cawimmer. Russia agreed at Yalta Conference I belive to invade Manchuria in a time frame set forth by Churchill and the USA President.

About 1.5 mill Russians hardened from the Western Front Invaded Japanese held lands and possibly causing Japan to surrender. There is a debate that Russia caused Japan to surrender and not the dropping of the A-bombs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I knew there was some fighting between the Russians and Japanese, but I thought the Russians didn't take any Japanese prisoners because the Japanese had essentially never fired a shot against them during the war.

Chris0382
07-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Well Russia almost took Japanese held Korea (stopped at it borders I think) before Japan surrendered and may have been a catalyst for the Korean war as Russia was so close to invading it and occupied surrounding lands.

cawimmer430
07-20-2007, 05:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris0382:
Well Russia almost took Japanese held Korea (stopped at it borders I think) before Japan surrendered and may have been a catalyst for the Korean war as Russia was so close to invading it and occupied surrounding lands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, but I guess the major focus of POWs and Russia would always be on the German POWs - not Japanese, hence I've never heard about this. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chris0382
07-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Im not too sure why we in America dont know a lot about August Storm.

My Hiroshima teacher tells our class that America asked Russia to neutralize these 1 million trroops and then America dropped the bomb to assist forcing Japan to surrender yet also served as a warning to Russia to not go any further. She made a good case but also her mother was 1 mile from the Hiroshima blast and herself a leukemia survivor; so is also anti-American when it come to the A-bomb.

Bula
07-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Read about this back in the '80s. If I recall correctly, somewhere between 600,000 and one million Japanese military personnel of the Kwantung Army were taken prisoner by the Soviets. Very few were ever seen again. Google or Wiki it and you'll probably get all the details.

MarkSynthesis
07-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Fascinatingly poetic.....thanks for sharing!

Arms1
07-20-2007, 11:29 PM
very interesting; looks like they faired much better than the allied prisoners that were taken into thier custody.

stephen ambrose stated that he believed the end of ww2 was most likely because of the destruction of the japanese army group in manchuria rather than the dropping of the a-bombs.

Chris0382
07-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Well the question is

Did the USA hurry up and drop the A bombs before Russia could take over more land that the USA wanted them to.

It is a fact USA intelligence knew Japan was trying to arrange a surrender via Russian authorities. My Professor was quite adamant about that fact and pointed towards and provided de-classified documents.

zardozid
07-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I really like this web site...
The pictures are really charming and the text (all though ruff) is informative...I have heard of these prisoners before but haven't had the chance to hear many stories of their experiences...

Even though these solders spent many years in USSR (and Chinese) POW camps. I'm sure it was better then being in the south east asian war...at least some men returned home. I don't have my books right here but I think the death rate at Chinese POW camps was higher then USSR camps. (some men who lived through their incarceration in China never left after their release...also the exact number of POW's is not known)

thanks...

FE_pilot
07-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Ironic ain't it. What goes around comes around.

FatBoyHK
07-21-2007, 01:24 PM
really touching story. Sending out the URL now.

Chris0382
07-21-2007, 01:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FE_pilot:
Ironic ain't it. What goes around comes around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do believe in Karma

They were at least given blood building injections and not killed if they did not work.
They were fed if they worked. Much better than what our (USA-British) soldiers went thru.

Quote from an American POW after the war after surviving Japanese captivity.

"Just feed us and we would have been happy to build their railroad"

I can also see why in COD-2 we practiced throwing potatoes as hand grenades.

I cringe of what the German version of that would be. As I feel they were using the Japanese to rebuild while extracting revenge and rebuilding on the Germans.

What I dont know is if Japan had taken any Russian territory prior to the end of WW2.

zardozid
07-21-2007, 04:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
Originally posted by FE_pilot:
Ironic ain't it. What goes around comes around.

I do believe in Karma

They were at least given blood building injections and not killed if they did not work.
They were fed if they worked. Much better than what our (USA-British) soldiers went thru.

Quote from an American POW after the war after surviving Japanese captivity.

"Just feed us and we would have been happy to build their railroad"

I can also see why in COD-2 we practiced throwing potatoes as hand grenades.

I cringe of what the German version of that would be. As I feel they were using the Japanese to rebuild while extracting revenge and rebuilding on the Germans.

What I dont know is if Japan had taken any Russian territory prior to the end of WW2.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Fri February 02 2007 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back in early part of the 20th century the Japanese had a war with Russia...They took the area of China that the Russians took from the Chinese near the end of the time of the "opium war"...

If you think about it (a lot of) Japanese soldiers where as hard on themselfs for losing as they where with the countrys that lost to them...